PDA

View Full Version : Very odd graphical problem

JohnnyUK
05-13-06, 01:37 PM
Hey all
I seem to be having a rather mysterious problem with Oblivion - one that doesn't seem to make sense at all.

I recently got a second graphics card shoved in here for SLi - I've heard there's been problems abound with SLi and Oblivion, but I had no problems with it until I went into a dungeon - can't remember which one (and no way to find out). Oblivion froze, throwing some sort of warped VRAM remnants onscreen and I had to reboot the PC.

Since then when I boot up oblivion, I get the logo in the middle of the screen during the loading screen (the developer logo's before it show fine) but I get a big block purple colour around the logo now - and when it loads, it stays like that with music in the background, effectively crashing it.

I've tried new and old drivers, reinstalling the game, removing my saves, deleting and tweaking the ini, reinstalling DirectX9c - the lot. I'm now pretty much out of ideas. Let me stress that the system is, as far as I know, spyware/virus free and that all my other games work flawlessly.

My specs are:
AMD Athlong FX-57
2GB (4x512) DDR RAM
2x SLi GeForce 7800 (512MB edition)
Asus A8N SLi Deluxe Motherboard

Any idea's as to what might cause this? I've looked everywhere but there's so many threads on this game all over the net that I've given up...

SH64
05-13-06, 05:51 PM
Did you try running a single card only ? (with SLI disabled from BIOS not just the display drivers)

odds that one of them might be defective , or has just been after that dungeon ..

also try & see if any other games are affected aswell ?!

JohnnyUK
05-13-06, 08:34 PM
It's only been after that dungeon I'm afraid - all my other games seem fine, but I'll have a go at disabling SLi in the bios tomorrow.

Thanks for helping!

JohnnyUK
05-14-06, 07:56 PM
Well, I sorted it - I had to uninstall, delete both oblivion folders (install folder and the my documents/my games/oblivion folder) and run a registry cleaner to solve it. Very odd, but I HATE when someone posts a problem and doesn't post the solution - so there it is.

Oh, and I backed up my save files, so I've lost no ground. TOTAL happiness. =)

SH64
05-14-06, 09:35 PM
Well, I sorted it - I had to uninstall, delete both oblivion folders (install folder and the my documents/my games/oblivion folder) and run a registry cleaner to solve it. Very odd, but I HATE when someone posts a problem and doesn't post the solution - so there it is.

Oh, and I backed up my save files, so I've lost no ground. TOTAL happiness. =)
Congrats & thank god it wasent hardware related.
& yeah thanks for posting the solution , it might become handy for many others.

now .. enjoy Oblivion! :D