PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Interface

LiquidX
05-12-06, 02:59 PM
Its almost the same as the PSP version. Looks sleek and easy to use.
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060511/ps3_xmb.wmv

Mr_LoL
05-12-06, 04:59 PM
Looks good. As long as it's not fiddly I'll be happy.

Gaco
05-12-06, 06:01 PM
Doesn't look bad, but I must admit that I like 360's better :)

AthlonXP1800
05-12-06, 06:54 PM
Looked very good and user friendly. The interface is the same one posted on flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13284367@N00/57517281/) last year showed what it can do what Xbox 360 cant do.

I think PS3 interface probably will be the biggest selling point of PS3. Oh and also the hard drive as standard too. :D

Mr. Hunt
05-12-06, 06:57 PM
Looked very good and user friendly. The interface is the same one posted on flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13284367@N00/57517281/) last year showed what it can do what Xbox 360 cant do.

I think PS3 interface probably will be the biggest selling point of PS3. Oh and also the hard drive as standard too. :D

. . . right...

ENU291
05-12-06, 08:21 PM
Has anyone seen or heard any details about how Linux will be implimented on the PS3?

LiquidX
05-12-06, 08:56 PM
Has anyone seen or heard any details about how Linux will be implimented on the PS3?

Posted elsewhere.
- PS3 has Linux installed and programming is allowed. License fees are not required for individual developers. Licensed PS3 game developers can get SDK and technical support by SCE, but Linux programmers while not having to pay a license fee, obviously won't get as much support. In Linux, Cell is under the hardware layer of the OS supervisor, but things including SPEs are expected to be open to developers. Didn't show off non-game apps at E3, because well, it's E3..

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30746

slick
05-12-06, 11:07 PM

I swear to god. You will do anything to uphold anything nVidia related as godlike. You are so biased towards nVidia that I literally want to rip my nVidia card out of my computer and beat you with it untill you say something positive about ATI, or something at least not retardedly biased.

oldsk00l
05-13-06, 12:49 AM

I hate to burst your bubble, but the PS3 interface...er rather the PSP interface kinda sucks ass compared to the 360's.

But that's just me...well...and also everyone else's opinion....

PikachuMan
05-13-06, 01:10 AM
One of the really bad things about the xbox360 design is that it doesn't allow multitasking. For instance, while I'm downloading a 900MB game demo, I might want to put on some music or watch a video. Unfortunately, the Xbox360 doesn't allow that and what's more, the Xbox360 doesn't even tell you the download speed when downloading files. The PSP also has crap like this; you can't leave an MP3 playing while checking websites, for example.

They're both pretty interfaces, but the functionality needs to be worked on.

kev13dd
05-13-06, 02:06 AM
One of the really bad things about the xbox360 design is that it doesn't allow multitasking. For instance, while I'm downloading a 900MB game demo, I might want to put on some music or watch a video. Unfortunately, the Xbox360 doesn't allow that and what's more, the Xbox360 doesn't even tell you the download speed when downloading files. The PSP also has crap like this; you can't leave an MP3 playing while checking websites, for example.

They're both pretty interfaces, but the functionality needs to be worked on.
The new update will allow multitasking, but that's only an X360 update, not a PSP...

K

PeterJensen
05-13-06, 02:16 AM
I find it funny that people think that a linux system is = a open system.

Rakeesh
05-13-06, 02:41 AM
I find it funny that people think that a linux system is = a open system.

Truer words haven't been said in this thread yet. I hack the tivo platform all the time, and in spite of it being linux, its about as closed as closed can get. The only difference between it and most other DVR platforms is that the kernel is open source. Everything else is proprietary.

The main OS application is closed source, and it performs most of the functions of the unit. It reads and writes to a proprietary filesystem called MFS. Inside of that it has a very proprietary database system. The videos themselves are stored in a proprietary packaged mpeg-2 derived video format as opposed to standard mpeg-2. There is DRM all over it, and the streams are compressed by a hardware crypto chip which uses no known open specifications.

Everything the tivo hacking scene has been able to do with those is the result of years of reverse engineering. In the newer models tivo even goes way out of their way to prevent us from making any modifications at all. They apply a digital signature to the linux kernel which then does a digital signature check against all of the binaries that it executes on the hard drive. The only way we can get around it is by physically desoldering the prom, and replacing it with a reprogrammed one that doesn't have the checks. And then we have to recompile our own mips kernel that is sans all of the secondary checks.

Sony could easily do many things like this that would throw all kinds of restrictions on what homebrew developers are allowed to use. They could put huge restrictions on what API features you are allowed to use, which would severely limit how advanced your games or programs would be allowed to be. Cell phone providers do this all the time, in fact I have yet to see one that doesn't. You are allowed to build your own java apps on many providers, but you can't use most of the features of the phone without paying big bucks.

