PDA

View Full Version : Game issues - hardware problem? (7900GT)

Stevedroid
05-07-06, 08:17 PM
Since I got my 7900GT I've had a couple of game issues and I'm wondering if they're indicative of a hardware problem. I've got an XFX factory overlocked card and while the core doesn't seem to get too hot (about 46C is the highest I ever saw) I'm wondering if the memory is burning up.

So far I've only really played two games and I've had issues with both.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted randomly crashes to desktop. It's not a bad crash, system remains stable and the game cleans itself up well after the crash. It doesn't seem to happen after a certain period of time or anything like that. The only pattern I can detect is that it seems to occur when there's a lot going on, espescially during pursuits when there are a lot of police cars after me. I'd be more inclined to think was the game rather than the card but the other problem I'm having....

Fable:The Lost Chapters is giving me a lot of difficulty. I've had crashes up and down the board. Most often the game will just hard lock with a repeating sound or similar. I can't get out of the game and have to reset my system in that case. There are times when the game locks after definite graphics corruption. I'll be walking along and the whole screen will start flashing and polygons will distort widly and the game will eventually hard lock. A few times the system remained responsive, but after closing the game through task manager when I got back to the desktop all the colors were corrupted and the system would not shut down properly. The locking to occur totally randomly. It's locked up after as little as 5 minutes of play and as long as 4 hours of play and I don't see any game action in common with the crashes. What really scares me is this seems to be getting progressively worse. When I first started playing the game it happened very rarely, now it happens every other time I play.

I ran 3DMark05 and played Half-Life 2 a couple times since I got the card without any trouble, but I haven't played much else since starting Fable, so I don't know if there are problems with other games, but I haven't had a system in years that hard locks like this. I played Fable without any problems on my old system which was a via KT800Pro mobo and an AIW X800XT but all my other hardware was the same.

Do you think these issues point to a hardware problem, do you think the memory is overheating, do you think it's damaged?

SnilloC
05-07-06, 08:22 PM
Join the club bro!!! From what I understand you can't rely on what temps you see... I spoke with one of the techs from evga and they told me that the placement of the temp sensor on the board is after the memory. So it don't really give you a true temp of the memory... I have had my evga RMA'd and waiting on it! So send it back and hopefully you get a good one....

|MaguS|
05-07-06, 08:22 PM
Run MemTest to check your systems RAM out, Also try lowering the clocks of your card and test then. Try other drivers aswell...

Temps can only be detected with something monitoring them in the background, you cannot check them by closing or minimizing the application.

Stevedroid
05-07-06, 08:26 PM
I ran Memtest after setting up my system and it passed several times without problem. Even though my processor is overclocked, I have my divider set so the memory runs at standard 200MHz so everything should be ok there.

I have not tried any different drivers. Currently I'm using the standard 84.21, I'll try some of the newer beta drivers.

Can you point me to an app for temp monitoring?

|MaguS|
05-07-06, 08:28 PM
What are you CPU Temps for your OC? Could it be that your CPU is causing errors?

Stevedroid
05-07-06, 08:31 PM
I haven't had a chance to check it on my new mobo, but I was running the exact same overclock on the same processor, with the same cooler, on my old mobo and it barely broke 30C under load.

What I don't get is that Fable doesn't seem like a graphically punishing game. It think it's CPU limited. I get the exact same framerate at 1024x768 as I do at 1600x1200.

---edit---

After scanning the forum a bit I came across stuff saying ATI Tool Artifact Tester was good for this sort of thing. So far it's run 30 minutes with no errors. The reported temp shot up to 60C in the first 2 minutes and it has stayed there the whole time.

First I'm going to try the beta drivers off nVidia's site (84.43) if that doesn't work I'll set my CPU to standard speed. If Fable still locks I guess I'll try playing FEAR for a while and see how stable that is. I'll have to report back on all that tomorrow.

KickAssCop
05-07-06, 10:42 PM
NFSMW crashes to desktop if your processor can't handle it. I had my FSB set to 237 and everything was running fine except NFSMW crashed to desktop w/o any error. I set it to 236 and it has been stable like that for over 4 months.

NFSMW is a good test of stability because it should never crash to desktop.

Stevedroid
05-08-06, 12:13 PM
Hmm, maybe I will scale back my processor. Still, 2.4GHz is not that big an overclocked for a 3500+ and mine has been running very cool. I regularly see reports of them hitting 2.6GHz on stock cooling with just a bit of voltage increase.

The thing that scares me though is the graphics corruption in Fable. More often than not it just hard locks, the few times it doesn't though there's definite graphics corruption followed by a lock, and the few times I get back to the desktop all the colors are screwed up and the system is generally unstable. Don't those things point to a display problem? Is there anything else that can cause that? Fable was rock solid stable on my old system, which shared everything but the mobo and video card with my new system so it's tough for me to think the game is at fault.

