PDA

View Full Version : xfx 7900gt dead !

takovr
05-13-06, 06:15 PM
Had this card for maybe a week, now card wont play 3d games when I play them I get streaks all over my screen, runs fine when not playing games though, I will try to return it to newegg but I did put a zelman cooler on it I hope that doesen't void the warrenty. I have been reading alot of posts about the 7900gt locking up in games and such. Not sure what card to get next.

GuOD
05-13-06, 06:21 PM
I think the 7900gt just aren't working properly in general.

apparently XFX is not using reference boards either - they make their own

i had a 550xfx at release that was defective, replaced with a 520 which had those streaks, so just refunded. that's two defective cards!

takovr
05-13-06, 06:25 PM
Well I have never had a problem with any of my other video cards except for this one. Not sure what card to get next ati or nvidia? My computer is overclocked from 2.2gigs to 2.5 gigs but I dont think that is the problem.
Even when I set it to default 2.2gigs card still crashes and goes crazy....

micron
05-13-06, 07:01 PM
I know XFX has become a popular brand lately, but I've always seen them in the past as being kind of a cheapy solution.

Richteralan
05-13-06, 09:08 PM

apparently XFX is not using reference boards either - they make their own

i had a 550xfx at release that was defective, replaced with a 520 which had those streaks, so just refunded. that's two defective cards!

ALL 7900GTs using reference board.
Some eVGA boards have extra components soldered on it.

Dr@Home
05-13-06, 10:17 PM
I know XFX has become a popular brand lately, but I've always seen them in the past as being kind of a cheapy solution.Same, but I still went on and bought one of the 520/1500 versions anyways. Havn't had any issues with it yet.:o

K-1
05-13-06, 10:42 PM

hmm i think that's an overly general quote :). mine's working just fine, along with all my friends' 7900s.

takovr, do you get 3D corruption right away, or does it take some time before it appears? what are you temperatures? sure you got the zalman on there right? maybe try putting the stock fan back on?

takovr
05-13-06, 11:35 PM
I only have problems when I play 3d games ex, Fear,Doom3 Quake 4 etc.
Also when I run 3d marks 2005 about half way threw program I get bad video corruption, streaking and then computer locks up.

Stevedroid
05-14-06, 12:44 AM
I was getting a lot of locking up or crashing in several games I played, some had graphics corruption and like you guys, I assumed it was my 7900GT. However, it turns out it was actually my processor overclock, which was rather mild 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz. I set my processor back to standard clocks and my system has been rock solid ever since.

The moral is that there are dozens of variables in a PC, don't be so quick to assume it's the card.

However, I should mention that I ran my processor at that speed in my older system (and AGP mobo with an ATI card) without any problems. So it's either my new mobo or somehow the 7900GTs are sensitive to the system CPU being overclocked.

john19055
05-14-06, 02:11 AM
Plus there is a lot of drivers out there I was getting some texture flickering in Sin Episodes and change to a different driver and all was cleared up.

AdmiralHalsey..
05-14-06, 09:07 AM
My xfx died too. I abused it though...:banghead:

Crucible
05-19-06, 06:33 AM
My xfx died too. I abused it though...:banghead:

At least he is honest about it.

I have not had a single problem with my xfx 520/****. I have also not touched the fan/heatsink or overclocked even the slightest. I would bet that 90% of the people having problems at least overclocked a little. I mean everyone loves to put in the shiney new card and try out a few small overclocks. Maybe these damaged the card...

The 7900GTs are already at their limits with these crappy fans. Do not overclock them unless you can accept them becoming broken. And please do not RMA it when it is your fault it broke. You are upping the cost of cards when you do, and stealing from the people who make them. And no I don't mean a few % overclock. I am talking about the people who overclock like crazy, change fan/heatsink, voltmod, trashing the card process.

AdmiralHalsey..
05-21-06, 01:47 AM
Um, i think the last poster might work for xfx and registered solely to defend his company, just a thought... I rma'd mine and the second one is working fine:D I've never seen an overclock result in instant and irreversable damage either, and quite frankly the heatsink they put on the 7900gts is inadequate and a joke. It won't hold up in SLI, it was put on solely to limit overclocking, and if the card makers wanna cry about rma's, maybe they should be proactive about making sure their cards can survive a mild overclock or the heat of sli, Cause people will just rma them anyway. And for the record, my bfg 7900gt didn't work out of the box, and many people had this issue. These cards are just so freaking cheap looking, from the glued on capacitors to the flimsy pcb's to the cheapo HSF's with the glued on [thats right] copper fins. XFX and Nvidia can both blow me. Go cry to your 50% profit margins. End histerical school girl rant.

P.S. Just to be fair, I have no idea, nor could I prove, if you work at xfx or not, and the above rant is aimed squarly at nvidia and it's "reference design" glue and copper gpu decoration, not at you Crucible.

