PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard coming to PS3?!?!

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 03:24 AM
Just a rumor but the Vanguard forums are exploding with speculation, especially after a recent listing on Sigil's Career page...

Console Programmer

We have immediate need for someone to investigate Sigil products on console systems. Qualified candidates will be faced with a bleeding edge platform with which to stretch the boundaries of console gaming. Applicants with the following properties should feel welcome to apply:

* 5 years programming experience
* 4 years C++ experience
* 4 years professional, team-oriented game programming experience
* At least one shipped title using the Xbox platform with significant contribution to success
* Experience with common console concerns such as memory management, disc access, streaming, gamma, etc.
* 2 years graphics experience with D3D required
* Experience with shaders preferred
* Experience with MMOGs preferred
* Familiar with latest modeling tools; specifically maya
* Mature, team-focused software development methodology
* Comfortable working with and re-working an existing code base
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Online game design experience and/or know-how
* Experience maintaining large code bases
* Hardcore, avid gamer

So unless they are making a new MMORPG for consoles, It looks like Vanguards might find its way to PS3. I say PS3 insted of X360 because recently Sigil purchased all publishing rights from Microsoft and signed a contract to allow SOE to publish their title (though mantaining all rights to the product).

Very interesting...

Tygerwoody
05-11-06, 07:52 AM
Sigil made it quite clear they would not be putting Vanguard on a Console. Unless they had a change of heart, I cannot see this happening

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 07:59 AM
Sigil made it quite clear they would not be putting Vanguard on a Console. Unless they had a change of heart, I cannot see this happening

Actually from what I read on the forums, they said they would not bring it to a console if it ment they had to change the game... If its the PS3 theres no reason the game wouldn't run on it considering its using only the Unreal Engine 2...

Why else would they be looking for a Console Programmer for a MMORPG title? I dout they have the team size to work on two different titles at once...

Tygerwoody
05-11-06, 08:06 AM
Actually from what I read on the forums, they said they would not bring it to a console if it ment they had to change the game... If its the PS3 theres no reason the game wouldn't run on it considering its using only the Unreal Engine 2...

Why else would they be looking for a Console Programmer for a MMORPG title? I dout they have the team size to work on two different titles at once...
"only the Unreal Engine 2" :rofl

Come on now Magus. You and I know there is nothing "only" about that EXTREMELY MODIFIED engine. I'll just leave my comment at that before I get myself in trouble. :lol:

edit: Back on topic. Did you ever stop to think that maybe they wanted a console developer because he might have experience APPEALING to console gamers? Console gamers and PC gamers usually like different things. Maybe the console developer can help bring some console gamers to the PC world.

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 08:23 AM
He's not looking for a Console Games Designer but rather a PROGRAMMER.

Yes, I know heavily modified engines can be differnet but honestly, If the PS3 can easily run UE3, don't you think it wont have any issue with UE2?

Tygerwoody
05-11-06, 08:40 AM
He's not looking for a Console Games Designer but rather a PROGRAMMER.

Yes, I know heavily modified engines can be differnet but honestly, If the PS3 can easily run UE3, don't you think it wont have any issue with UE2?
I think the PS3 can run Vanguard, but I just thought it was funny you said "only UE2 engine". :D

Anyway, i still doubt Vanguard will be on PS3.

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 08:43 AM
Anyway, i still doubt Vanguard will be on PS3.

Wana make a bet on this?! :D

Tygerwoody
05-11-06, 08:59 AM
Wana make a bet on this?! :D
Yea. Lets bet 100sp on Vanguard when its released :D

I want to buy a nice horse early on :)

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 09:18 AM
Deal!

Tygerwoody
05-11-06, 10:42 AM
*shakes hand to seal deal*

I'm holding you to your word. On release date of Vanguard(or PS3, whichever comes last), if there isn't even talk of putting Vanguard on PS3 then I better get my 100sp :D

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 10:44 AM
*shakes hand to seal deal*

I'm holding you to your word. On release date of Vanguard(or PS3, whichever comes last), if there isn't even talk of putting Vanguard on PS3 then I better get my 100sp :D

Theres no deadline... We just have to wait and see the reason for hiring a console programmer. ;)

Tygerwoody
05-11-06, 11:48 AM
Theres no deadline... We just have to wait and see the reason for hiring a console programmer. ;)
BTW, I want you to give me the 100sp all in copper. :D

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 11:59 AM
BTW, I want you to give me the 100sp all in copper. :D

I'll give you 1cp everyday for 100 days IF you win.... which I don't think you will. Sony needs a MMORPG on the PS3 and with FFXI not heading its way it will be awhile till Square-Enix's next one...

spirited1
05-11-06, 12:08 PM
On the subject of Vanguard's engine, they will be switching over to the Unreal 3.0 engine on the first or second expansion.

