PDA

View Full Version : UPS advice...

Pages : [1] 2

MrSavoy
05-05-06, 04:54 AM
Ok so over the years I have probably had every different piece of hardware. However, I know very little about UPS's. That said, summers coming and I really want to protect my hardware. I need some recomendations for a good reliable UPS. Bear in mind I don't need to run my whole rig if the power goes down for an hour or anything, Just say 10 minutes give or take. Enough time to shut down everything thats running and properly shut down the PC.

I guess I would need it to power my main rig and my LCD. The system in my sig is what I'm looking to protect. I coudl use some help guys. :)

retsam
05-05-06, 06:38 AM
upc. we use them at work and i have two at home. the reason i like them is because the batteries are very easy to find and replace. also you can get them cheap used on e-bay.

rudedog
05-05-06, 06:43 AM
I would recommend APC why because I work for them and we are the leader in the UPS business.

Some things to remember. Most if not all UPSs have built in surge protection. The battery backup part of the UPS will allow you to save what ever your working on and shut down the PC before you drain the battery.

Not only is the battery part useful in the situation mentioned above, it's also very important when you encounter a brown out. A brown out is a decrease in voltage over any time longer then a couple seconds. If you notice your lights flicker then this is a brownout.

Also most UPSs have auto sensing transformers to boost or trim this these brown outs without having to switch to their batteries.

FYI brownouts are the number one reason why electronic equipment is damaged, not surges and spikes. Your basic surge only protectors can not and will not protect you from these types of electrical issues.

You say you wish to only protect your PC and LCD and not your other peripherals. This is fine for the UPS side of things but leaves you unprotected from surges and spikes that can and will enter your home.

More important then any surge/UPS system is the electrical system it's plugged into. If it's not grounded and bounded correctly throw any surge protection from a UPS/Surge out the window.

UPS come in square wave output, better UPS come in sign wave output. Both are great for computer equipment or anything that uses a switched mode power supply. Sign wave UPSs usually have more features and can be used with non standard equipment (other then PC equipment)

As far as software that comes with any UPS, I don't use any of it and I have access to some really cool stuff. If you leave your PC on and it will be untended then yes, you may want to consider using the stuff built into windows itself to simply shut down the PC when the batteries in the UPS get to a certain level. If you never leave your PC untended, then don't waste your time with any UPS vendors software.

Again, a UPS will protect you from loss of power and brownouts. It can only protect you from surges when you completely cover everything that is connected to your PC including telephone and network lines.

Even svideo out to a separate TV will need surge protection on the other TV and it's cable line. But that is a whole other thread if anyone is interested in grounding and bonding of your electrical system including cable, antenna and telephone. Not to mention surges that can be induced onto data lines......

One last thing. NEVER PLUG A SURGE PROTECTOR INTO A UPS THAT PRODUCES A SQUAREWAVE OUTPUT VERY BAD FOR YOUR EQUIPMENT IF IT GOES TO BATTERY

ENU291
05-05-06, 06:45 AM
I personally use a Belkin 1500VA UPS to protect my babies at home. Check out the details HERE (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=77&pcount=&Product_Id=186894).

retsam
05-05-06, 06:50 AM
One last thing. NEVER PLUG A SURGE PROTECTOR INTO A UPS THAT PRODUCES A SQUAREWAVE OUTPUT VERY BAD FOR YOUR EQUIPMENT IF IT GOES TO BATTERYive always know there was a reason for not doing that but now i know why....

rudedog
05-05-06, 07:17 AM
ive always know there was a reason for not doing that but now i know why....

The filtering in the surge protector will drastically change the output clamp filter on the UPS, when connected to a square wave UPS system.

Instead of 120VAC RMS on Battery you get 190VAC RMS on Battery. It's one of those things that don't always happen but when they do, you get some really cool fireworks if the equipment connected is not yours:D

Also cheap multimedia speakers with those 3rd word transformer blocks can cause the same issues

Riptide
05-05-06, 08:03 AM
Another vote for APC here. Using a Smart UPS 1000 right now. :)

Sazar
05-05-06, 09:02 AM
Another APC vote, it's all we use here at work, them and some lower-end belkins for other stuff.

MrSavoy
05-05-06, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. Some really helpfull information here. I'll do a little more research and then make a decision.

MrSavoy
05-05-06, 10:46 AM
I have some BB cards that are burning a hole in my pocket, so I figured maybe I would buy one from them. Any ideas about this 1? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7383985&type=product&id=1122654249041

They also have another one thats a little more powerfull but I'm not sure if they extra power is necessary.