It would make sense for Sony to adopt this model as well, otherwise the software vendors would probably start complaining about free software cutting at the sales of lower market spectrum games, and then you'd also have people easily pirating games.

AthlonXP1800
05-13-06, 03:44 AM
But that's just me...well...and also everyone else's opinion....

:lol: Yeah that only just your opinion! Not everyone else's opinion, everybody like PSP interface included 2 of my friends, they loved it when they run homebrew apps on it. Over 12m PSPs had been sold to date worldwide.

Mr. Hunt
05-13-06, 08:29 AM
:lol: Yeah that only just your opinion! Not everyone else's opinion, everybody like PSP interface included 2 of my friends, they loved it when they run homebrew apps on it. Over 12m PSPs had been sold to date worldwide.

Ok I like the PSP and stuff... I like the interface... but your logic is rather flawed (and your English, too... but we won't go into that)... are you basically saying 12 million PSPs have been sold in relation to the interface or directly BECAUSE of the interface?

Gaco
05-13-06, 10:18 AM

Lol, you're so full of **** :P

Standard HDD? How is that going to make up for the missing HDMI support of the cheap version, the sudden price rise from 400$ to 600$, the weak title lineup (only MGS4 really catched attention), the disappointing return to the old controller and the overall crappy conference, where they used half the time to talk about their previous successes with PS1 and PS2. Seriously I haven't seen a title to the PS3 as yet, where I thought "wow, the X360 would never ever be capable of doing that". The PS3 er bigger and heavier than the old Xbox and all the netports and USBports they promised last year has been cut down drastically. But somehow I knew that Sony couldn't deliver at E3 so I'm not that surprised.

Anyway back to I think PS3 interface probably will be the biggest selling point of PS3 - Oh you're so full of it! :p :D

Mr. Hunt
05-13-06, 11:01 AM
Lol, you're so full of **** :P

Standard HDD? How is that going to make up for the missing HDMI support of the cheap version, the sudden price rise from 400$ to 600$, the weak title lineup (only MGS4 really catched attention), the disappointing return to the old controller and the overall crappy conference, where they used half the time to talk about their previous successes with PS1 and PS2. Seriously I haven't seen a title to the PS3 as yet, where I thought "wow, the X360 would never ever be capable of doing that". The PS3 er bigger and heavier than the old Xbox and all the netports and USBports they promised last year has been cut down drastically. But somehow I knew that Sony couldn't deliver at E3 so I'm not that surprised.

Anyway back to - Oh you're so full of it! :p :D

Ok... are you forgetting that the 360 lacks a standard HDD and doesn't even have HDMI support AT ALL right now?

Also... wow they talk about success from PS1 and PS2... Microsoft conference, "ZOMG TEH LIEV IS AUSEM!!@!@#"

Marvel_us
05-13-06, 12:02 PM
Where can you find that PS3 is the same size as Xbox1?

People are failing to understand that PS3 has it's PSU built in. Put the brick that come with the Xbox360 next to it and compare size.

The guy thinks the interface will sell the console, why is that so bad? It's his opinion.

Gaco
05-13-06, 02:10 PM
Ok... are you forgetting that the 360 lacks a standard HDD and doesn't even have HDMI support AT ALL right now?

Also... wow they talk about success from PS1 and PS2... Microsoft conference, "ZOMG TEH LIEV IS AUSEM!!@!@#"

Well yeah, Live is awesome, hearing about sales figures and misc. **** from PS1 and PS2 is not. The absence of HDMI on Xbox360 is pretty irrelevant because they both support the same resolutions, most HD TV's in peoples homes don't have HDMI connections, and component does not carry any copy protection. Why is it so important for the PS3 then? In the battle for the successor of the DVD format, Sony is betting heavilly on their own Blueray format, which can show High Definition resolutions up to 1080p. That just doesn't work without HDMI. As part of Blueray's copyprotection, Blueray movies can only be showed in High Definition, if the signal goes though a HDMI output. Otherwise you're left to watch the movie in a resolution of 540p, which is only marginally better than ordinary DVD-movies. A result, if you want to use your PS3 as a Blueray-player you have to buy the expensive version.

Where can you find that PS3 is the same size as Xbox1?

People are failing to understand that PS3 has it's PSU built in. Put the brick that come with the Xbox360 next to it and compare size.

The guy thinks the interface will sell the console, why is that so bad? It's his opinion.