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 12:10 PM
On the subject of Vanguard's engine, they will be switching over to the Unreal 3.0 engine on the first or second expansion.

I dout that considering the game doesn't have zones so it would require them to redo all the art for the main game.

spirited1
05-11-06, 01:25 PM
Yeah, it's true.

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showpost.php?p=501412&postcount=121

They've coded Vanguard from the ground up to be flexible and incorporate new tech.

EDIT
Something interesting to note. In that post, Brad talks about a "sekret project" they've been working on. There's been a rumor on the VG boards for a long time about a Sigil superhero console mmo. If Sigil hire a programmer for console work, it's likely it will be for that project, and not for Vanguard. That would be my bet...but you never know. Sigil have a few irons in the fires.

slick
05-11-06, 02:01 PM
And maybe it isn't the PS3...

Developer said in his second point, UE3 works nicely on PC and 360, and that their next project is definately on the 360...

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 08:12 PM

Developer said in his second point, UE3 works nicely on PC and 360, and that their next project is definately on the 360...

Thats also a post from last year when they still had ties with MS for publishing...

slick
05-11-06, 08:55 PM
Thats also a post from last year when they still had ties with MS for publishing...

I'm sure there are no hard feelings there, and if they were developing for the 360 it is unlikely they just tossed all that eperimentation out the window. All SOE is doing is providing servers for the game right? I didn't think they had any creative rights.

On a lighter note... :D
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060510.jpg

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 08:58 PM
SOE doesn't hold any rights but they are aiding with Servers, Technical Support, Billing, Marketing and Publishing. Im sure they made a deal with Sigil to have either Vangaurds of another title make its way to the PS3 considering that Sigil was displeased with how Microsoft was trying to control their project (reason for the split).

Yeah I read that comic, just great!

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/2978/gu200605081mz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

nrdstrm
05-11-06, 09:46 PM
I asked about the PS3 thing, and no one would comment. I asked Brad also (off camera) about the switch from MS to SOE...He basically backed up everything you guys have said (retaining full controle). I also asked him and some of his employees about station exchange. They all said they are adamantly against it and there is no way it would work with Vanguard as it wasn't built with "exchange" type gameplay in mind. When pushed about going back to Sony, Brad said something like "I will do WHATEVER it takes to make this game the best that it can be, because I promised that to the players. It just so happens that going back to SOE was better for Vanguard". (I am paraphrasing, but it was very close to that.) Also, check out the E3 Forums later tonight or tomarrow morning for some Vanguard video. There is some in game footage, a "character creation walkthough" with a dev narrating, and a nice little intro by the man Brad himself :) I'm not posative at this point if I will be able to go back tomarrow, but if I do, I will be happy to ask any questions you guys might want answered...

|MaguS|
05-11-06, 09:50 PM
I asked about the PS3 thing, and no one would comment.

Mwahahaha point one for |MaguS|!

No comments lead to truth!

nrdstrm
05-12-06, 01:13 AM
Hey guys...Really sorry, but my DV Cam messed up the entire Vanguard part of my tape (unlistenable, let alone unwatchable..dropped frames everywhere, skipping sound). I am going back tomarrow and will try to do it all again...Sorry bout that...

Tygerwoody
05-12-06, 10:41 AM

This is wrong.

Brad McQuaid HIMSELF has told the Vanguard boards TONS of times that Vanguard will NEVER be on the Xbox360. In his words "I don't know why people keep making this up that Vanguard will be on Xbox360. This will NEVER happen. I don't know how much more clear I can say that."

BTW, this was even before Microsoft and Sigil split up when he stated this.

spirited1
05-12-06, 11:34 AM
They've confirmed that flying mounts are to be in at launch.

Of course...you'll probably need to be near max lvl before you can get one and they'll likely be very very expensive...but oh my god. Flying mounts. And they won't be on rails, ala EQ2 and WoW griff's. You'll have total control. Imagine you and your whole guild on flying mounts. That is some serious mobilisation right there. I haven't even begun to think of the pvp opportunities.

EDIT
More thoughts...Brad has talked before about mounted combat (mounted as in horses). He said they are planning it but it won't make release because he wanted it done properly. I wonder if this would extend to arial combat. Whole guilds clashing in the air. Dog fights. That's mind blowing.

nrdstrm, thanks for the info. Hope you get that vid sorted, if not, any more info is welcomed!