PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy 6600 AGP freeze in 2D

foodude2
05-13-06, 11:41 AM
Hello,

I have a problem with my 6600 (not GT). It freezes randomly in 2d mode, when I'm on the desktop, but absolutly not in 3d games (just maked a 4 days LAN with no problems in games). Using coolbits I underclocked the 2D GPU clock from 305 to 200MHz and it solved the problem. But I have to do it each time I reboot, and I guess it's a "quick and dirty" method... The thermal monitor shows me about 42C (in 2d), and I get the same problem on a friend's computer with my card into it. I also tested without FW and SBA, with NvAGP 1, it does not change anything. My PSU is a Forton FSP350-60PN, volatges seems good...
Thanks.

Lfctony
05-13-06, 11:45 AM
Doesn't Coolbits keep the settings?

foodude2
05-13-06, 12:20 PM
Lfctony: Not by default... sure it would be a way to make it permanent, loading the config automatically at each boot, or flashing the vbios, but as I said I am looking for a better way to solve my problem, and perhabs find out the cause of these freezes.

Lfctony
05-13-06, 01:38 PM
Try using Rivatuner, maybe that will allow you to keep the settings. D/L from Guru3D.

foodude2
05-13-06, 01:58 PM
When I'm saying "looking for a better way to solve my problem", I'm not talking about a way to keep my 2D GPU clock at 200MHz, but about another way to solve the problem... If 305MHz is the default for this card, it SHOULD work, so the problem is coming from somewhere else.
Sure I could just keep it at 200MHz and all would run ok, but that's not normal to have to do this, for me it's just a way to keep my card working until I can get it working at its default frequency.

sharangad
05-13-06, 04:19 PM
When I'm saying "looking for a better way to solve my problem", I'm not talking about a way to keep my 2D GPU clock at 200MHz, but about another way to solve the problem... If 305MHz is the default for this card, it SHOULD work, so the problem is coming from somewhere else.
Sure I could just keep it at 200MHz and all would run ok, but that's not normal to have to do this, for me it's just a way to keep my card working until I can get it working at its default frequency.

If this is still under warranty, I'd send it back and get another one.

foodude2
05-14-06, 08:06 AM
Unfortunally, it's not under warrantly anymore.

Lfctony
05-14-06, 10:48 AM

Sorry, I missed the part about "better way", just read the top and skipped to recommend RT. RMAing would be the most definite answer, since it might get worse as time goes by... But since you can't do that... I'm out of suggestions.