PDA

View Full Version : Forceware claims not enough power?

Pages : [1] 2

a12ctic
05-13-06, 03:10 PM
Forceware claims that i dont have enough power to power my video card in 3d, when i boot up to my linux partion i can run 3d perfectly, whats the deal?

To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/4432/stupidwindows6oc.png

btw its a pci-e 6600GT

grey_1
05-13-06, 03:24 PM
Forceware claims that i dont have enough power to power my video card in 3d, when i boot up to my linux partion i can run 3d perfectly, whats the deal?

To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

I'd try a different set of drivers first, which one you using? (funny asking YOU which win driver your using:D ). Also that message isn't specifying a power issue. Is anything changed in bios , clocks, bus etc?

EDIT: Your screeny wasn't up at first, that's a new one on me, sry I can't help ya.

a12ctic
05-13-06, 03:27 PM
ive tried 84.2X (forget exactly), 84.66, and 80.xx (again forgot).

OWA
05-13-06, 03:41 PM
The linux partition has probably infected the XP one. Cleanse your harddrive of linux and all will be well again.

a12ctic
05-13-06, 03:42 PM
first thing i did was take out the second harddrive that the linux partion was on to save power, nothing

a12ctic
05-13-06, 03:57 PM
now i took it out and put it back in, no differnece there either

grey_1
05-13-06, 04:03 PM
Sorry if I ask the obvious, just trying to cover bases is all,

chipset drivers are installed
tried another psu
all power connectors to mobo are seated properly

When all else fails, disconnect EVERYTHING except what you need to boot and attempt the driver install again.
If you have 2 sticks of ram take one out, try swapping etc. fwiw, an item working on 1 platform but not another doesn't always mean the hardware is ok. I've been using debian about 6 years now and run into that both ways, so don't let bias stop you from checking everything. You'll drive yourself nuts.:)

a12ctic
05-13-06, 04:25 PM
Sorry if I ask the obvious, just trying to cover bases is all,

chipset drivers are installed
tried another psu
all power connectors to mobo are seated properly

When all else fails, disconnect EVERYTHING except what you need to boot and attempt the driver install again.
If you have 2 sticks of ram take one out, try swapping etc. fwiw, an item working on 1 platform but not another doesn't always mean the hardware is ok. I've been using debian about 6 years now and run into that both ways, so don't let bias stop you from checking everything. You'll drive yourself nuts.:)
eh ive already tried all that crap, i gues ill reinstall windows

grey_1
05-13-06, 04:30 PM
Did this do this on your first attempt to install forceware? If so did you delete the forceware folder after uninstalling those drivers, but before installing new ones? If not setup might be using the same, whatever it is, that's causing your problem. I dunno, wierd one, good luck dude.

a12ctic
05-13-06, 04:33 PM
its because god is mad at me for giving in :( but oblivion is just so awsome i cant resist

AthlonXP1800
05-13-06, 04:47 PM
Try check your PSU power cable properly plug in. I had that issue everytime last year thought to be forceware issue but it not, I found out it was caused by my PSU cable plugged in slight off the right angle and I pushed up the cable up and then the warning message were gone everytime PC restarted. :)

a12ctic
05-13-06, 05:06 PM
even after reinstallation of windows same error, this is really ****ing gay....

sniggle
05-13-06, 08:01 PM
You're running an AMD64 on a 350 watt PSU. According to some specs I found on that PSU, it has only 12A on the 12v line. That is not nearly enough juice for the rig you're running. Just because Linux doesn't give you a power warning, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I would highly recommend upgrading your PSU to something with at least 18A on the 12v line.

a12ctic
05-13-06, 08:32 PM
You're running an AMD64 on a 350 watt PSU. According to some specs I found on that PSU, it has only 12A on the 12v line. That is not nearly enough juice for the rig you're running. Just because Linux doesn't give you a power warning, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I would highly recommend upgrading your PSU to something with at least 18A on the 12v line.
the sticker on my ps says 18v... and it ran fine on windows 3 months ago...

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6548/pict00053zf.jpg

a12ctic
05-13-06, 08:52 PM
this... windows is the biggest joke of an operating system ive EVER used, i just updated my bios to make sure that wasnt the problem and my windows partion wont boot... what a ****ing joke....

a12ctic
05-13-06, 09:04 PM
i think ill have to rma my card :(

sniggle
05-13-06, 09:06 PM
this... windows is the biggest joke of an operating system ive EVER used, i just updated my bios to make sure that wasnt the problem and my windows partion wont boot... what a ****ing joke....

I really doubt that's Windows' fault. It probably just changed the boot order of your devices.

Get a program like SpeedFan and see what your voltages are like when idle and under 3D load. If the 12v line dips below 11.5v you have a problem.

a12ctic
05-13-06, 09:09 PM
ya, except i cant get in 3d load..

AthlonXP1800
05-13-06, 09:39 PM
the sticker on my ps says 18v... and it ran fine on windows 3 months ago...

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6548/pict00053zf.jpg

Hmmm your PC power cable seem has different shape, it probably very old non standard cable. I could suggest you to try plug in new PC power cable like this (http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=799057&store=pcmall&source=pwbfroogle&adcampaign=email,pwbfroogle&wt.mc_id=pwbfroogle).

a12ctic
05-13-06, 09:46 PM
Hmmm your PC power cable seem has different shape, it probably very old non standard cable. I could suggest you to try plug in new PC power cable like this.
lol its the same cable...

zyklon69
05-14-06, 03:27 PM
Uhh,... is the powercable for the video card plugged in? I got that message before when i forgot to plug it in.

a12ctic
05-14-06, 03:39 PM
Uhh,... is the powercable for the video card plugged in? I got that message before when i forgot to plug it in.
there is none for the 6600GT PCI-E

On another subject, would RMAing through evga be the easiest? How exactly do you go about this?

edit: i booted up my linux partion today and it wouldnt run quake 4, but less intensive games (on the 2d clocks), windows DEFFINATLY fried my card :(

CaptNKILL
05-14-06, 04:17 PM
there is none for the 6600GT PCI-E

On another subject, would RMAing through evga be the easiest? How exactly do you go about this?

edit: i booted up my linux partion today and it wouldnt run quake 4, but less intensive games (on the 2d clocks), windows DEFFINATLY fried my card :(
Yeah, windows did it ;)

a12ctic
05-14-06, 04:26 PM
microsoft has been spying on me waiting to KILL MY GRAPHICS CARD

Lyme
05-14-06, 05:07 PM
Go to the evga web page, and click on the support link. Email them with a full and complete description of the problem and what you have done to resolve the issue. Be polite and don't swear or curse (no matter how fustrated you are).

Never send anything back to a company as a RMA without a RMA number from the company.

You may want to check their website for reports of the same problem, they may have a new bios or such. Also if you have a friend with a similar machine, you may want to test the card there. Sometimes PSU's that say ??watts are not.