PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on installing a Widescreen LCD

foodude2
05-08-06, 12:22 AM
I'm getting a DEll 2405 24" LCD monitor.

Is there something special I have to do to prepare the card for the install, or can it just replace the CRT thats there, with appropriate rez adjustments after I reboot?

The Bigman
05-08-06, 12:32 AM
Inst6all the latest drivers autoupdate the plug and play monitor driver over windows update to the dell driver. use a custom res of like 1440 900 or whatever you like or even use 1680 1050, thats a sweet spot for this baby.

You have lots of widescreen fun with this one. I do and i use the 1680 res and works good with fonts not to big or small and games are good too.

have fun

HOT1
05-08-06, 01:17 AM
For more help setting up games for Widescreen :
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

WimpMiester
05-08-06, 01:31 AM
Make sure your refresh rate is set to 60Hz before you connect it.

OxfordDon
05-08-06, 02:20 AM
Inst6all the latest drivers autoupdate the plug and play monitor driver over windows update to the dell driver. use a custom res of like 1440 900 or whatever you like or even use 1680 1050, thats a sweet spot for this baby.

You have lots of widescreen fun with this one. I do and i use the 1680 res and works good with fonts not to big or small and games are good too.

have fun

The native res for this monitor is 1920x1200, so shouldn't the advice be to run it at it's native resolution, surely the best picture you can get will be at that resolution? That's what I do with mine anyway :D

JaxMacFL
05-08-06, 07:52 AM
The native res for this monitor is 1920x1200, so shouldn't the advice be to run it at it's native resolution, surely the best picture you can get will be at that resolution? That's what I do with mine anyway :D

You're right, 1920x1200 is the resolution that the monitor was built to run at it's most optimal.

Oh, just hook-up your dvi cable and your usb connector cable to your pc. After boot-up let windows find the new monitor and all usb drives. Now manually update monitor drivers to the ones that came on the cd or go to dell support and search for the latest driver.

The Bigman
05-08-06, 10:52 AM
THe native res is always the best but the fonts are small and someone like me needs that large font size and i found that 1680 1050 is sweet for me. I play games at 1900 1200 and they look damn good.

Its all personal preference here.

Good Luck

LBJM
05-08-06, 06:27 PM
the driver on the cd worked fine for me. just remember to switch out the monitors before you turn on the computer. xp will work fine with it even if you don't install the driver.

foodude2
05-10-06, 12:07 AM
Working out pretty well so far.

Still fooling with the color settings to get it right,

Has anyone switched from the PC Standard preset color temp to one of the others?

User preset with all settings at 50% looks a bit better to my eye, better whites.

OxfordDon
05-10-06, 01:12 AM
Setting up the 2405 can be very tricky and time consuming, since it is way too bright out of the box. Just for comparison purposes, this is what I settled on with mine:

Brightness 24 on the OSD
98% in nvidia control panel

Gamma 0.63 in nvidia control panel
THEN select red only and set it to 0.52

This sets it up the best I can do for my eyes anyway :D

grey_1
05-10-06, 02:24 PM
Setting up the 2405 can be very tricky and time consuming, since it is way too bright out of the box. Just for comparison purposes, this is what I settled on with mine:

Brightness 24 on the OSD
98% in nvidia control panel

Gamma 0.63 in nvidia control panel
THEN select red only and set it to 0.52

This sets it up the best I can do for my eyes anyway :D

Yeah, it's a toughy, I'm also finding the vga to be much higher quality wise than the dvi, I thought it would be the other way around. My color settings are close to yours, got gamma (nvcp) @ 0.75

sharangad
05-10-06, 02:45 PM
THe native res is always the best but the fonts are small and someone like me needs that large font size and i found that 1680 1050 is sweet for me. I play games at 1900 1200 and they look damn good.

You could switch to large fonts?

foodude2
05-10-06, 03:42 PM
Yeah, don't know why they made these so bright. Many folks have complained about it.

Meanwhile, using DVI, there's no brightness control . so you have to do everything via the card.

I can bring the brightness down , but you lose so much contrast its not usable that way.

