PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help! Please!

SLippe
05-04-06, 12:11 PM
Okay, I got up this morning, walked over to my computer to switch it on and I guess along the way, not sure how, I built up a little static. As my finger touched the power button of course I got a little shock, like normally happens in house person-to-person, and my system came on. However, that's all it does! Everything has power, but the HDD light stays constantly lit, I have no monitor, but video card is running. Everything is running, but no boot.

So, I'm thinking something happened to my mobo or my cpu. Which is it? How is the easiest way to tell?

I'm so damn mad right now! :fu:

Please, help me!

CaptNKILL
05-04-06, 12:29 PM
Try this:

Unplug the cable from the power supply.

Use a screwdriver (with a plastic handle ;)) and fish around where the power cable connects on the power supply. When it connects 2 of the pins itl snap. This will discharge the power supply.

This usually fixes power problems like this.

Good luck!

SLippe
05-04-06, 12:32 PM
Try this:

Unplug the cable from the power supply.

Use a screwdriver (with a plastic handle ;)) and fish around where the power cable connects on the power supply. When it connects 2 of the pins itl snap. This will discharge the power supply.

This usually fixes power problems like this.

Good luck!
So I touch the screwdriver to the 24pin connector on the mobo once I have the powersupply cable unplugged from it? And the power off of course.

CaptNKILL
05-04-06, 12:45 PM
So I touch the screwdriver to the 24pin connector on the mobo once I have the powersupply cable unplugged from it? And the power off of course.
nononono

The power connector on the back of the power supply.

On the outside.

SLippe
05-04-06, 12:49 PM
Okay, got a big ol' nasty screwdriver and fished around, making sure I touched the 3 prongs, mainly focused on the two top ones. Nothing happened.

Tygerwoody
05-04-06, 01:40 PM
this is going to sound weird, but i have this problem as well.

Unplug EVERYTHING. ALL of your monitor cables at BOTH ends and all of your PC cables at both ends. Walk away for about 5 minutes and plug everything up and plug up the monitor power cable last. Turn on the PC first, then the power cable.

I don't know what happens to fix this problem in all of that, but it apparently works. Give it a shot :thumbsup:

grey_1
05-04-06, 01:59 PM
Just pressing the power button after unplugging the psu will discharge your psu's caps for you. Last time I had this it was an optical drive. If the others advice doesn't work go to the basics. Strip it clean but for what u need to boot. If thats good then add a peice at a time til you find the offender. GL Slippe, that really sucks.

Q
05-04-06, 02:11 PM
I've had this happen before too. Follow the advice above and goodluck.

Edit: Do you ever have any GOOD luck with PCs? ;)

SLippe
05-04-06, 02:21 PM
I've had this happen before too. Follow the advice above and goodluck.

Edit: Do you ever have any GOOD luck with PCs? ;)
You know, I haven't since I've gone to SLI/eVGA. My first eVGA mobo only worked for one day. This is my second and I may be on my way to my 3rd, if I decide to go with them. I may not RMA it.

I'll try the disassemble/basics thing, but I doubt it will work.

*** Here is the weirdest thing; The RESET button on the front of my case AND the RESET button on my mobo do NOT work! ***

BTW, no luck with TigerWoody's solution, but I have done that in the past after power outages.

SLippe
05-04-06, 03:50 PM
Well, I give up. **** it. eVGA, you can have your piece o' **** motherboards! :fu: Stick with video cards. I mean, c'mon, you can't even come up with a BIOS that reads the temps on the cpu correctly. Sorry, I'm going elsewhere.

grey_1
05-04-06, 04:41 PM
Well, I give up. **** it. eVGA, you can have your piece o' **** motherboards! :fu: Stick with video cards. I mean, c'mon, you can't even come up with a BIOS that reads the temps on the cpu correctly. Sorry, I'm going elsewhere.

Sorry it didn't work for you. I'm considering myself damn lucky I haven't had any trouble since building mine. GL with the next one.

SLippe
05-04-06, 10:54 PM
Okay, tested all four memory chips individually on another computer, those are fine. Then I tested my awesome 7900 GT CO SC and it is fine...whew! Fiinal conclusion is the mobo is dead. The final thing that really set me to believe this is that there is no activity light where my LAN is plugged in from the Cable modem. That is even lit when the tower is powered off! Anyways, eVGA is to RMA it...again. :rolleyes2

Mr_LoL
05-04-06, 11:42 PM
Okay, tested all four memory chips individually on another computer, those are fine. Then I tested my awesome 7900 GT CO SC and it is fine...whew! Fiinal conclusion is the mobo is dead. The final thing that really set me to believe this is that there is no activity light where my LAN is plugged in from the Cable modem. That is even lit when the tower is powered off! Anyways, eVGA is to RMA it...again. :rolleyes2

All i can say is good luck and if you need a new mobo, look no futher than the Dfi lanparty series. Superb mobos.

SLippe
05-05-06, 12:35 AM
All i can say is good luck and if you need a new mobo, look no futher than the Dfi lanparty series. Superb mobos.
That's what I was going to get, but then eVGA offered the mobo/gpu combo and I couldn't pass that up. Trust me, if I do go with another mobo brand, it will be DFI, no doubt.

grey_1
05-05-06, 02:30 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've got 3 of em, not a bit of trouble with any of them.

SLippe
05-05-06, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I'm really considering selling the RMA board when I get it and using the funds to purchase a DFI. What's the best DFI model?

grey_1
05-05-06, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm really considering selling the RMA board when I get it and using the funds to purchase a DFI. What's the best DFI model?

I've gotta go with the expert.

been rock solid for me
jumperless sli config
plenty of room for cooling sli'd cards

I can't speak for anything but the expert and sli-D for 939 tho.

Tygerwoody
05-05-06, 01:13 PM
BTW, no luck with TigerWoody's solution, but I have done that in the past after power outages.
yea, thats when I do it too :p

SLippe
05-05-06, 01:32 PM
I've gotta go with the expert.

been rock solid for me
jumperless sli config
plenty of room for cooling sli'd cards

I can't speak for anything but the expert and sli-D for 939 tho.
Okay, cool, thanks. I'll check Newegg out over the next few days, especially on weekends when they seem to have the best sales.

Wow, one thing I noticed is that on eVGA's website, their MSRP for the board I have from them is $179.99 USD, but Newegg has it for $79.99. That's quite the difference. Anyways, off to Newegg to window-shop, for now.

Mr_LoL
05-05-06, 01:43 PM
Yep the expert is the best choice. If you dont ever plan on going sli get the lanparty ultra D.