PDA

View Full Version : LMAO PS3 "too cheap"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Zelda_fan
05-13-06, 10:49 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706133p1.html

It's probably too cheap.

Sony is a bunch of numskulls. ROFLMAO!!!

GamerGuyX
05-13-06, 11:06 PM
For a console it's expensive as hell.

For a Blu-Ray player it is in fact, too cheap.

oldsk00l
05-13-06, 11:27 PM
it's ridiculous when the prospect of xbox 360 being upgradeable to an hd-dvd drive

So long as no hd-dvd games ship, I'll probably snap one up and enjoy my hd-movies on it.

Blu-ray is going to suck ass anyway. The movies will be too expensive, and the PS3 isn't going to have anything compelling to offer over 360.

I really have to wonder if Sony has just gone off the deep end. With what they tried to pull with UMD's, and the lackluster PSP library (Syphon Filter withstanding)....does Sony want to get out of the business? By all indications this looks like purposed incompetence.

ENU291
05-13-06, 11:51 PM
I really think that Sony made a mistake by integrating a Blu Ray player into the PS3. Without Blu Ray the PS3's price would be much lower ($249-$299). At the lower price the PS3 would fly off shelves and solidify Sony's place as the number one game console maker. They should make the Blu Ray drive an optional add on so that when HD movies become more popular PS3 owners have an easy and in-expensive upgrade path. At $600 Sony as effectively alienated a good portion of the average gaming population. There are way more average gamers then there are hardcore gamers. Nintendo seems to know this and focused all their efforts to target the average gamer. In one year we will all see who’s strategy was the right one.

Zelda_fan
05-13-06, 11:57 PM
Not to mention that Sony will be the LAST one to the market. If people are having fun with thier WiiWii's and XBOX's, who's gonna buy a PS3? Sure there will be some people, but I seriously doubt they'll get over 15 million units sold.

kev13dd
05-14-06, 12:14 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060513133719562032&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

Tell me that's not true

K

Zelda_fan
05-14-06, 12:25 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060513133719562032&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

Tell me that's not true

K

so wait, Sony bashes MS for their two SKUs, then they pull the same crap, only their low-end SKU is even more worthless (becasue you can't upgrade it). AND they charge more money for it. What in the hell is sony doing.

Nv40
05-14-06, 12:35 AM
and i disagree...
One of the major hardware selling points of the PS3 is its BLuray player. instead of paying $1K+ for getting one ,you will get it essentially for free in the PS3. DVD is yesterday technology ,a next generation console that will have a usefull lifetimeat least 6 -7 years..should have no less that a HD-DVD player out of the box. for movies and for games.and the PS3 is the only console that will handle true HD-DVD movies and games at 1080p. Dont make the mistake that the first few titles for the PS3 at launch with 1080p support is representative of what you will see a couple of years later.

If you are looking for good prices.. get a PS2 .for only $129 you can buy one wich SONy already stated that will continue supporting until at least it have 10years. for more modern graphics get the Nintendo Wii console. Because i see no big diference in price between the Xbox360 with HD and the PS3 .The people that can drop money to buy a $400 MS console its the same people that can also pay $500 for a PS3. Most of the FIrst round titles will not take advantage of the superior PS3 technology .. (same like first Ps2 round titles didnt shipped in DVD but in standar CD format) but after a while ,in the next few years .. we will see more and more unltra HIGH definition games ,with extra game content.(same way that now PS2 games ships with 2-3 DVD's of game content) Which will give a *Significant advantage* in sales againts others consoles using previous generation technology.