Would it pay to fool with the color settings, to try and rectify that?

Another thing, using Clear Type, and I've used the setup tool, theres green artifacting on very small fonts. Anyone else getting this. Without clear type theres no problem.

jeffmd
05-10-06, 05:25 PM
people said the 2005 was bright...i dont think so. Maybe you guys need to get out of the house more.. and stop living in those dark dungions. ;)

The Bigman
05-10-06, 06:33 PM
LOL i like that one. I think this LCD kicks arse bigtime. Vim. I don'et play with much of the settings just do some brightness adjusts.

Eliminator
05-10-06, 06:38 PM
Yeah, don't know why they made these so bright. Many folks have complained about it.

Meanwhile, using DVI, there's no brightness control . so you have to do everything via the card.

I can bring the brightness down , but you lose so much contrast its not usable that way.

Would it pay to fool with the color settings, to try and rectify that?

Another thing, using Clear Type, and I've used the setup tool, theres green artifacting on very small fonts. Anyone else getting this. Without clear type theres no problem.
no its the contrast that you cant control.... personally i use DVI and brightness at 30% and im ok.... color seems ok.... if anyone has a full set of proper settings please post them

grey_1
05-10-06, 06:54 PM
no its the contrast that you cant control.... personally i use DVI and brightness at 30% and im ok.... color seems ok.... if anyone has a full set of proper settings please post them

I can't guarantee these for you, I'm still working on them.

nvcp; Digital Vibrance-medium (not really much change tho)
brightness - 92%
contrast - 69%
gamma - 0.69%

osd; brightness - 0
contrast - 99

colors r/31 g/32 b/34 in user presets

So far these settings have given me a very crisp desktop, colors are vivid without blinding me lol, and text is very easy to read.

Farcry - lacking a bit of detail but looks good overall
FEAR - All detail is visible but a darks are still washed out
Doom3 - same as FEAR
Serious Sam se - Kickin ass as always! good color, detail etc.

one thing I forgot to mention is using the vga instead of the dvi proved night and day for me, vga is much richer and easier on the eyes. Hope this helps someone, please provide feedback as I'm still not totally happy with my selections yet. Thanks

The Bigman
05-10-06, 07:23 PM
Why would vga be better on the eye and better? I thought dvi is better because of its being more descrete on colors.

Anyway how did you modigy the contrast setting? i can't its blanked out..

grey_1
05-10-06, 08:21 PM
Why would vga be better on the eye and better? I thought dvi is better because of its being more descrete on colors.

Anyway how did you modigy the contrast setting? i can't its blanked out..

contrast is enabled when using vga. As far as the dvi, I don't know why mine looks so rotten, I need to get another cable from work tomorrow, mine may be defective.

The Bigman
05-10-06, 08:32 PM
I use the gold series dvi cable from bestbuy

foodude2
05-10-06, 08:43 PM
Very funny. You know what they say, rtfm. I was looking for the bightness control on the OSD, not the +/- button by itself.

I set it to ZERO, hopefully this will make setting the comfort level easier.

PS With the Nvidia control panel, you can set brightness and contrast to hotkeys, so on the fly adjustments are quite easy.

Slammin
05-10-06, 08:54 PM
Wow, you guys don't use Color Profiles?

I think, and also LOVE Nvidia for giving us this option, as well as Digital Vibrance.

Really, between Color/Game Profiles and Digital Vibrance, you can seriously tailor your viewing, and especially with this monitor, to an excellent experience.

Man, sounds almost like an advertisement, but really, I love this display.

grey_1
05-11-06, 03:51 AM
Wow, you guys don't use Color Profiles?

I think, and also LOVE Nvidia for giving us this option, as well as Digital Vibrance.

Really, between Color/Game Profiles and Digital Vibrance, you can seriously tailor your viewing, and especially with this monitor, to an excellent experience.

Man, sounds almost like an advertisement, but really, I love this display.

They should pay you :D , I can't get my color profiles to play nice, been trying to use them. Whenever I choose any profile I've created and saved, as soon as I hit apply it reverts to the standard profile. I may try other drivers later, don't have time atm.