PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it from creative audigy 2 zs to x-fi

Pages : [1] 2

antecs2
04-30-06, 06:08 PM
who has replaced there audigy2 with a x-fi.is there much difference in sound play games watch dvds ,cds.it is on sale this week at one of the big comp stores for $80 ar.been reading reviews and they seem to be 50 50 .have klipsch 5.1 ultras .sorry if this has already been posted thanks antecs2

jAkUp
04-30-06, 06:19 PM
I did, and I think it was well worth the upgrade. BF2 and Ultra sound quality is amazing.

keith33
04-30-06, 06:55 PM
I did and I only went for the XtremeMusic and it still OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWNS. I listen to music on my computer now instead of my home theatre because the X-Fi just that good.

ViN86
04-30-06, 07:07 PM
I did and I only went for the XtremeMusic and it still OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWNS. I listen to music on my computer now instead of my home theatre because the X-Fi just that good.
statements like these are the reason why my account hovers in a low range, haha. i have been thinkin about getting an xtreme music card.:D

Banko
04-30-06, 07:26 PM
Definetly worth it just due to the fact that the Audigy 2 doesn't so better then an old Aureal Vortex 2 I got in an older pc. Though the x-fi actually sounds better, only thing pissing me off about it are the game/ent/creater modes pain in the ass.

superklye
04-30-06, 07:38 PM
Man, how many threads do we have to have about this? Can't people just search "X-Fi"? Is it that hard?

Dazz
05-01-06, 02:20 AM
I did, and I think it was well worth the upgrade. BF2 and Ultra sound quality is amazing.
I did also to a X-Fi Fatal1ty kicks ass. I also tried using the onboard AudigySE with my MSI board and the diffrence was like going from a Geforce2 GTS to a Geforce 6800 lol.

Muppet
05-01-06, 02:33 AM
Yeah another thumbs up here for the X-FI over the Audigy 2ZS.

Slyder
05-01-06, 02:51 AM
I want one.. but I cant afford one.... :(

Cptobvious
05-02-06, 02:37 AM
Do you need to have top end speakers to hear the difference? I dont have my gigaworks 7.1 right now...Im stuck with the crappy creative 7.1's? :(

would it still make a huge difference in sound quality if I go from a audigy 2 to a x-fi with the crappy speakers?

dwhjr77
05-02-06, 05:22 PM
Best to have good speakers before a good sound card. Me, I have both. I also used onboard sound for ages, because I thought sound cards where a scam (plus I always heard people had issues).

X-fi was totally worth it for me and I've had zero issues with mine.

john19055
05-02-06, 06:34 PM
I would'nt call it the difference between night and day ,but the X-FI is better and if you use headphone then I would say the difference is like night and day.

einstein_314
05-02-06, 06:34 PM
Here's another vote for getting an X-fi. I had an Audigy2 ZS and upgraded to the Fatal1ty X-Fi and I love it. Haven't had a single issue with it and my NF4 mobo. I heard a definate increase is sound quality.

agentkay
05-02-06, 07:37 PM
I checked the prices in my region:

XtremeMusic - 95 Euros
Fatality - 170 Euros

Is the price difference (75 Euro, around $85) acceptable for what I get extra with the Fatality version or rather not?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Lazaredz
05-02-06, 09:24 PM
I moved from a SB Live value and 4.1 Cambridge Soundworks 2000 (Creative speakers) to a X-Fi XM and Logitech 5300e 5.1.

WOW!!! Is the word I'm looking for. What a difference, especially when playing music. The entire "mode changing" is a pain in the ass but for $250 shipped from newegg, it really is a GREAT step up.

