PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion HDR brightness - PC / 360

Arioch
05-04-06, 02:50 AM
Anyone else here play this game or seen it enough for both the PC and Xbox 360 and notice a difference in the HDR brightness between the two?

I was originally playing this on my 360 using a Toshiba rear-projection CRT and then a Polaroid LCD and the HDR lighting was pretty much the same between the two. When I installed the PC version last weak on my PC using my Mitsubishi 2070SB CRT I noticed the overall brightness in the game, especially HDR, was a lot darker than what I saw on the 360 even after adjusting the contrast/brightness on my monitor. None of the HDR values I adjusted in the .ini seemed to changed the oeverall brightness of the game.

While I think the game looks pretty good on my PC I did prefer the brighter HDR on the console version so I was wondering if anyone else noticed this and maybe knew of a way to increase the HDR brightness for the PC.

AthlonXP1800
05-04-06, 04:07 AM
Well I seem disagreed with Xbox 360 HDR, it overbright too much and the emperor looked like he been living dead for 2 weeks. The PC version looked much better, here (http://xboxer360.blogspot.com/2006/01/difference-in-xbox-360-and-pc-version.html) are 2 screenshots compare the difference with Xbox 360 and PC version.

Arioch
05-04-06, 04:33 AM
I can agree with you on the indoor scenes but I liked how the outdoor areas looked on the 360 - not having much like changing .ini parameters :(

nekrosoft13
05-04-06, 01:53 PM
Well I seem disagreed with Xbox 360 HDR, it overbright too much and the emperor looked like he been living dead for 2 weeks. The PC version looked much better, here (http://xboxer360.blogspot.com/2006/01/difference-in-xbox-360-and-pc-version.html) are 2 screenshots compare the difference with Xbox 360 and PC version.

it looks allot better on my pc then in that provided screenshot

agentkay
05-04-06, 02:03 PM
it looks allot better on my pc then in that provided screenshot

That picture comparison is BS. The first screenshot is from the early beta E3 version which still had shadows for all objects. Console and PC version are the same, except that you can used higher AF with the PC version and when you max out ingame sliders, objects have a further draw distance as well. This has been proven by OWA for instance and another guy here on nvnews.

CaptNKILL
05-04-06, 02:03 PM
Athlon, that was one of those bullsh** pictures that were floating around months ago.

Look at the date.

EDIT: agentkay beat me to it...

Arioch
05-04-06, 11:17 PM
I don't want to turn this into a 360 vs. PC debate - I just noticed that the HDR on the 360 is a lot brighter than on the PC and was trying to find a way to tweak the .ini to make the outdoor areas look brighter.

CaptNKILL
05-04-06, 11:49 PM
I don't want to turn this into a 360 vs. PC debate - I just noticed that the HDR on the 360 is a lot brighter than on the PC and was trying to find a way to tweak the .ini to make the outdoor areas look brighter.
It probably has a lot to do with the screen youre using it on. TVs are usually much much much brighter than monitors, and most of the time they are a bit blurrier. Those two things can probably make it seem stronger on the tv. I think there are ways to change the HDR settings but Im not sure how. Check around the tweaking threads a bit, or do a forum search for it.

Toss3
05-06-06, 02:09 AM
Couldn't you try to connect your comp to your tv and see if they look more similar?

Arioch
05-06-06, 04:11 AM
Well I hooked up my 360 to my computer monitor and noticed it wasn't as bright as my LCD. I know there are differences between LCDs and CRTs but I did not think it was that dramatic. On my Mitsubishi I can turn on one of two Superbright modes but is a bit overkill lighting-wise. I am pleasantly surprised how well my budget LCD tv looks overall though.