PDA

View Full Version : Did you also preorder Unreal 2

Pages : [1] 2

Master
01-31-03, 07:10 AM
I did at http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/Go.asp for L27. Good price if you ask me considering it`s an preorder.

However min.specs for hard drive are astonishing : 3 GB !!! Damn, it`s gonna have hard time fitting into my 256 MB. It`s time for upgrade I think.

Is anybody here looking forward to it very much ? I`m still having Unreal 1 at my drive, and enjoying it in high resolutions with AF from time to time. I just hope it won`t take me a year through 2 upgrades to have a playable Unreal 2 as was the situation with Unreal 1 (at the time I`ve been playing it in 320x200 - those were the times) .

BTW, do you think it`ll be playable smooth at 1280x1024 (of course without AF - I`ve got only GF3) with my GF3TI500 on AMDXP2100? Considering UT2003 is a bit less HW demanding and I`m having problems to play it in res 1280x1024, probably not. But OC`ed 9700PRO should do the job.

volt
01-31-03, 07:43 AM
I think you really need a good box to run this game with all the eye candy. Plus 2.1GB's of space...crazy :)

SavagePaladin
01-31-03, 09:12 AM
I got teh preorder down :)

The Baron
01-31-03, 09:13 AM
I KNEW God created 240 gig SATA RAID arrays for a reason... :p

Oh well, I won't have those until I get my hands on a Hammer.... :bleh:

SavagePaladin
01-31-03, 09:22 AM
http://nforcershq.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=221
according to this, Athlon 64 won't launch until September! eew :p

The Baron
01-31-03, 09:25 AM
Then I guess I'll just have to buy an Opteron, won't I? :bleh:

I like the :bleh: smiley face a lot... :p

Seriously, though, I'm going to wait... P4s could be hella fast by then, too.

SavagePaladin
01-31-03, 09:46 AM
Yeah well I may go with a nforce2 by that time. damn!

Smokey
01-31-03, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Master
I did at http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/Go.asp for L27. Good price if you ask me considering it`s an preorder.

However min.specs for hard drive are astonishing : 3 GB !!! Damn, it`s gonna have hard time fitting into my 256 MB. It`s time for upgrade I think.

Is anybody here looking forward to it very much ? I`m still having Unreal 1 at my drive, and enjoying it in high resolutions with AF from time to time. I just hope it won`t take me a year through 2 upgrades to have a playable Unreal 2 as was the situation with Unreal 1 (at the time I`ve been playing it in 320x200 - those were the times) .

BTW, do you think it`ll be playable smooth at 1280x1024 (of course without AF - I`ve got only GF3) with my GF3TI500 on AMDXP2100? Considering UT2003 is a bit less HW demanding and I`m having problems to play it in res 1280x1024, probably not. But OC`ed 9700PRO should do the job.

For anyone in the uk, a good place to buy your games at good prices is Gameplay.com (http://www.gameplay.com)

Unreal2 on gameplay is the same price as WH Smith but with free del. WH Smith you will pay another 2.50 for postage ;) I still buy my games from them, even though im in France, I still want my games in english :p

Master
01-31-03, 11:30 AM
For anyone in the uk, a good place to buy your games at good prices is Gameplay.com
Well, I live in Slovakia, Central Europe, so there`s never free shipping. And I have asked our well-known Game stores about Unreal 2 today. Can you imagine what was the answer ? "Ehm, what is it Unreal 2 ? You probably mean Unreal Tournament".

