PDA

View Full Version : Can't fit my 4-pin S-video cable into my brand new BFG 7900GT card - Help!

Xophile
05-10-06, 02:36 AM
Hi!

I got my new 7900GT card the other day and since I use the TV-output very often I tried to plug it in directly. The problem is that my old S-video cable (which Ive been using for over 4 years) does only have 4-pins and the S-video connector on my BFG 7900GT has 7-pins.
I e-mailed BFG's support and they told me it would fit but I just can't get it to work and I don't like to "force" it and take the risk of destroying my brand new card.

Any tips?

glObalist
05-10-06, 08:49 AM
Any pics?

Dr@Home
05-10-06, 09:20 AM
Hi!

I got my new 7900GT card the other day and since I use the TV-output very often I tried to plug it in directly. The problem is that my old S-video cable (which Ive been using for over 4 years) does only have 4-pins and the S-video connector on my BFG 7900GT has 7-pins.
I e-mailed BFG's support and they told me it would fit but I just can't get it to work and I don't like to "force" it and take the risk of destroying my brand new card.

Any tips?I think there should be some dongle that plugs into the card that would have s-video and component out...

edit- yep
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=14-143-048-08.jpg%2C14-143-048-09.jpg%2C14-143-048-10.jpg%2C14-143-048-11.jpg%2C14-143-048-13.jpg%2C14-143-048-12.jpg&CurImage=14-143-048-13.jpg&Description=BFG+Tech+BFGR79256GTOCE+Geforce+7900GT +256MB+GDDR3+PCI+Express+x16+Video+Card+-+Retail

Xophile
05-10-06, 10:21 AM
Thank you kindly for your replies!

I contacted BFG's support and he told me that the dongle included in the box only is for HDTV-output and does not have the extra two ports as in your link. They also told me that the extra pins are not used for s-video and that my 4-pin cable is 100% ok to use. I did fit the cable now after a bit of struggle and will try later on.

I do find it strange that the manual shows the very same dongle as your pic but inside the box there is none.

Really bad!

Regards

Matt

sharangad
05-10-06, 02:23 PM

I contacted BFG's support and he told me that the dongle included in the box only is for HDTV-output and does not have the extra two ports as in your link. They also told me that the extra pins are not used for s-video and that my 4-pin cable is 100% ok to use. I did fit the cable now after a bit of struggle and will try later on.

I do find it strange that the manual shows the very same dongle as your pic but inside the box there is none.

Really bad!

Regards

Matt

The 7 pin HDTV out on Geforce 7900/7600 series cards are two way. They can accomodate a normal 4 pin S-Video cable using just four of the plugs on the socket. They can also use all 7 plugs to accomodate a component/composite video out. You don't need a special dongle to connect s-video. 'tis directly compatible with 4 pin S-Video or the 7 pin component/composite output dongle.

If you look closely you'll see that the plugs where S-Video expects them are there, so a normal S-Video cable should fit in.

ATi's Radeon X1k series also has this dual purpose 7 pin mini-DIN, though for Component output the pin outs may be different.

Xophile
05-11-06, 03:16 AM
I finally got everything working now!

Must have been a very tight connection because I really had to push hard to make it fit.

I also had to go back from the latest betas to the last "official" forceware in order to get my TV-output working.

rflair
05-11-06, 03:42 AM

Really bad!

Regards

Matt

My BFG7900GT came with the dongle in the pic from newegg, yours should have also.

Xophile
05-11-06, 04:25 AM
Really?

Was is the OC edition?