Sure it's his opinion, we're just letting him know it's bull**** ;)

Found these figures at dailyrush.dk:

PS3: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm / 5kg
Xbox: 320mm x 101mm x 260mm / 3.84kg
Xbox 360: 309mm x 83mm x 258mm / 3.49kg

Personally I have no strong inclination towards either build-in or external PSU's, but I can imagine that you spare a lot of heat to the remaining system when you take it out of the box.
And also wtf no rumble effect in the controller of the PS3? Originally PS3 should also have had a wealth of A/V-outputs, three 1Gbit networkconnectors, seven USB-ports and two HDMI outputs. These figures have been cut down drastically, see for yourself:
http://www.dailyrush.dk/associated/feature/1080/ss1.jpg

OWA
05-13-06, 02:24 PM
Sure it's his opinion, we're just letting him know it's bull**** ;)

He said he thinks the interface will be one of the biggest selling points of the PS3. I fail to see how having an opinion such as that can be BS, especially at this stage.

Gaco
05-13-06, 02:42 PM
At this stage? What's that supposed to mean? I would say especially at this stage speaks against it. Why? Because the X360 is already here, now, at this stage.

I really think it's total ludicrous to think that a console is gonna sell on interface over the more fundamental things, especially now that the Xbox360 has given us a seamless, featurefilled, superbly designed interface, so the PS3 won't be having a huge advantage in this field. It will be no advantage because they're gonna be equally good or it could be a small advantage if you think it's better in some smaller areas, but based on that video and what we've heard, it is safe to assume that the PS3 won't be having a huge advantage on the interface aspect.

Seriously think it through again. Do you seriously believe that the Playstation3 will go right into everybody's hearts and sell BIG hugely because of the interface? No way, people buy consoles mainly because of games, but ok we'll see, lets do some statistics on how the gamers respond when on the night of release asked the question whilst standing standing in queue: "Why are you buying the PS3"?

If "Interface" tops "MGS4", ill give you my Xbox360 for free, incl. shipping fee ;)

OWA
05-13-06, 02:46 PM
At this stage? What's that supposed to mean? I would say especially at this stage speaks against it. Why? Because the X360 is already here, now, at this stage.

Yeah, because it hasn't shipped yet and since that's the case we don't know why people are going to like it/dislike it/buy it/not buy it, etc.

Edit: As for the features that sell it or don't sell it, games aren't the only selling point. Maybe to kids, yes, but there are other factors that I look for. For example, if I had known how loud the Xbox 360 is, I'm not sure I would have purchased it. It's a catch-22 situation. It runs too hot to keep in closed cabinet but it's too loud to keep out in the open. While most kids probably don't care about the noise, it's something that is important to me. Point is, the interface as a selling point is as valid as any other opinion (IMO anyway).

Gaco
05-13-06, 03:32 PM
Yeah, because it hasn't shipped yet and since that's the case we don't know why people are going to like it/dislike it/buy it/not buy it, etc.
My point is, it can't possibly outdo the Xbox360 significanly at this point, so why would it ever be a major factor?
But sure the interface is a selling point. But there are dozens of selling points. Difference is, he thinks that the interface is going to sell the console, which suggests that the interface will be a major selling point at least. That is just so unrealistic. Of cause he is entitled to have his own opinion, I'm mere expressing why I think it's totally bull. The interface is a factor to be considered along with numerous of other factors, whose sum will make out the final decision. I'll be damned if any console would ever sell itself because of the interface, but as I said, let's wait and see..

OWA
05-13-06, 03:36 PM
My point is, it can't possibly outdo the Xbox360 significanly at this point, so why would it ever be a major factor?
But sure the interface is a selling point. But there are dozens of selling points. Difference is, he thinks that the interface is going to sell the console, which suggests that the interface will be a major selling point at least. That is just so unrealistic. Of cause he is entitled to have his own opinion, I'm mere expressing why I think it's totally bull. The interface is a factor to be considered along with numerous of other factors, whose sum will make out the final decision. I'll be damned if any console would ever sell itself because of the interface, but as I said, let's wait and see..
Fair enough.

PikachuMan
05-13-06, 03:53 PM
Well yeah, Live is awesome, hearing about sales figures and misc. **** from PS1 and PS2 is not. The absence of HDMI on Xbox360 is pretty irrelevant because they both support the same resolutions, most HD TV's in peoples homes don't have HDMI connections, and component does not carry any copy protection. Why is it so important for the PS3 then? In the battle for the successor of the DVD format, Sony is betting heavilly on their own Blueray format, which can show High Definition resolutions up to 1080p. That just doesn't work without HDMI. As part of Blueray's copyprotection, Blueray movies can only be showed in High Definition, if the signal goes though a HDMI output. Otherwise you're left to watch the movie in a resolution of 540p, which is only marginally better than ordinary DVD-movies. A result, if you want to use your PS3 as a Blueray-player you have to buy the expensive version.

Just some notes to keep people informed.

*This down-sampling is part of AACS copy protection scheme.
*It is shared by both Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
*It is optional, and will be decided by the movie disk you are playing.
*All release titles for Blu-ray will not have this enabled.
*This restriction also makes Microsoft's HD-DVD attachment useless.

Link (http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/24/1333207) for those unfamiliar with the situation.