Geeeesssus. Another shop didn`t even know that it is on preorder. And then I was told that maybe in April or May due to localization to our language. Damn, if I preorder it, I may get it within two weeks, while in store maybe in two months. Now that`s difference.

saturnotaku
01-31-03, 11:43 AM
Methinks I'll be heading to EB this evening to place my preorder. Since my video card is now spitting out the frames I expect, I think it's gonna look great. :D

digitalwanderer
01-31-03, 12:21 PM
Pre-ordered it and am downloading a temp copy now.... (Does it make it less warez-ish if you've already BOUGHT the game? This is a bit of a grey area for me.... )

SavagePaladin
01-31-03, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Pre-ordered it and am downloading a temp copy now.... (Does it make it less warez-ish if you've already BOUGHT the game? This is a bit of a grey area for me.... )
Err, well, yeah. Unless you share it or cancel the order based on it.

poursoul
01-31-03, 12:35 PM
if the money has already been pulled off your credit card then you are cool. If you only put a down then it is pretty much warez.

|JuiceZ|
01-31-03, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
Err, well, yeah. Unless you share it or cancel the order based on it.

yea I tend to agree, although I can understand the feeling of waiting to have a 'temporary' copy in the meantime :p Anyways thx for the thread I almost forgot about preorder, I'll run by Software Etc and do it tonight. btw, in most places throughout the US you're more than likely to snag a copy of a new game @ the store b4 its delievered to yer door.

saturnotaku
01-31-03, 03:09 PM
Hey Juice, is Software Etc now GameStop by you? All the ones around here have converted, along with Funcoland. GameStop is evil - EB is where it's at for me. :D

Only 2 hours left of work until the weekend and the time when I place my preorder. :cool:

|JuiceZ|
01-31-03, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Hey Juice, is Software Etc now GameStop by you? All the ones around here have converted, along with Funcoland. GameStop is evil - EB is where it's at for me. :D

Only 2 hours left of work until the weekend and the time when I place my preorder. :cool:

yea they're beginning to but we still have a couple Software Etc's left. o and the only reason I'm grabbing it from them is because they'll always match EB's price and I picked ut2k3 from them last yr almost a week b4 everyone else had it, although it was hidden behind the counter. :D

Smokey
01-31-03, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Master
Well, I live in Slovakia, Central Europe, so there`s never free shipping. And I have asked our well-known Game stores about Unreal 2 today. Can you imagine what was the answer ? "Ehm, what is it Unreal 2 ? You probably mean Unreal Tournament".

Geeeesssus. Another shop didn`t even know that it is on preorder. And then I was told that maybe in April or May due to localization to our language. Damn, if I preorder it, I may get it within two weeks, while in store maybe in two months. Now that`s difference.

Oh ok, well in that case you will pay 4 postage anywhere in europe, they have alsways been great.

demonized
01-31-03, 04:46 PM
Gamespy just reviewed the game and gave it a 7.6 .
http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/january03/unreal2pc/

SavagePaladin
01-31-03, 04:53 PM
IGN gave it an 82% too.

Waitin for more opinions.

As to Gamespy, they talk about it being too much like a shooter. Well, guess what, its...a shooter.....what the hell did they expect :p

digitalwanderer
01-31-03, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
As to Gamespy, they talk about it being too much like a shooter. Well, guess what, its...a shooter.....what the hell did they expect :p

Actually, I'd give a lot right now for a shooter that WAS a shooter again....I'm really looking forward to this game no matter what the reviews are. I was a big Unreal nut and have been waiting a long time for this.

Thanks for the opinions on me rationalization, that's kind of how I felt about it. I want to buy the game anyways just to support it, but I also just flat-out WANT IT too. ;)

SavagePaladin
01-31-03, 10:24 PM
I guess I should be used to people expecting too much of everything by now.

But hey, I'll enjoy the game :)

StealthHawk
01-31-03, 11:17 PM
does anyone have the word on how U2 performs? i want to buy it, but not unless i can enjoy it.

i think i may have to "demo" U2 next week to see how it works on my system ;)

UT2003 ran decently well, but since this is a single player game i expect it to tax the hardware a bit more.

The Baron
01-31-03, 11:52 PM
Lemme know, Stealth, because I'm wondering exactly the same thing.

|JuiceZ|
01-31-03, 11:56 PM
I've actually heard guys w/ 2.5ghz p4 and 1gig of ram w/ gf4's being unable to run it @ 1024*768 max settings, we'll see....

volt
02-01-03, 12:48 AM
Nah...1280x960, max settings not below 22 fps :p