PDA

View Full Version : Reusable Aftermarket Memory Cooling

Q
04-30-06, 06:11 PM
I'm looking to go towards a watercooling setup for my 7800GTX. The block I will be able to use over and over, regardless of which I block I finally choose. However, I hate the idea of having to shell out for those little, and barely usable, sticky heatsinks for the memory.

My question is, is there a reusable type of heatsink for the memory on video cards? If not, where is the cheapest place to buy the heatsinks at? Or, even better, where can I find my own thermal adhesive for a CHEAP price. I can't find the 3M stuff anywhere for a decent price...can any of you guys?

jAkUp
04-30-06, 06:14 PM
You can get the Arctic Adhesive stuff, I've used that before and it works pretty good.

Q
04-30-06, 10:52 PM
You can get the Arctic Adhesive stuff, I've used that before and it works pretty good.

Looks pretty good. Just a few questions...

How long do the tubes last. How many heatsinks can you cover with the tubes? Do they last through an SLI setup and then some?

Is it really that hard to remove the stuff? I will want to sell the cards one day and not everyone likes aftermarket cooling...

jAkUp
04-30-06, 11:46 PM
Its alot of stuff. My guess is you could probably finish enough for 5 SLI setups.

Removing the stuff is alot more difficult. You can try twisting it, or putting it in a freezer bag, inside an antistatic bag, freeze it, then snap the memory off.

Or you can get some of the Arctic remover stuff... that might work :)