AdmiralHalsey..
05-08-06, 01:05 PM
Like someone else said, join the club. Oh yeah, and welcome to the club:thumbdwn:

SnilloC
05-08-06, 02:44 PM
Well I'm still leaning toward it being the card seeing the threads on lock ups with the 7900.....

Stevedroid
05-08-06, 05:46 PM
Ugh you guys are scaring me. I started looking around and saw plenty of people having issues with the 7900 cards too, I really do not want to go through the trouble of sending my card in. Worse I was just about to purchase an XFX 7900 GT VIVO for SLi and now I'm having doubts. Are these cards really that troublesome? If they were overheating don't you think you have a more gradual onset of artifacts rather than these abrupt locks or extreme artifacts?

Man, I hate this crap. I switched from an ATI card because I hated the bloated drivers and I hated missing on better shadows and stuff like that, but then again I never really had any stability problems like this with an ATI card. Is there no perfect solution?

SnilloC
05-08-06, 07:29 PM
I'm really not sure...... But after speaking to the head tech at evga he pretty much said it was an issue with the cards! So I said send me a new one....lol I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Sad thing is you shouldn't have to go through this after dumping that kinda cash..... :thumbdwn:

Stevedroid
05-08-06, 10:07 PM
Well I set my processor to default speed...and played Fable for a good 3 hours with nary a lockup. It's a bit too soon to be sure that was the cause (I could have just been lucky, I have played it that long without a crash before), but the preliminary evidence is promising.

If the processor is the cause it's a shame I have to give up the overclock, but it was only 2-5 frames difference and I'll gladly take stability over a couple frames any day. Still a bit perplexing if that is the cause. I know my CPU runs quite cool, and I've seen plenty of people hitting 2.4GHz on stock voltages. Because my mobo doesn't have many memory divders I did have to boost my FSB up to 240 MHz, lower the CPU multiplier to 10x, and set the memor divider to 5/6 (DDR333) to get the memory to run at 200MHz. I wonder if the high FSB is the problem, but reviews have had the FSB well over 300MHz without incident.

Hmm...better not invest in the theory that it's my processor too much before I jinx myself. I just really hope it's not the video card.

---Added 5/9/06
Yet another night for a couple hours without a lock up. I think that's the first time I've gone two nights without the game locking. Maybe it really was my CPU overclock.

Stevedroid
05-11-06, 08:03 PM
I played Fable again last night and yet again it ran fine.

Also tonight I started Oblivion tonight and played for about 3 hours (which just flew by :D ) and had zero problems.

So it looks like it was indeed my CPU overclock. Too bad I have to give that up, but I'll definitely take stability.

Just wanted to bump this up to demonstrate to people that with so many variables in a computer it's not always the video card's fault even when there's visual corruption. I wonder how many people are RMAing their 7900s when they're absolutely fine because they just jumped to conclusions (like I did) and never tried to see if it was anything else.

K-1
05-11-06, 10:50 PM
I played Fable again last night and yet again it ran fine.

Also tonight I started Oblivion tonight and played for about 3 hours (which just flew by :D ) and had zero problems.

So it looks like it was indeed my CPU overclock. Too bad I have to give that up, but I'll definitely take stability.

Just wanted to bump this up to demonstrate to people that with so many variables in a computer it's not always the video card's fault even when there's visual corruption. I wonder how many people are RMAing their 7900s when they're absolutely fine because they just jumped to conclusions (like I did) and never tried to see if it was anything else.

glad to hear it man, always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when people resolve tech issues :D.

KickAssCop
05-12-06, 01:57 PM
Nice to know. Processor overclocks can cause strange things. I have my 3500+ at 2.6 Ghz since forever and when I up it to 237 FSB I get lockups and crashes and what not.

Also most 7900GTs are fine, it is only overclocked ones from eVGA and XFX XXX edition that had issues. My MSI has been running flawlessly @ 555/800 since day 1 (day 22 now), I am still keeping my fingers crossed. If it passes the 30 day stability test, I may vmod it :D.

hordaktheman
05-15-06, 04:38 PM
Because my mobo doesn't have many memory divders I did have to boost my FSB up to 240 MHz, lower the CPU multiplier to 10x, and set the memor divider to 5/6 (DDR333) to get the memory to run at 200MHz. I wonder if the high FSB is the problem, but reviews have had the FSB well over 300MHz without incident.Have you checked whether the PCI and PCI-e busses are running at their rated speeds when you overclock the FSB? I don't know about your board, but my Abit AX8 has specific settings for both PCI and PCI-e frequencies, and it could be that they aren't locked. The documentation on my board was also very vague on it, so make sure they're within spec and that you aren't reading it wrong. You can use OC Guru (which should have come with your board) to get a reading on them. Same goes for HyperTransport, did you lower the divider? Maybe your motherboard doesn't like running it at 1200mhz, and you need to lower it to 4/5.