PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia ForceWare 84.66

bobby98762001
05-13-06, 11:07 AM
Hey Folks,
I have an Nvidia Geforce 6700 XL PCI video card in my system connected directly to my Sony LCD HDTV using the DVI connection on the graphics card.
I am quite new to all this HDTV but as HDTV broadcasts have not arrived in my country I have only standard analog TV available to me (480i??). When I connect my analog cable to my tuner card the picture quality is quite bad compared to when i connect my analog cable directly to my Sony TV.
Are there predefined settings/profiles for the graphics card out there that will enable me to improve this picture? Will simply setting my video display card to 480i improve this? Does the TV tuner software i have installed on my PC have an impact with regards quality of the picture? Currently I use Medion Power Cinema 4.7, What software would you recommend in order to get a good TV picture from my analog cable going through my tuner card.
Is there a users manual for the above ForceWare 84.66 driver?
Is the ForeWare 84.66 the latest & best driver available for my graphics card?
Are there wizards available that will help me set my card up correctly depending on if i want HDTV of SDTV?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks In advance
Rob

bobby98762001
05-13-06, 01:29 PM
can anyone help me on this matter?
is this the correct group to post?
thanks
Rob

sharangad
05-13-06, 03:16 PM
Hey Folks,
When I connect my analog cable to my tuner card the picture quality is quite bad compared to when i connect my analog cable directly to my Sony TV.

The quality of your recording and how you see them depend on these:

1) The quality of the analogue cable signal. This seems to be alright since you said it looks fine on yer TV.

2) The quality of the recording on yer PC. Most TV tuners cards either present a raw uncompressed capture or in the case of those with hardware encoders produce an MPEG-2 file. In the case of software based tv tuner cards, they often come with TV tuning software which might not deinterlace the video and you end up with horrible tearing/scan line effects. This can be fixed with better capture software such as Snapstream Beyond TV, Meedio, Sage and so on. A hardware card will usually produce correctly interlaced video.

3) Assuming the video coming from yer TV tuner card is alright and there is nothing wrong with it, 'tis then up to yer graphics card/ playback software:

a) It might not be be correctly decoding/deinterlacing the video. In the case of hardware deinterlacing using the graphics card, if the result doesn't look right ( such as is the case with my Radeon X1600 ) it might be worth switching to software decoding as this might produce a better image but at the cost of more CPU being used for it. Try other decoders such as ffdshow and other player software demos to see if they do it right. In my opinion nVidia GF6/7 cards have superior MPEG-2 deinterlacing compare to ATi's Radeon X1k series whose vector/motion adaptive deinterlacing leave horrible smear trails all over the place in dark scenes. The decoder app you use will also matter. Try the trial versions of a few decoders, such as nVidia's PureVideo decoder, PowerDVD. WinDVD, TheaterTek and such.

b) Assuming yer decoding is correct, then you need to consider yer TV connections. Composite is the worst followed by S-Video, component and DVI for connection to TVs. If you don't know whether yer TV playback is bad due to yer TV connection, try it out on a PC monitor and see if the problems persist. If they do then 'tis yer caputure/playback software/hardware which is at fault. If it looks hunky dory on a PC monitor , then try an alternative method of connecting to yer TV.

Hope this helps.