Delivering A true HD-DVD in every console ,plus a HArdisk as standar (this latest one was a very popular feature in the xbox1).. was no less that Brilliant!!!. in the near future this migh not make an impact ,but in just a couple of years this feature alone can be the diference between winning the console war or not. (even if all other things were equal) Im really sorry for MIcrosoft Fan boys but honestly i dont see how MIcrosoft will ever compete with Sony without having so significant advantage. The only chance MS have *to compete with SOny * is to cross their fingers and pray that BLuray doesnt wins the format war and price very agressively theirconsole. otherwise it will get very ugly for MS to sell their console if the people get the perception (an rightly justified) that their console is a full generation behind.

kev13dd
05-14-06, 12:36 AM
so wait, Sony bashes MS for their two SKUs, then they pull the same crap, only their low-end SKU is even more worthless (becasue you can't upgrade it). AND they charge more money for it. What in the hell is sony doing.
In all fairness, there have been interviews with Sony where the guy says the lower end CAN upgrade the harddrive

The only thing I'm curious about in the article is the wired controllers thing

K

Ninja Prime
05-14-06, 12:54 AM
and i disagree...
Blah blah fanboy spew ect...

At least get the numbers right before you go on such a fanboy spiel. :rolleyes2

superklye
05-14-06, 01:05 AM
I really think that Sony made a mistake by integrating a Blu Ray player into the PS3. Without Blu Ray the PS3's price would be much lower ($249-$299). At the lower price the PS3 would fly off shelves and solidify Sony's place as the number one game console maker. They should make the Blu Ray drive an optional add on so that when HD movies become more popular PS3 owners have an easy and in-expensive upgrade path. At $600 Sony as effectively alienated a good portion of the average gaming population. There are way more average gamers then there are hardcore gamers. Nintendo seems to know this and focused all their efforts to target the average gamer. In one year we will all see who’s strategy was the right one.
yeah, but sony wants to win the next format war and without a blu-ray drive on the PS3 FORCING production of Blu-Rays, they'd lose yet again and would go likely go bankrupt after all the R&D they've put into Blu-Ray.

Nv40
05-14-06, 01:16 AM
At least get the numbers right before you go on such a fanboy spiel. :rolleyes2

Well.. dont take me wrong.. Im just being honest with my views. i will be worried if my favorites games where only for xbox360 .and SOny launch a console with all the features they are advertising. Microsoft will be very fool to underestimate the marketing advantage the words "HD-DVD inside" will have in the average consumers. In the place i work ,people dont know what "HDTV" means ,but still they ask me for those features when buying a new computer or a Plasma TV ,people love to have cutting edge technology even if they dont know for what is good for. . Lol!! :D Microsoft will have much better luck releasing a new sku with just 1 processor and a nice Toshiba HDDVD player included for the same price. people arent good remembering numbers ,but they never forget cool names. Bluetooh anyone ? Lol! :D

msxyz
05-14-06, 03:06 AM
Anyone read the first impressions about HD-DVD and Bluray movies shown to a selected audience (mostly cinephiles and people who work for magazines ) ? It seems that the first wave of titles are just lame re-encoding of whatever masters they had atm. Most don't use any advanced codec either but the plain old MPEG-2.

Newer movies are stored digitally (for being preserved and distributed to theaters) in 2048x1536 without lossy compression and converting them to an HD stream should be quite a straightforward process. But there is a ton of material shot in 35mm or other odd film format that needs some care and cleaning before being ported.

Even on DVD it's easy to spot stains and scratchparticulary if studios chose to go the cheap route using single layer discs whenever possible or by using less than perfect sources. That's why it makes little sense to go HD now.

Edge
05-14-06, 03:16 AM
and the PS3 is the only console that will handle true HD-DVD movies and games at 1080p.

Not really, since games that support 1080p will be in the extreme minority. Especially with more games that stress the GPU farther and farther, no way a 7800-equivalent GPU is going to be able to handle that resolution in games a year or so down the road.

npras42
05-14-06, 05:32 AM

Tell me that's not true

K

I don't think that article is correct. AFAIK there is Bluetooth in the core SKU but not Wi-Fi (802.11b/g). So the wireless controllers will still work but not wireless internet.