Oh, and gaming with it kicks ass too!!

einstein_314
05-02-06, 10:52 PM
I checked the prices in my region:

XtremeMusic - 95 Euros
Fatality - 170 Euros

Is the price difference (75 Euro, around $85) acceptable for what I get extra with the Fatality version or rather not?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Umm, well, the Fatal1ty comes with the front bay and the 64MB of X-Ram. Other than that, they are identical. So if those features are worth it to you, then I guess yes. I love the front bay because my headphones (Sennheiser HD555's) plug right into the 1/4" headphone jack on it and there is a volume knob for them. Also, I use the optical in for ripping cd's with lame sauce copy protection. Very handy indeed. As for the X-Ram....no games use it yet so I don't know if it is worth it....

If you don't really want the X-Ram, get the platinum version. It's the same as the fatal1ty but with no X-Ram (or I guess the same as the Xtreme Music but with the front bay).

agentkay
05-03-06, 05:15 AM
Umm, well, the Fatal1ty comes with the front bay and the 64MB of X-Ram. Other than that, they are identical. So if those features are worth it to you, then I guess yes. I love the front bay because my headphones (Sennheiser HD555's) plug right into the 1/4" headphone jack on it and there is a volume knob for them. Also, I use the optical in for ripping cd's with lame sauce copy protection. Very handy indeed. As for the X-Ram....no games use it yet so I don't know if it is worth it....

If you don't really want the X-Ram, get the platinum version. It's the same as the fatal1ty but with no X-Ram (or I guess the same as the Xtreme Music but with the front bay).

Thats interesting, thank you for your response. :thumbsup:

einstein_314
05-03-06, 07:26 PM
Thats interesting, thank you for your response. :thumbsup:
No problemo!

Cptobvious
05-13-06, 06:25 PM
Best to have good speakers before a good sound card. Me, I have both. I also used onboard sound for ages, because I thought sound cards where a scam (plus I always heard people had issues).

X-fi was totally worth it for me and I've had zero issues with mine.

ao its not really worth getting with like decent speakers? cause I already got a audigy 2 zs

EciDemon
05-22-06, 07:20 AM
The X-Fi is an awesome card, i have the fatality pro one with the front bay and xram. Wonderfull.

The sound quallity is really good i think. Nice Asio support too :)
The new Eax 5 is awesome (quake 4)

But there are problems with some setups, and creative (as usuall) havent done much to solve it yet.
You might get random popps and cracks, and/or very distorted sound output all of a sudden. It happens on my system every now and then. Dosent matter if its a game running or winamp. Hopefully there will be a fix for this.
( http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61926 )

Anyhow,

As for the X-Ram....no games use it yet so I don't know if it is worth it....

Quake 4 actually uses the extra onboard ram if you have it, theres a console command to see it in action, "listsounds" or something like that.
Thats the only game I know of that uses the ram.
You need the latest official drivers for it to work. (if you dont have 'em q4 would just crash anyway)

skoprowski
05-22-06, 07:51 AM
I thought Battlefield 2 uses the Xram...

jolle
05-22-06, 08:04 AM
At this time I wouldnt say its worth it..
I bought a extrememusic edition when they came out, and Im happy with it, was a pretty big step up from integrated Realtek sound.
But Im a bit dissapointed with the software support.. sofar the only thing using the extra features is Q4 which uses some of the EAX5 functions via OpenAL.
And BF2 offers more sounds, but doesnt really use EAX5 any as I understand it..

crainger
05-22-06, 08:07 AM
I thought Battlefield 2 uses the Xram...

jolle is right.

BF2 doesn't use the X-RAM, but needs one of the X-FI series for the ultra quality and extra voices.

A X-FI was on my list. The Elite Pro to be exact. But I bought a new car instead ;)

jolle
05-22-06, 08:21 AM
jolle is right.

BF2 doesn't use the X-RAM, but needs one of the X-FI series for the ultra quality and extra voices.
I never said it doesnt use the X-RAM, dunno if it does and the version I got doesnt have it.. But I think I read somewhere that it doesnt use it.
I said it doesnt use EAX5.

RAY16
05-22-06, 09:56 AM
I guess I'll ask this here since it's pretty much on-topic... Would it be worth buying an X-Fi XtremeMusic if I only have 2.1 speakers? I'm on ALC650 integrated audio at the moment.