PDA

View Full Version : fanless 7900GT?

kenyee
05-05-06, 09:20 AM
Is there such a creature?
I haven't had any luck looking for one...looking to keep my system quiet :-)

SLippe
05-05-06, 11:51 AM
Uh, no and you probably wouldn't want a fanless 7900 GT for heat reasons. If you want a quiet system, but still with the 7900 GT, then get an aftermarket HSF for it, like a Zalman VF900 or something.

nutball
05-05-06, 12:08 PM
I've put an Aerocool VM-101 passive heatsink on my 7900GT, it works just fine. It gets a little toasty under load but nothing to be worried about (90C or so IIRC). If you want to go passive you do have to ensure there's at least some airflow over the heatsink of course.

If you're in the US you'll struggle to find that h/s though, it's not marketed there for patent reasons by all accounts (and neither is its successor the VM-102 I believe).

Oh if you're wanting to know about quiet computing then pop over the www.silentpcreview.com, everything you need to know and more besides!

kenyee
05-05-06, 04:06 PM
Thanks, nutball. I think I found your photos on it via Google. Man, that thing is humungous...makes the card take up the size of 3 slots!

I found a bunch of other mentions that manufacturers (Aopen, Gigabyte) will be releasing passive-cooling versions of the 7900GT eventually because it's cooler than the 7800.

Here's an amusing passively cooled 7900GT image of another heatsink :-)
http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23742

SLippe
05-05-06, 04:46 PM
Thanks, nutball. I think I found your photos on it via Google. Man, that thing is humungous...makes the card take up the size of 3 slots!

I found a bunch of other mentions that manufacturers (Aopen, Gigabyte) will be releasing passive-cooling versions of the 7900GT eventually because it's cooler than the 7800.

Here's an amusing passively cooled 7900GT image of another heatsink :-)
http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23742
Wow, in that first pic with the big copper heatsink, that looks like the thermaltake hs I have on my cpu, only I have a 90mm fan on it of course. I'm surprised by the temps posted though. Hmmm. Good luck in your search.

nutball
05-06-06, 03:14 AM

It's big, but the radiator is actually on the top of the board so it shouldn't interfere with much of importance on a typical motherboard. On an SLI setup it's a different issue of course :)

Yeah I'm sure that stock passive 7900GTs will arrive -- the 7900GT doesn't use that much more power than a 7600GT AFAIK and there are already passive versions of that about I believe. The only question is price -- stock passive solutions seem to me to be rather expensive, much more than buying a bog-standard no-name OEM card, 20-30 for a passive HS and 10 minutes with a screwdriver.

Dazz
05-06-06, 05:44 AM
I think ASUS will be the first to give a passive 7900GT like their 7800GT which is also overclocked.

Webmonkey
07-18-06, 09:44 AM
I think ASUS will be the first to give a passive 7900GT like their 7800GT which is also overclocked.

THE MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256EZ passive cooled 7900GT just came into stock here in Denmark.

Price is about 20% more than the lowest prices 7900GT stock cooling boards...