SnilloC
05-21-06, 04:55 PM
Um, i think the last poster might work for xfx and registered solely to defend his company, just a thought... I rma'd mine and the second one is working fine:D I've never seen an overclock result in instant and irreversable damage either, and quite frankly the heatsink they put on the 7900gts is inadequate and a joke. It won't hold up in SLI, it was put on solely to limit overclocking, and if the card makers wanna cry about rma's, maybe they should be proactive about making sure their cards can survive a mild overclock or the heat of sli, Cause people will just rma them anyway. And for the record, my bfg 7900gt didn't work out of the box, and many people had this issue. These cards are just so freaking cheap looking, from the glued on capacitors to the flimsy pcb's to the cheapo HSF's with the glued on [thats right] copper fins. XFX and Nvidia can both blow me. Go cry to your 50% profit margins. End histerical school girl rant.

P.S. Just to be fair, I have no idea, nor could I prove, if you work at xfx or not, and the above rant is aimed squarly at nvidia and it's "reference design" glue and copper gpu decoration, not at you Crucible.

Well put Admiral!!!

MadKent
05-21-06, 05:32 PM
The 7900GTs are already at their limits with these crappy fans.

and

I am talking about the people who[...]change fan/heatsink...

is kind of contradictory.

Nowadays most reputable distributors will still honor the warranty even if the customer has replaced the cooler *as long as the card has not been physically damaged in the process* and as long as the original cooler was put back in place prior to shipping.

So that means if you have a problem with a card right out of the box and replace the cooler in an attempt to fix the card but the problem persists and you ship the card back (with original cooler back in place) it will get replaced even if the distributor notices that the cooler had been replaced, should it be noticeable (such as finding AS5 instead of stock heat compound). However if your card had no problems originally but didn't work after you replaced the cooler it usually means you caused physical damage and it will get noticed, and you kiss the warranty goodbye.

A few vendors already specifically cover user upgrades (such as cooler replacement) in their warranty and many others tolerate it because when it's done properly chances are the card will have less heat related issues, therefore less RMA requests. This is especially valid for the few high-end cards that have crappy stock coolers, such as the 7900 GT.

MadKent
05-21-06, 08:16 PM
Guys. There is already a 7900 thread above, please keep it to one thread. ;)

You mean the one(s) about the "freezes" ? Something funny I have noticed is that many people seem to be confusing 7900 GT "freezing" issues with the fact that the card sometimes fails the "Deep Freeze" test on 3DMark06. For those interested the "Deep Freeze" test has nothing to do with "freezing" issues, it's just a video sequence featuring an Antarctic scene on an obviously frigid day lol

snowmanwithahat
05-21-06, 10:49 PM
I know XFX has become a popular brand lately, but I've always seen them in the past as being kind of a cheapy solution.

same... back when i bought my 5700 ultra, i completely overlooked Xfx, mainly because i didn't trust them, it was $10 cheaper, but i really wanted to go with e-vga because of their reputation, even then it turned out to be a great choice, nothing wrong, annoying fan, but not their fault.... then again i've gone through an albatron, pny, and evga card, and they all were satisfactory, they all use the reference design and basically the ONLY thing that can set a card apart from the others is it's cooler, well that's how it was back then, now they have superclocked versions and what not, but there really isn't a huge difference between any manufacturer of cards when you're dealing with their "stock" models

Crucible
05-22-06, 10:42 PM
Well, I just find it so funny that almost every 7900 GT dead thread I read involves overclocking or changing the fan/heatsink. I just don't want people to spread around BS that certain cards don't work when they are probably just fine and damage was due to misuse. I have a thing against non truths. Maybe it is obsessive compulsive, I don't know. Whenever I see something that is not true and is being spread around as gospel, it pisses me off. This same kind of crap would happen to people all the time on any card in the past when they overclocked or modded.

john19055
05-23-06, 02:56 AM
IMO if I was guessing I would say over 50% of the bad 7900GT are cause from people doing the volt-mod ,which is very simple but if you get that conducted ink where it is not supose to be at you can easily short out a card ,and the pencil memory mod is another dangerous mod IMO it is more dangerous then the core volt-mod IMO if you do not have a ohm-volt meter and besides that ,the dust off of a pencil can get in a componet and screw you up.

SigmaOrionis
05-23-06, 05:09 AM
I've been running a XFX 7900GT SLI setup since they first came out. I havent had a single problem.

Of course I havent overclocked them or modded them in anyway.

takovr
05-23-06, 06:15 AM
Well xfx is sending me a replacment card, they said the one I had was defective. Like I said in my first post I have never had any problems with any
other video cards that I have used in my computers. I guess this one came from a bad batch or something.

john19055
05-23-06, 03:02 PM
I bought two 7900GT KO and one of them made it to windows but as soon as I hit the benchmark 3D2006 it just went black ,and it was shorting out to where it threw the breaker in my power supply,so ever so offten you get a dud,but after I got that one replace I have not had any problems with the 7900GT KO running in SLI and my two 7900GTX's are running smooth in SLI,
knock on wood.

AdmiralHalsey..
05-23-06, 10:43 PM
Ok, second one's dead. I'm just gonna get a new processor or something, and leave the 7900gt series far, far behind me[ well, as far as I can with one still in my system, plotting its own death]. Conroe, show yourself!!!