PDA

View Full Version : Problem after upgrading to X2

orphenshadow
05-13-06, 04:34 PM
My system ran flawlessly, i traded my 3800 for a 3800X2, now i get constant machine check errors, i have read that its a problem with nvidia ide driver, so i reinstalled drivers it helped, now i get it occasionaly when loading games ect. the system will soemtimes just hard lock. the cpu is idle at 35c and 40 on load...
I reformatted 3 times... this latest time im trying 64 bit wxppro and transfering data between two hard drives is taking forever. like a 300 meg file on raptors is taking some 20 mins... its insane anyone know of any issues with the x2, or the mobo GA-k8n-SLI that could be causing this.. or did i just get a bunk processor?

betterdan
05-14-06, 12:04 AM
Just quit installing the nvidia ide drivers and use the standard windows drivers.

ViN86
05-14-06, 08:39 AM
did you install the X2 drivers

LBJM
05-14-06, 06:12 PM
Just quit installing the nvidia ide drivers and use the standard windows drivers.

if he is using nvraid he needs the drivers. orphenshadow are you using raid? if not remove the ide driver.

OWA
05-14-06, 08:31 PM
Like what was mentioned already, make sure you install the X2 driver.

orphenshadow
05-15-06, 06:56 AM
Yes i have installed the X2 driver. Also i am using Raid, specefically Nvraid, however i cannot enable ide drivers from nvidia because it will crash every five mins with machine check. I can get it somewhat stable wihout them, however if i enable usb2.0 or shadow on the usbmemory it just locks up with no response this is very frustrating. and from what i can gather is caused mainly by my motherboard being a GA-k8n-Sli, and not a more expensive and better board.

Prime
05-15-06, 08:17 AM
If you have to RAID, then I'd spring for a standalone RAID card. I've never been able to get a system to work reliably with the nvidia IDE drivers installed. I can't believe they still haven't fixed them. :(

orphenshadow
05-15-06, 03:56 PM
They worked great with my single core cpu... i may look into a good inexpense raid card, any reccomendations?

betterdan
05-15-06, 07:36 PM
if he is using nvraid he needs the drivers. orphenshadow are you using raid? if not remove the ide driver.
Oops yea I didn't think about him using raid. :o

fps_dean
05-15-06, 09:55 PM
You may have a problem similiar to what I had and not actually related to RAID. The latest versions of nVidias IDE drivers were not a problem at all for me with my old board or my new board (but you bet I tried not installing them too when I was troubleshooting).

I had a problem with the X2 + USB2 which would throw me a blue screen in 2003, and in xp it would occasionally freeze the system forcing me to hard power down, and sometimes it would blue screen. This isn't a problem with just the nforce4 chipsets as it effects VIA too.

The nForce4 SLI X16 does not have this problem and DFI and MSI have released BIOS updates which will solve the problem for some people if not everyone. I do not believe Gigabyte has, and I've been told that Abit and Asus have not for their nForce4 SLI, NOT X16 boards. More and more people are figuring this out though so if you are willing to wait however long, I would imagine they will eventually get around to it. I got a Asus A8N32 board and it solved my problem completely!

Anyway, if you have an external usb hard drive, you may test with that. At first when I noticed it was freezing with my usb hard drive, it would freeze, or bsod in 2003 after transfering something like 5-7gb of data with the nvidia usb2 driver included with my old motherboard cd. Without it, I could get 40-50gb before it would blue screen.

If your keyboard and/or mouse is usb, that is enough to eventually throw the error.

There are a couple ways you can test for this. Disable usb2 in your bios or add /onecpu to your boot.ini to boot from one cpu.

Before doing this, I suggest loading up counter strike source, start a server with say 31 bots to tax the system a bit, let the bots play and go watch a movie or two. If it does not crash or freeze, but it crashes after you play for as long or less and your mouse/keyboard is usb, then you have identified your problem.

Being as the problem started after you got a X2, I would put my money on this! I do not however use RAID, so you may be experiencing yet another X2 related error that I have not seen. If you browse AMD's website, there is a pdf file full of various X2 errors - I am not sure if the usb2+X2 error or anything else related is even listed there or not (I did not pay too much attention to it, as I already solved my problem by the time I saw it).

Please keep me updated - (send me a message so I get an email and respond faster) and let me know what happens as I would be glad to further assist you! It was a real bitch to identify the actual problem but as soon as I read a thread on some forum that I came across in a google search, it was the only thing that made sense and was in fact the problem.

The slow drive transfers may or may not be caused by something else although on my old board, a Biostar N4SLI-A9, usb2 and one of the IDE controllers did share an IRQ and I believe if your usb controllers share an IRQ with anything then you will have this problem, so it could very well effect the other half of it too! If you right click on my computer and go to manage and co to Event Viewer > System, it should show errors. XP does not always report errors especially when it freezes and does not even blue screen, so you may find that the nvidia raid drivers are throwing an error, but you do also have the usb2+x2 problem as well and it may not be reported. Details are welcome ;)

john19055
05-18-06, 12:24 AM
I am useing a Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI and my raid works perfect with the nvidia raid driver ,I have ran it with Raid-0 x4drives stipped and right now I am useing two raid-0 setups and everthing works fine I have no problem with my usb2 ports.

orphenshadow
06-14-06, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply's sorry for the delay, it seems to be a combination of issues. I have narrowed it down to the USB, conflicting with the onboard sound, i believe, IF i have onboard sound enabled while using usb 2, i get machine check errors, with nvidia drivers, i have since stopped using raid, and the raid driver, i have also put on realtek sound drivers, (i use both audigy 2 and onboard one for teamspeak one for speakers) and re-enabled usb2.0 everything seems to be running smooth, I did notice that USB did not help the issue, i also turned the acceleration settings on dxdiag for the onboard sound to minimal, as well as added all x2/amd patch's This seems to be running pretty stable.

I have made my decesion, as soon as i can save up some cash, i am going to return this pos board, and go buy either an Asus, or MSI board. As they actually have good support, and i havent read any issues with them.

fps_dean
09-10-06, 06:38 AM
It seems for sure this is the USB2+dual core problem then..... if you can get each device on its own IRQ than it may crash less, but it wont solve it.....

If you tried what I said and determine USB crashes it, then your best bet is to get a new board, either the nforce4 SLI X16 chipset or a DFI or MSI motherboard as they have released fixes for the problem and get it solved and never have it crash again.

DataMatrix
09-10-06, 06:48 AM

No he doesn't need the IDE drivers, they are for PATA only. NVRAID doesn't use PATA.