PDA

View Full Version : Any news on the 300$ OCZ's Cryo-Z Phase Change ?

KoRnfR3ak
05-14-06, 02:58 PM
When will it be available?
Is it available now? Where?
When I google I only find January results, refering to CeBit 2006 or CES 2006. They say the unit would be available in 3 months. 4 months have passed. We're already in May now.

Please, I really would apreciate if someone could share some updates on this matter (release date), because this month I am about to spend 350$ on Thermaltake Symphony Stylish Home Theater Liguid Cooling System (CL-W0040 ).

This would be my first purchase of a cooling solution other then the cpu stock fan. Never used water cooling before (but wanting to for a year now). Never used phase-change. Don't mind skipping WaterCooling, and start with phase-change. I want to overclock my cpu to "at least" 3,0Ghz.

You can imagine what a waste of money would be for me to spend 350$ for water-cooling that gives me 40c on load, and then 2 or 3 weeks later, a phase change system is released, that gives (-10c) on load, for the same price. :(

Tygerwoody
05-15-06, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't use a phase change system that only costs $300, but thats just me.

KoRnfR3ak
05-15-06, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't use a phase change system that only costs $300, but thats just me.

You mean that It's not safe.
To sell it for only 300$, OCZ must have cut down same safety measures.
You predict a badly insulated phase-change product, with poor protection from moisture, because it's cheap.
U got a point there.
Perhaps the other Phase-Change systems costs $1000 to $2000 not because they cool better, but also because they are safer.

einstein_314
05-15-06, 07:37 PM
You mean that It's not safe.
To sell it for only 300$, OCZ must have cut down same safety measures.
You predict a badly insulated phase-change product, with poor protection from moisture, because it's cheap.
U got a point there.
Perhaps the other Phase-Change systems costs $1000 to $2000 not because they cool better, but also because they are safer.
I don't think that they would make a product that is unsafe and sell it to the general public...that's asking for trouble. I think that they are just using cheaper components that aren't as effective. ie. it won't cool as well as a better made phase change system.

I mean all it really is is a refrigeration unit. Which consists of a compressor, an evaporator (the head that attaches to the cpu), a condenser, and a fancy valve. And then some tubing in between all the parts...

KoRnfR3ak
05-16-06, 07:41 AM
I don't think that they would make a product that is unsafe and sell it to the general public...that's asking for trouble. I think that they are just using cheaper components that aren't as effective. ie. it won't cool as well as a better made phase change system.

I mean all it really is is a refrigeration unit. Which consists of a compressor, an evaporator (the head that attaches to the cpu), a condenser, and a fancy valve. And then some tubing in between all the parts...

Ok. So you say it is safe to use, but because OCZ is just using cheaper components that aren't as effective, it won't cool as well as a better made 1500$ phase change systems. True.

But, even if the Cryo-Z only puts the cpu at (+20c) on load, even so, it will most surely be colder than what a 300$ water colling system can acomplish, right? Even the russian Promodz Cooled Silence @ xbitlabs.com was
only putting 200W of heat generated @ 42C.

So if it's safe, and more cooling efective than a 350$ water colling system, for the same price, why does Tygerwoody wouldn't use it?

KoRnfR3ak
09-27-06, 03:48 AM
http://hardwaresecrets.com/article/377
:naughty:

EDIT: errr... This article sucks. :( All they say is "by the end of October". No Price.