PDA

View Full Version : Conroe and chipset support

Joe Public
05-03-06, 04:56 PM
Which current chipsets support/can be made to support Conroe? A friend of mine has an i945-based rig, he wonders if he can do anything to make it Conroe-compatible. Or is he going to have to replace the motherboard?

ViN86
05-03-06, 05:00 PM
this is a very good question. i heard that conroe will be a socket 775, but the thing is, it might not be the same pin configuration. much like how the AM2 socket is 940 pins, but different from that of the socket 940.

malachi1313
05-03-06, 06:39 PM
Everything being speculated on whether Conroe will be supported in any current chipset is rumor. Wait until the chip comes out and be sure. read this thread:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96989

Demon_82
05-03-06, 06:42 PM
There are some motherboard makers as Intel itself or even Asrock that have announced revisions of some models supporting Conroe... it will worl with s775 boards, but only with the revised ones. It's a hardware matter, from the components that provide the stabilized tension to the CPU, Conroe needs some extra components not present in older s775 boards, but makers are adding them fastly in new revisions of their models an in some newer models.

ViN86
05-04-06, 12:03 AM
There are some motherboard makers as Intel itself or even Asrock that have announced revisions of some models supporting Conroe... it will worl with s775 boards, but only with the revised ones. It's a hardware matter, from the components that provide the stabilized tension to the CPU, Conroe needs some extra components not present in older s775 boards, but makers are adding them fastly in new revisions of their models an in some newer models.
so if i read this correctly, people with newer socket775 mobos will probably be able just to switch over? or have they not begun making the changes?

Subtestube
05-04-06, 02:40 AM
so if i read this correctly, people with newer socket775 mobos will probably be able just to switch over? or have they not begun making the changes?

I believe that currently only the 975 chipset is compatible. As far as I know (and this is ultimately from reading, not personal knowledge), none of the others are going to be made compatible at a later date, however all 975s should work.

jAkUp
05-04-06, 03:13 AM
Yup, from what I understand it will work in 975 boards with a BIOS flash.

You are better off waiting for NForce5 for conroe. It will be socket 775.

Joe Public
05-04-06, 04:14 AM
Ok, so it looks like he'll have to swap out the mobo. Too bad, considering he just bought the system, but that's life I guess.

Monolyth
05-04-06, 01:37 PM
Yup, from what I understand it will work in 975 boards with a BIOS flash.

You are better off waiting for NForce5 for conroe. It will be socket 775.

Unfortunately this is not true, it is a hardware issue, something about the voltage controller, I have a link at home to the article on a forum post. Apparently revisions will be made to the 975x boards by various manuf's to add support. Also in the article they mentioned that 965xe boards should support the Conroe without any hardware changes.

ViN86
05-04-06, 06:01 PM
Any release date on this? I'd like to see a nice SLI Conroe board with OC fun-factor^^
ill be waiting for the DFI nforce5 sli solution :D

Fotis
05-12-06, 02:28 AM
I'd personally go for an Intel mobo cause it will support both SLI and Crossfire while NF5 will probably only support SLI.

Fotis
05-12-06, 03:48 AM
Is that fixed, Intel is going to support SLI?
No my mistake.There is only unofficial support via modified bios so no SLI+Crossfire yet.:o

Goran
05-12-06, 09:35 AM
i975 chipset will be the "high end" solution and for mainstream the new (not yet released) i965 chipset. Boards with i965 will be available in July in many different configurations.