PDA

View Full Version : Starship Troopers Effects Quality/Model Detail Setting

FraGTastiK
04-30-06, 02:57 PM
Not the most brilliant game and I know some people hate it with a passion but I just like shooting hordes of colorful bugs.

I have it patched up and use FW84.43 and the latest Audigy2ZS driver 4AA/16AF in drivers Starship Troopers game profile. Game will freeze when sound quality is set to high no matter what although that is what exactly the patch was meant to fix but it didnt. I just lowered the sound quality.

Whats bugging me the most is that the model and shadow details options are grayed out and set to low on both my 7800GTX and 7900GTX cards. I've tried changing those values in the global setting file. I tried values 2,3,4 with no luck those two options were still gayed out and set to low.

I know for a fact that the game has problems applying the correct setting for my graphics cards for instance GlowTrail, GlobalGlow and ParticleGlow values where set to zero although Glow value itself was set to 1. I turned them all on and it boosted the whole glow effect in game considerably so they should have been set to 1 but they were not. This makes me think that the same thing might be happening with Effects Quality/Model Details.

Some of the graphics realted values copied from my globalsetting file:

ShaderQuality: { "3" }
TextureQuality: { "1" }
AAQuality: { "0" }
Shadows: { "5" }
SoftShadows: { "1" }
GraphicsPipeline: { "1" }
GraphicsDynamicLights: { "4" }
EffectQuality: { "1" }
GraphicsClipPlanes: { "0" }
DisableSM2: { "0" }
DisableSM2i: { "0" }
EnableNVIDIAGlowFix: { "0" }

WallDecals: { "2" }
ModelDetail: { "1" }
SmallObjectCullDistance: { "0" }
AdaptivePerformance: { "2" }
BatchedAnims: { "0" }

InstalledLanguage: { "0" }
ShadowDependencies: { "1" }
ForcedFSAA: { "0" }
Glow: { "1" }
GlowTrail: { "1" }
GlobalGlow: { "1" }
ParticleGlow: { "1" }
Distort: { "1" }
Compile: { "0" }

The official FAQ (http://support.empireinteractive.com/default.aspx?MID=60568495217F&PID=2F3837D5-47D2-4A88-8783-988A3813236C) didnt help much either on those two settings. In fact they didnt even mention them.

I know this game is supposed to have bugs and lots of them :D but is the bug I just explained an intended one? meaning that you cannot change it no matter wich graphics card you have?

Any suggestions besides Add/Remove solution?

JohnEJohn
05-01-06, 06:01 AM
Not the most brilliant game and I know some people hate it with a passion but I just like shooting hordes of colorful bugs.

I have it patched up and use FW84.43 and the latest Audigy2ZS driver 4AA/16AF in drivers Starship Troopers game profile. Game will freeze when sound quality is set to high no matter what although that is what exactly the patch was meant to fix but it didnt. I just lowered the sound quality.

Whats bugging me the most is that the model and shadow details options are grayed out and set to low on both my 7800GTX and 7900GTX cards. I've tried changing those values in the global setting file. I tried values 2,3,4 with no luck those two options were still gayed out and set to low.

I know for a fact that the game has problems applying the correct setting for my graphics cards for instance GlowTrail, GlobalGlow and ParticleGlow values where set to zero although Glow value itself was set to 1. I turned them all on and it boosted the whole glow effect in game considerably so they should have been set to 1 but they were not. This makes me think that the same thing might be happening with Effects Quality/Model Details.

Some of the graphics realted values copied from my globalsetting file:

ShaderQuality: { "3" }
TextureQuality: { "1" }
AAQuality: { "0" }
Shadows: { "5" }
SoftShadows: { "1" }
GraphicsPipeline: { "1" }
GraphicsDynamicLights: { "4" }
EffectQuality: { "1" }
GraphicsClipPlanes: { "0" }
DisableSM2: { "0" }
DisableSM2i: { "0" }
EnableNVIDIAGlowFix: { "0" }

WallDecals: { "2" }
ModelDetail: { "1" }
SmallObjectCullDistance: { "0" }
AdaptivePerformance: { "2" }
BatchedAnims: { "0" }

InstalledLanguage: { "0" }
ShadowDependencies: { "1" }
ForcedFSAA: { "0" }
Glow: { "1" }
GlowTrail: { "1" }
GlobalGlow: { "1" }
ParticleGlow: { "1" }
Distort: { "1" }
Compile: { "0" }

The official FAQ (http://support.empireinteractive.com/default.aspx?MID=60568495217F&PID=2F3837D5-47D2-4A88-8783-988A3813236C) didnt help much either on those two settings. In fact they didnt even mention them.

I know this game is supposed to have bugs and lots of them :D but is the bug I just explained an intended one? meaning that you cannot change it no matter wich graphics card you have?

Any suggestions besides Add/Remove solution?

Finished this about a monthh ago it's a pretty good game although I think that it get's very repetitive VERY quickly.

Anyway I think in the options there is an option for automatic LOD or automatic quality, turn that off and the two greyed out options should be available.

FraGTastiK
05-01-06, 08:47 AM
Thanks a lot! Still trying to wrestle out the sound issue tho.

robertonumeruno
05-02-06, 11:21 PM
Just trach it and play a man game like BF2 or FEAR. you've definately got the system specs... Starship troopers is bad ****... see? look what Mr. smiley has to say--->:thumbdwn: now do you believe me?

Peoples-Agent
05-02-06, 11:23 PM
As a huge fan of the first film, this game was a complete let down.
Absolutely gutted.

Mr_LoL
05-03-06, 12:02 AM
I didnt mind the game it is just that performance was a let down when I played it on my GTX

FraGTastiK
05-03-06, 03:45 AM
LOL well I had two copies of this game on DVD that came with my 7900s so I wanted to give it a try.

As I said I know some people hate this game with a passion and thats right performance is also somewhat bad and the game is not what the sum of all its parts is expected to be. It has glow, lots of bumpmaps, soft shadows, perpixel dynamic lighting huge number of enemies, depth of field (I guess), particle effects like dust kicking up in the storm... but seems like all those effects wont necessarily guarantee you a good game . Also about performance the STRANGELITE Devs said they got CPU bound pretty quick on this game and that you wont be able to max out the 7 series capabilities because of the CPU limitation.