PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions here, SLI..Etc..

[TrollFX]
05-12-06, 07:06 PM
I have just recently purchased 2 EVGA 7900 GT cards to run in SLI mode , so far Im loving the idea of having two fast video cards paired together, but Im either afraid one..I don't have something set up right, or two..I just don;t plan understand the tech, although I would consider myslef quite tech savy .
So here goes :

1. If I have two cards with 256mb a piece, does this not make my total vram 512mb..? Says I still have 256mb in the control panel first page with sli enabled, if not..then does each portion of what it renders even use the ram from card two..?

2. Am I stressing my SLI combo enough ? I don't see any tangibe diff playing morrowind oblivion with 1 card vs SLI mode . Running it in 1680x1050, with 4xAA, 8X anisotropic filtering..etc, and game settings are pretty darn maxed out other that shadows . Game runs great, but see no difference in performance, also am unable to see SLI balnce loading bars in this game as well when that option is checked..problem there..?

Thanks for any answers ahead of time .

System :

a64 x2 4200 +
2 gb corsair ram
2 7900gt in sli
dell 2007fpw widescreen lcd

einstein_314
05-12-06, 07:46 PM
1) No, the cards cannot share memory. They each have to load all the textures and stuff into their own memories. So you will only ever have 256mb.

2)Do you SLI enabled for the game? Check the profile for it and see if it is set to single card mode. If it is, change it to one of the SLI rendering modes. Also check to make sure SLI is enabled in the first place....

OWA
05-12-06, 08:10 PM
Do you have vsync on is Oblivion? The load balancing bars won't usually show up if vsync is enabled and you won't normally see much of an fps increase with vsync enabled also.

john19055
05-12-06, 09:13 PM
On some game the SLI just does'nt seem to help much ,but on most of them you will see a difference when running higher resolutions and useing FSAA and aniso.

[TrollFX]
05-13-06, 12:53 PM
Ok so I know now not to run v-sync for sure..thanks for the replies..