PDA

View Full Version : I need cooling help -> Sli GT

GuOD
05-01-06, 09:41 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm having real trouble cooling my 7900GTs and I don't know what to do :( I have no modding skills whatsoever so I can't figure out how to attach fans to random places.

I have an antec p180 with solid airflow. Nexus 120mm silent front intake, 3 antec tricools running on low. Dual 7900GT @ 640/890 with zalman vf700 on each. PCI slots' brackets inbetween video cards are left open to try and improve airflow also. I was thinking I could possibly swap out the Nexus fan for a 5v 120mm Panaflo Low, but I'm not sure how much difference it will make.

Running ATiTool for 7 minutes (since it only uses 1 card) can get the first card to 95c.

Q
05-01-06, 10:35 AM
I think you problem lies with those Zalman's. The 700s CAN dissipate the heat of a 7900, but it wasn't designed to. Plus, they need a lot of breathing room to be efficient. You can make it work though with plenty of cool air...

Your best bet, other than changing your coolers to a sawed of Silencer Rev3, would be to add a STRONG 120MM, like the panaflo you mentioned, to the front of the case. Take out the hard drive rack in the center section, and add the fan here. Actually, you could probably just move the top port hole 120MM down and turn it to high and put your silent fan up there. This might help if it has a clear passage with no cables stopping the airflo.

Oh yeah, and TAKE OFF THE 80MM FAN SLOT FOR THE VIDEO CARD!!! I have read probably 5 or 6 reviews of that case and they ALL say that the slot, being used or not, HURTS the temperatures for the videocard. I've seen some reviews say as much as 15 degrees C.

See what happens when you switch things up...

GuOD
05-01-06, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input. I was actually thinking of swapping the Nexus w/ the top fan, it's just that I really don't want a loud case :( For the next little while I guess it won't matter because I won't be sleeping beside my computer.

I definitely DID NOT install the VGA duct.. it just doesn't make sense to!

The zalmans BARELY fit in my Sli-DR. I had to remove the backplate off the 2nd card just so that the first card's fan could spin!

HDD bay is out already, so I'll swap the fans and see if it helps at all.