I really don't think this is such a big deal. Losing HDMI is a big deal as this will have a major impact on Blu-Ray movies. But the games should all still work in full 720p/1080i or even 1080p if any games support it. You don't need HDMI for that.

I don't uderstand the reason behing losing the card reader. Surely thats only like a $5 piece of equipment. Shows they are really cutting some corners.

You know what though? I thought Sony @ E3'06 was a big disappointment and the price of the console is totally over-priced, but I still want one at launch. I'm still not impressed by my X360 enough. Other than Oblivion (which I am not even such a big fan of) there are no AAA titles. Everything is just on the better side of average.

I'm a gamer though, so maybe I will be in the minority and PS3 won't be the great success, but considering I really don't know many other non-serious-gamers that have even taken a look at X360 and are waiting for PS3, I think the thing will still sellout at launch. It will be in the following months that I think we'll see a slow down in sales.

OWA
05-14-06, 06:23 AM
For a Blu-Ray player it is in fact, too cheap.
Yeah, it seems that is the approach they're taking.

At one point, they were hyping that it was going to be a media center type device possibly trying to take on PCs (maybe replacing media center PCs). Is that still in their plans or has all of that been dropped?

Mr. Hunt
05-14-06, 08:42 AM
Not to mention that Sony will be the LAST one to the market. If people are having fun with thier WiiWii's and XBOX's, who's gonna buy a PS3? Sure there will be some people, but I seriously doubt they'll get over 15 million units sold.

When did Nintendo give a launch date for the "Wii"? Last I heard that dorky looking bastard said something along the lines of "Wii will be in your homes quarter four of 2006"... never said WHEN :\.

Zelda_fan
05-14-06, 09:22 AM
and i disagree...
One of the major hardware selling points of the PS3 is its BLuray player. instead of paying $1K+ for getting one ,you will get it essentially for free in the PS3. DVD is yesterday technology ,a next generation console that will have a usefull lifetimeat least 6 -7 years..should have no less that a HD-DVD player out of the box. for movies and for games.and the PS3 is the only console that will handle true HD-DVD movies and games at 1080p. Dont make the mistake that the first few titles for the PS3 at launch with 1080p support is representative of what you will see a couple of years later.

If you are looking for good prices.. get a PS2 .for only $129 you can buy one wich SONy already stated that will continue supporting until at least it have 10years. for more modern graphics get the Nintendo Wii console. Because i see no big diference in price between the Xbox360 with HD and the PS3 .The people that can drop money to buy a $400 MS console its the same people that can also pay $500 for a PS3. Most of the FIrst round titles will not take advantage of the superior PS3 technology .. (same like first Ps2 round titles didnt shipped in DVD but in standar CD format) but after a while ,in the next few years .. we will see more and more unltra HIGH definition games ,with extra game content.(same way that now PS2 games ships with 2-3 DVD's of game content) Which will give a *Significant advantage* in sales againts others consoles using previous generation technology.

Delivering A true HD-DVD in every console ,plus a HArdisk as standar (this latest one was a very popular feature in the xbox1).. was no less that Brilliant!!!. in the near future this migh not make an impact ,but in just a couple of years this feature alone can be the diference between winning the console war or not. (even if all other things were equal) Im really sorry for MIcrosoft Fan boys but honestly i dont see how MIcrosoft will ever compete with Sony without having so significant advantage. The only chance MS have *to compete with SOny * is to cross their fingers and pray that BLuray doesnt wins the format war and price very agressively theirconsole. otherwise it will get very ugly for MS to sell their console if the people get the perception (an rightly justified) that their console is a full generation behind.

NV40 just admit you are a PS3 fanboi. I admit I'm a Nintendo fanboy, so it is only fair that you should come out as well.

