PDA

View Full Version : How to properly connect power cable to 7900 GT???

Superhuman
05-08-06, 04:07 PM
I just got my 7900 GT KO today and it came with a 6-pin PCI-E power connector. I know I connect that end into the card, but it splits into a 'Y' with 2 molex connectors............do I connect a molex to each one, or only one of them?

Thanks.

Lfctony
05-08-06, 04:20 PM
Both...

Tony.

jAkUp
05-08-06, 04:21 PM
Make sure to connect both the power connectors.

Superhuman
05-08-06, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.

tranle
05-08-06, 06:24 PM
Make sure to connect both the power connectors.

Are you really sure about that ? I thought that the Y connetor was for power supply that did not have a PCI-E power connector, and that you need to need to plug the black (6 pin) on the graphic card and 1 of the white connector to one of you free disk drive power connector.

And the other white connector was there in case you need to daisy chain it to a 2nd graphic card power or another disk drive.

(This is just speculation on my part looking at the pictures on newegg.com)

sirplayalot
05-08-06, 06:28 PM
Wow! Really? I always thought you only had to connect 1 of them...Can not having both of them connected at the same time do any damage to the video card?

SLippe
05-08-06, 07:10 PM
I've wondered this myself. Good question. However, my psu came with two direct lines for pci-e cards, so I don't use the y adapter, but still good to know, just in case.

Anyone confirm this?

grey_1
05-08-06, 07:14 PM
I've wondered this myself. Good question. However, my psu came with two direct lines for pci-e cards, so I don't use the y adapter, but still good to know, just in case.

Anyone confirm this?

Yup, use both. They may work with the y adapter, but your rig will be much more stable if each card has its own feed, especially if you plan to overclock.

snowmanwithahat
05-08-06, 07:23 PM
Are you really sure about that ? I thought that the Y connetor was for power supply that did not have a PCI-E power connector, and that you need to need to plug the black (6 pin) on the graphic card and 1 of the white connector to one of you free disk drive power connector.

And the other white connector was there in case you need to daisy chain it to a 2nd graphic card power or another disk drive.

(This is just speculation on my part looking at the pictures on newegg.com)

yeh.... ummm i have to agree, i don't know for sure, i've never had this issue, but i thought i knew it....

anyway simple way to tell, if there's two female ends, connect both, if it's only one, connect one

tranle
05-08-06, 10:27 PM
anyway simple way to tell, if there's two female ends, connect both, if it's only one, connect one

Yeah, you are right. I just pulled mine out of the box. And it really has 2 males (same as a disk drive side). And the cables are not connected at the black PCI-E connector so it is really not a Y connector and you are expected to connect both of the molex (white) connectors to your power supply.

sirplayalot
05-09-06, 12:20 AM
Wow...all this time...So looks like I need to free up another power cord! Which will be easy :)