PDA

View Full Version : Does transparency AA work when using in-game AA?

Stevedroid
05-13-06, 03:06 PM
Will transparency AA still work when you set AA through the settings menu of a specific game or do you need to override the application settings and set AA in the drivers?

I'm trying to enable transparency AA in FEAR and it doesn't seem to be having much effect. Specifically when I move away from fences and they drop down the detail it looks really bad as seen below. Also I still get a fairly ugly moire and crawling on floor grates. Am I doing something wrong or does transparency AA not work with FEAR?

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4135/fearfence7gu.jpg

grey_1
05-13-06, 03:11 PM
Are you enabling softshadows at the same time? I don't believe they've fixed the ingame bug yet that won't let ss and aa be set at the same time.

Stevedroid
05-13-06, 04:03 PM
Are you enabling softshadows at the same time? I don't believe they've fixed the ingame bug yet that won't let ss and aa be set at the same time.
No I don't have soft shadows on and general AA is obviously enabled as I don't see any jaggies on poly edges. I just don't see any difference with transparency AA, but then again I don't know if it works when you're using the game AA as opposed to driver AA. Though I did try things through the driver as well and still didn't see any difference.

Tabs
05-14-06, 01:12 AM
I can confirm this - discovered it last night playing Sin Episodes Emergence in the area with all the crazy chainlink fencing. I have Transparancy SS set in the profile but it doesn't actually activate. Had AA and AF set to app pref and then to 4X/16X in the game.

Same story in Flight Simulator 2004, which doesn't even have app preferrence for AA/AF.

I had to set the global Nvidia setting to 4X AA 16X AF TranspSS to make it work in both games...

Seems like there's a bug with the app profiles not overriding the global ones. These are the latest betas from Nzone by the way.

Stevedroid
05-14-06, 03:10 PM
Well I tried setting 4x AA in FEAR's app profile and turning it off in the game and I did definitely get general AA even though my global settings where set to app preference. So for me at least (using 84.21) the app profiles do work for normal AA I don't know about transparency AA though.

Tabs, in Sin:Emergence can you try setting AA in the game, but transparency AA in your global driver settings and see if it works? I'm not to concerned about the app profiles working. I just wanna know if transparency AA works when you set general AA through the game instead of the drivers.

I've tried every combination and FEAR still looks the same to me. Unfortunately, I don't really have another game where I know transparency AA works to use as a reference.

K-1
05-14-06, 05:43 PM
Well I tried setting 4x AA in FEAR's app profile and turning it off in the game and I did definitely get general AA even though my global settings where set to app preference. So for me at least (using 84.21) the app profiles do work for normal AA I don't know about transparency AA though.

Tabs, in Sin:Emergence can you try setting AA in the game, but transparency AA in your global driver settings and see if it works? I'm not to concerned about the app profiles working. I just wanna know if transparency AA works when you set general AA through the game instead of the drivers.

I've tried every combination and FEAR still looks the same to me. Unfortunately, I don't really have another game where I know transparency AA works to use as a reference.

transparency AA definitely works for me when i use in-game AA. i just loaded up the cs_militia map in counter-strike: source, map has a ton of foliage and tree cover, and the difference is obvious with trans AA on/off, and my AA set to 4x through the game. using the 84.21 drivers.

OWA
05-14-06, 09:01 PM
Yeah, TAA:SS works well in Sin Episodes but you have to correct the profile so it points to SinEpisodes.exe instead of Sin.exe or you can change the global settings.

OWA
05-14-06, 09:28 PM
It definitely works in FEAR. Here is an example of TAA:SS off versus TAA:SS on (cropped so I could show the examples in the post).

Off
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/530fd5b02b.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

On
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/817667a2d8.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Stevedroid
05-15-06, 07:18 PM
The grates look nice and smooth up close like the lower picture on my machine so TAA must be working.

The problem is transparent textures at a distance, like the chain link in my original post. Though I guess that's due to it dropping down in res from the mip mapping. Probably not much I can do about that.

OWA
05-15-06, 07:19 PM
Also, something I just thought of, make sure you're using HQ mode in the profile.

The moire pattern on grates happens even if I use HQ AF on the X1900XTX so I think it's just the game. Crawling could be the a result of Nvidia's AF. HQ mode gets rid of most of it but you can usually still see a little even when HQ is enabled.

Edit: BTW, can you post the save point for the fence. I really wanted to test the fence but none of my saves (I only have a few) had fences anywhere in sight. Edit 2: Hmm, looking at the save directory, it's not clear to me if that would work or not.