Also these are available.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384662246&type=product

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1122654248983&type=product

Riptide
05-05-06, 10:46 AM
Question for the APC guy.

My Smart UPS 1000 has a serial connection. Is there a converter I can use so that it can be monitored via USB on future PCs that won't have a serial connector on the board? Thanks

rudedog
05-05-06, 10:56 AM
I checked with the guys in tech sup. We offer nothing but you can use one of the usb to serial adapters then our cable.

Just remember our serial cable is proprietary to our products

rudedog
05-05-06, 11:02 AM
Go with the APC 1500 it has our EPP (equipment protection policy) that will cover your equipment like an insurance policy.

Just remember if your on the wrong end of a surge and the your PC is destroyed and the APC unit is working fine then it did not come down AC line or should I say HOT lead and your claim will be denied. (another topic all together)

I ran our EPP department for 3 years while I was in tech support.

MrSavoy
05-05-06, 11:06 AM
Rudedog I appreciate your advice and I believe you know what your talking about but, I was looking for a little more info as to why I should pick one over the other. To me looking at the specs they look pretty comparable. In fact the policy with the Geeksquad ones seem higher? Oh and the cool lcd isn't bad either :)

I know APC is a good brand and I have seen them around quite a bit but I'm willing to bet a major manufacturer makes the other two for bestbuy am I right?

Riptide
05-05-06, 11:19 AM
I checked with the guys in tech sup. We offer nothing but you can use one of the usb to serial adapters then our cable.
I just realized I still have a bit of a problem. XP's onboard UPS monitoring/support requires COM1/2. So unless I use powerchute the USB connection won't be an option. Was hoping to avoid having to load that. Oh well. I guess if I have to I can always install a PCI card w/serial ports on it and use that.

lightman
05-05-06, 11:59 AM
Definitely APC. I have some 20 of them at work, plus one here at home, and they're great. Never had any problem. And the software is really nice. Oh, and there is a nice driver for linux, too. :)

Head_slinger
05-05-06, 12:15 PM
I just realized I still have a bit of a problem. XP's onboard UPS monitoring/support requires COM1/2. So unless I use powerchute the USB connection won't be an option. Was hoping to avoid having to load that. Oh well. I guess if I have to I can always install a PCI card w/serial ports on it and use that.

When you get a USB to Serial converter it emulates a Serial Port. Which should be picked up by Windows and allow you to select. I use them all the time for configuring firewalls, routers and have noticed no difference to a normal serial port.

Sazar
05-05-06, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. Some really helpfull information here. I'll do a little more research and then make a decision.

Buy American, APC has it in it's name, doesn't get more american than that :angel:

Riptide
05-05-06, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Next time I replace my motherboard I will probably end up having to try and make this work. Good to know that it shouldn't in theory be a headache waiting to happen.

When you get a USB to Serial converter it emulates a Serial Port. Which should be picked up by Windows and allow you to select. I use them all the time for configuring firewalls, routers and have noticed no difference to a normal serial port.

MrSavoy
05-05-06, 02:08 PM
Buy American, APC has it in it's name, doesn't get more american than that :angel:

I'm with you on that bro.

:beer:

rudedog
05-05-06, 02:30 PM

Then don't ask me where we make them LOL. It's not america.... They're desinged here but unfortunatily not made here anymore.

MrSavoy
05-05-06, 02:32 PM
:thumbdwn:

ENU291
05-05-06, 05:04 PM
Funny thing happened to me when I reinstalled Windows XP while having my UPS connected via USB cable. After I finished installing XP it detected my PC as a laptop and applied all the laptop power saving options. No big deal but I thought it was kinda weird. I guess XP detected the battery and assumed that it was a laptop but we all know what happens when you assume!! ;)

Ancient
05-05-06, 05:30 PM
Go with the APC 1500 it has our EPP (equipment protection policy) that will cover your equipment like an insurance policy.
I have an APC 1500 for my system and one for the wife's too. Great little unit and it saves me from the frequent brown-outs from our mickey mouse power company on a regular basis. Plus it provides about 40 minutes of battery backup should the local power line breaker trips or the transformer blows, which also happens on occassion. (Though how much battery backup time you get is dependent upon each individual system.)

fasedww
06-01-06, 01:30 PM

Just remember if your on the wrong end of a surge and the your PC is destroyed and the APC unit is working fine then it did not come down AC line or should I say HOT lead and your claim will be denied. (another topic all together)

I ran our EPP department for 3 years while I was in tech support.
yep I just bought one at bestbuy today $30.00 bucks off of 199.00, Feel lots better now. I knew I should have one, I mean it makes alot of sense right?:D