ENU291
05-14-06, 11:19 AM
yeah, but sony wants to win the next format war and without a blu-ray drive on the PS3 FORCING production of Blu-Rays, they'd lose yet again and would go likely go bankrupt after all the R&D they've put into Blu-Ray.
You just explained the entire problem with the PS3. Sony is basically forcing gamers interested in playing very popular video game titles (The Final Fantasy series, Metal Gear etc) to pay for a Blu-Ray drive that in reality they have very little interest in. The argument that Sony presents is "When compared to a retail Blu-Ray DVD video player the Playstation 3 is too cheap!". The problem I have with that is that the amount of people interested in buying a high definition video player now at $1000, $600 or even $300 is extremely small. Take a look at the amount of media available for these players. The time is not right for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Sony is making you pay through the nose to be an early adopter of new technology. I for one will not do it. I never purchased a VCR or a DVD player when they were first released. Why should it be different for Blu-Ray?

slick
05-14-06, 11:21 AM
Moreover, what percentage of the population of people using the PS3 will have a TV that can take advantage of Blu-Ray and HDMI? I'd give it in the 1% range.

Like I said, Sony should have stuck with DVD and made themselves more competitive with Microsoft.

aAv7
05-14-06, 11:39 AM
Blu Ray and all that bullsh*t aside. I'm still trying to figure out how the system is more powerful than a 360? 360 has an ati card with 48 pipes with a unified shader....ps3 basically has a souped up 7800 gtx 256MB.....how is that more powerful!? How does that lead to a $600 dollar price tag!? Blu Ray is THAT expensive? If it is, then why the f*ck include it in the first place. Why not do what ms did and leave it open for an add-on later for those who choose to pay the money.

I dunno, i'm all about wii/360/pc at this point, ps3 may be the one thing I dont own. See what happens on the gaming front a year after its out and ill decide.

Mr_LoL
05-14-06, 01:32 PM
I shall be buying a ps3 when it comes out and I see Sony winning this round of console wars by quite a healthy margin. I think its good Sony is bundling blu ray drives with the ps3 because when it becomes more mass market, you will not want to start feeling left out and having to purchase add-ons.
Blu-ray and ps3 ftw!!!!!!!

gmontem
05-14-06, 01:47 PM
Anyone read the first impressions about HD-DVD and Bluray movies shown to a selected audience (mostly cinephiles and people who work for magazines ) ? It seems that the first wave of titles are just lame re-encoding of whatever masters they had atm. Most don't use any advanced codec either but the plain old MPEG-2.

All the HD-DVD titles currently available in the US have been encoded with VC-1 from D5 masters.

Marvel_us
05-14-06, 01:48 PM
Blu Ray and all that bullsh*t aside. I'm still trying to figure out how the system is more powerful than a 360? 360 has an ati card with 48 pipes with a unified shader....ps3 basically has a souped up 7800 gtx 256MB.....how is that more powerful!? How does that lead to a $600 dollar price tag!? Blu Ray is THAT expensive? If it is, then why the f*ck include it in the first place. Why not do what ms did and leave it open for an add-on later for those who choose to pay the money.

I dunno, i'm all about wii/360/pc at this point, ps3 may be the one thing I dont own. See what happens on the gaming front a year after its out and ill decide.

Where have you been!? It's already been said by numerous devs that PS3 is the "more powerful" system. John Carmack even said it at this E3 on G4. However, it isn't about being the most powerful specs wise, it's about devs being able to harness that theoretical power and putting it on screen. When it all comes down to it, PS3 has a slight edge over the 360 but it probably won't be that big of a difference between the two.

Ninja Prime
05-14-06, 02:04 PM
Where have you been!? It's already been said by numerous devs that PS3 is the "more powerful" system. John Carmack even said it at this E3 on G4. However, it isn't about being the most powerful specs wise, it's about devs being able to harness that theoretical power and putting it on screen. When it all comes down to it, PS3 has a slight edge over the 360 but it probably won't be that big of a difference between the two.

Everything I've read from devs tells me they will look virtually identical. Even the specs tell as much.