PDA

View Full Version : Shadowgrounds

superklye
05-14-06, 12:09 AM
Anyone else try this game out? I got the demo after seeing the awesome screenshots and it's a lot of fun. I've got some gripes, namely the lack of a mouse-sensitivity adjustment, no saves (lame checkpoints), and not being able to horde medkits for later use...but otherwise, I REALLY like it and it's got the best fire effect I've ever seen in a game.

CaptNKILL
05-14-06, 12:22 AM
Thats really weird, I just saw this on Steam and I was thinking about how Id like to play a demo. Is it on their site or something? I figured it would have been right on steam if there was one.

EDIT: Duh... there it is... right on steam... :retard:

superklye
05-14-06, 09:24 AM
Hahaha yeah...the demo is right in there. It's a lot of fun...it gets insanely hard, but I stilll like it. Some kind of armor would've been key, too, but ah well.

LurkerLito
05-14-06, 09:51 AM
Yeah I liked the game and bought it after the demo came out. It wasn't too hard though (didn't try the hardest skill level though). The only thing I didn't like was the no save thing. Mainly because by the end it takes a while to clear a level and if you don't have that time you can't save your progress and have to start at the beginning when you start the game next time. Other than that it was worth the money.

superklye
05-14-06, 09:56 AM
I kinda wish I would've bought it when it was 20% off a few days ago because I'd much rather pay only $20 for it, but meh. I think it's worth it. Apparently there are going to be mods and a level editor available this month? That's kinda cool...I think I'll wait a little bit longer and see what mods do in fact come out.

I also really like the weapons upgrades idea.

CaptNKILL
05-14-06, 01:06 PM
I messed around with the demo a little last night. The graphics are really impressive IMO.

I love the real time shadows, it looks like Doom 3 or FEAR.

Gameplay seems pretty fun, but I dont know about the save points deal. If there are save points there should be a lot of them. If theres only one per level, that sucks ass.

I'll get into the demo a little more today. But I agree with you kyle, Im going to wait it out to see how things turn out with it before I plunk down my $25.

LurkerLito
05-14-06, 02:01 PM
Technically there is only 1 save point the beginning of the level. There are respawn points in certain spots that if you die and have respawns left you wake up there. But if you want to say go and eat dinner or do something else, you can't exit the game because you'll have to start over from the beginning of the level.

CaptNKILL
05-14-06, 03:15 PM
Well I just went through the whole demo without dieing. I had it on easy and some parts are still pretty tough.

Seems like a fun game. I dont know how long it could possibly be though. The levels are really detailed, theres a decent amount of dialog (for a budget title)... something tells me the demo was probably a third of the whole game.

Does anyone know how long it actually is?

superklye
05-14-06, 04:07 PM
Well, the demo says upon exit that there's 11 levels i think? Plus the upcoming level editor and the mods and whatnot, so there's a lot of value-added stuff right there.

And I, too, LOVE the lighting system. That Flashlight is SO badass and I love how it doesn't just turn off when it dies, it gradually gets dimmer and dimmer until it's almost not even on, just like a real flashlight.

And the fire effects are so awesome!

I still wish there was a way to save and I wish you could get more respawns or whatever. I was just playing around last night and I kept dying. So when I finally got a game over, I was like, what is this, 1992?

superklye
05-14-06, 04:14 PM
And I just saw on their site that you can use a gamepad with the game...maybe I'll actually have a use for that $15 dust-collecting paperweight after all...

LurkerLito
05-14-06, 04:28 PM
It definately doesn't feel that long, and I am trying to go through it again on very hard, but there doesn't seem to be that much difference, but only played the first 2 levels so it'll probably ramp up again later. The only time it felt kind of boring was when I had 3 crash to desktop happen at various spots about 1/2 through a long level and I had to start from the beginning again and again. For $20 I think it was well worth the money to buy, but at $24 I might be on the fence right now because there doesn't seem to be much replay value based on the first 2 levels.

superklye
05-14-06, 05:02 PM
Yeah, it'd be one thing if like, you could only have three weapons and each weapon had 10 options for upgrade, but you could only choose 5 or something...that would add a lot of replayability, I think.

As well as different character classes and such.

mullet
05-15-06, 10:18 AM
I thought it was pretty cool, I liked the flashlite and the effects.

BioHazZarD
05-16-06, 09:02 AM
too bad u cant save.. can be tought to times and like GRAW having to play over and over again and if u wanna quit not be able to save sucks.

Morrow
05-16-06, 12:24 PM
I'm almost through the game now. I really like it so far. Great fights with tons of enemies, well-done weapons and moody graphics and music. I don't have any problem with the missing savegame features because I didn't find it too hard to pass a level with the 5 lives you get for each new map. The difficulty level seems just to be right.

Nice little game.

jolle
05-16-06, 03:18 PM
I read somewhere the Alien Swarm team was involved in this..
It certainly looks like Alien Swarm, but then again they have Alien Swarm Infested coming to Steam, Source powered, so whats this about?
Does it have Coop like AS does? one of the best coop experiences out there..

superklye
05-16-06, 07:03 PM
It's apparently got co-op for up to four people on the same machine which is kinda lame...

CaptNKILL
05-16-06, 07:16 PM
Deffinitely needs LAN or internet Co-Op. The PC is perfectly capable of CO-OP on one machine but this game was obviously meant for a mouse and keyboard, and most people dont have setups that can fit 2 people comfortably in front of their system, let alone 4, and deffinitely not all using mice.

jolle
05-17-06, 06:55 AM
Yeah I saw that on their webpage, no online MP.. thats odd..
Anyhow, Alien Swarm Infested should take of that.
As I understand it, it will be free for HL2 owners, and also be available as a standalone (prolly 19.90 USD) for everyone else, on Steam.

Morrow
05-18-06, 05:36 AM
Yeah I saw that on their webpage, no online MP.. thats odd..
Anyhow, Alien Swarm Infested should take of that.
As I understand it, it will be free for HL2 owners, and also be available as a standalone (prolly 19.90 USD) for everyone else, on Steam.

Correct but the standalone version will include many more features, maps and other goodies.

SavagePaladin
05-22-06, 08:19 AM
I plan to snag this eventually, don't have spare cash right now.

From what I read Alien Swarm is better for multiplayer, and Shadowgrounds is better for SP.