PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7900 GTX Bios version update if any concern?

Digital_Trans
05-11-06, 08:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

What is the most up to date official BIOS for the BFG 7900 GTX OC 512?
I'm still using video bios version is 5.71.22.12.10

Digital_Trans
05-12-06, 12:52 AM
Where can I find a collection of Bios files?

Superfly
05-12-06, 03:59 AM
www.mvktech.net

saturnotaku
05-12-06, 04:01 AM
If you're not having any issues with your card, don't flash the BIOS.

Digital_Trans
05-14-06, 10:28 AM
I've never had a problem with updating my bios. That would account for
My Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard and video card bios.

jAkUp
05-14-06, 10:38 AM
Yea, you really don't need to do it unless you have any problems... with that being said, I usually do it anyways because I'm picky like that :D

Digital_Trans
05-14-06, 02:13 PM
Yea, you really don't need to do it unless you have any problems... with that being said, I usually do it anyways because I'm picky like that :D

Right, jAkUp I'm the same way bro! I like to have the most recent bios version for everything including Motherboard, Video Cards, Firmware etc.
It seems to me that eVGA has more bios updates available to it's customers then BFG does. Meaning their the first to have a bios reversion compared to BFG which hasn'r released a bios reversion on the 7900 GTX 512

MarkUCLA
05-17-06, 11:08 AM
Its ashame BFG doesnt have a Forum board to discuss video card and other issues like eVGA does.
I was wondering if any of you guys with these BFG 7900 GTX OC are having freezing issues like I am. It freezes for approx 30-40 seconds and is completely random. Can happen any time, any where, any game.
I called BFG and of course he disavowed all knowledge of freezing issues.
Any suggestions on what to do? I really want to avoid the RMA issue if possible.

Man, these cards get hot. 65C or 150F when running games.

saturnotaku
05-17-06, 11:17 AM
There's a very long thread stickied at the top of this forum addressing those issues. Take some time to read through it.

Regarding these problems, I'm convinced the motherboard is a contributing factor. The vast majority of people I've seen who post about freezing issues have nForce4 chipsets. I use an ATI Xpress 200 and have not experienced any freezing whatsoever.

MarkUCLA
05-17-06, 01:00 PM
Thanks Saturn,

I saw that thread earlier but was looking for you BFG experts for more info. Those guys on that thread are mostly eVGA, but it's probably still pertinent anyway, so I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info that it's potentially my mobo, I'll look for info on that.

weevil
05-18-06, 03:41 AM
I was wondering if any of you guys with these BFG 7900 GTX OC are having freezing issues like I am.

Hi Mark yes I am mate.

BFG have answered my email report of freezing and raised a ticket very speedily so of course they have heard about freezing issues :)

I've found that I am not on the latest (DFL Lanparty SLI-DR mobo) April 6th BIOS, updating it tonight I'll let you know if something wonderful happens :)

JaxMacFL
05-18-06, 11:02 AM
Its ashame BFG doesnt have a Forum board to discuss video card and other issues like eVGA does.
I was wondering if any of you guys with these BFG 7900 GTX OC are having freezing issues like I am. It freezes for approx 30-40 seconds and is completely random. Can happen any time, any where, any game.
I called BFG and of course he disavowed all knowledge of freezing issues.
Any suggestions on what to do? I really want to avoid the RMA issue if possible.

Man, these cards get hot. 65C or 150F when running games.

The only freezing issues I have had are with the 87xx series drivers. I suspect (and I could easily be wrong about this) it lies with selecting or creating a nvidia profile. When it first occurred, I had just created a profile for NFSHP2. After applying it, I closed the nvidia control panel, started the game and was hosting a race. After about 15 minutes of racing is when it froze. Finally had to reboot. I went back into the nvidia control panel and was surprised to see the profile was set back to the default global settings and not the NFSHP2 profile I had set. I re-selected the NFSHP2 profile and applied it again, closed the control panel, reopened it and saw again that it had reset itself back to the global settings. Once more I selected and applied the NFSHP2 profile, but this time I didn't close the control panel; I left it open. I started the game and hosted another race for a good 1 1/2 hours without a problem. I'm thinking about rolling back to a 84xx series but I really like the 'Threaded optimization' option in the advanced settings.

Oh, on my two BFG's, the top card idles about 48-50c, the bottom 42-44c. Under load top = 74-75c, bottom = 55-56c. Weird huh? I swapped cards on the mb and still get the same readings. Must be the nature of the beast.

Greeno
05-18-06, 12:32 PM
There's a very long thread stickied at the top of this forum addressing those issues. Take some time to read through it.

Regarding these problems, I'm convinced the motherboard is a contributing factor. The vast majority of people I've seen who post about freezing issues have nForce4 chipsets. I use an ATI Xpress 200 and have not experienced any freezing whatsoever.

Not entirely true mate.

I've got an Intel D975XBX board (i975X chipset) and I have that problem, though JaxMacFL mentions the profiles... he may be on to something there.

saturnotaku
05-19-06, 06:09 AM
Not entirely true mate.

I've got an Intel D975XBX board (i975X chipset) and I have that problem, though JaxMacFL mentions the profiles... he may be on to something there.

Hence why I said it was a contributing factor. Though JaxMacFL's post talks about issues with profiles and the 87.xx drivers.

Jax, do you have the same issues with the 84.xx and earlier sets?

JaxMacFL
05-19-06, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=Jax, do you have the same issues with the 84.xx and earlier sets?[/QUOTE]

The 87.08 and the 87.25 are the only two driver sets that I have had the profile problem with, which may or may not have had anything to do with the freeze I experienced with nfshp2. That game has always been rock stable for me.

The 84XX series drivers have all been good performing drivers for me. Great image quality, smooth action performance, with no noticeable glitches or hiccups.

I never had experienced any freezes with other games I play (i.e. FarCry, Quake 4, TW PGA tour 2006) except GTA:SA. But between the game coding and the sound audio conflicts it experienced early on, I think everyone had game lockups. Even now, every once in awhile I get a game freeze when playing.

All the latest drivers seem to perform about the same for me, which I think is pretty darn good.

Here are a few 3dmark06 scores. All within 100 points of each other:

84.43 = 9572

84.56 = 9593

84.66 = 9570

87.08 = 9496