PDA

View Full Version : 7900GTX overheat problem!

yannis76
05-14-06, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I just bought a Club3D 7900GTX. Since I also have a Zalman NB47J chipset cooler, I couldn't use the stock cooler, so I bought a Zalman vf900 VGA cooler. After excessive testing and gaming I noticed that the card's memory overheats. The first symptom was artifacts in Quake4 after about 30 minutes of gaming. Same with 3dmark06 but in much less time, about 5 to 10 minutes. I also noticed that the problem happens mostly when AA is enabled. Then I lowered the memory clock to 200MHz and everything was fine in 3dmark. What I can guess is that the ram sinks didn't glue very well with the Zalman thermal pads. I am about to buy some Arctic Silver adhesive and glue them again. Do you have any other ideas? Should I just drop the vf900 and test the Accelero x1? Would this fit to my mobo (A8N-E) and the Zalman NB47?

Thank you in advance
Yannis

shabby
05-14-06, 05:13 PM
Ditch the chipset cooler and put the stock gtx cooler on, the vf900 is a wimpy cooler.
The x1 should work just fine, also check out the thermalright v-1 ultra.

yannis76
05-15-06, 08:04 AM
Ditch the chipset cooler and put the stock gtx cooler on, the vf900 is a wimpy cooler.
The x1 should work just fine, also check out the thermalright v-1 ultra.

I cant do that. In order to get the cooler off I have to uninstall the whole mobo.

yannis76
05-15-06, 01:17 PM
I tried the as adhesive diluted with some as5. nothing got better! I tried 3dmark06 again with 4aa/16af and the test crashed big time with terrible artifacts. so I decided to put back the original stock cooler and try all over again. unfortunatelly the problems persisted. I called the store and I will return the card tomorrow. now I am again in the same dilemma x1900xt vs 7900gtx, although I have some fear of the last...

LBJM
05-16-06, 03:48 AM
you might want to consider water cooling your next video card temps would be much better plus you can water cool your cpu.

J-Mag
05-16-06, 12:01 PM
I cant do that. In order to get the cooler off I have to uninstall the whole mobo.

Can't and don't want to are two different things... I mean really how much more effort does it take to remove your mobo? The only time I really hate doing that is when I have my waterloop all rigged up.

john19055
05-17-06, 03:40 AM
Do not put Arctic Silver adhesive on your ram sinks or you will never be able to get them off ,and useally if you try, you end up pulling off a memory chip. Why could'nt you use the stock cooler it is a great cooler unless it is to big to fit your location,I would just get some good 3M adhesive thermal pads and use some 91% alcohol to clean the memory real good and put them on again,I like the Zalman VF 900-Cu cooler but I did not like the heatsinks that comes with them ,they look cheap ,I bought me some better heavier duty copper ones with some good 3m thermal heatpads.Does your case have good air flow ,I mean the memory does'nt really even need heatsinks ,it useing 1.2ns memory chips and they are rated to 1666 and the 7900Gt does not even have none and it has the memory overclocked on most of them to 1500 and the memory just rated to 1428.plus if you added AS5 to the ram sinks and if any got on the connection ,then it would have shorted them out and you would have artifacts ,You should only use Arctic Silver Ceramique on the ram chips,if you used the Plain Artic Silver 5 then more then likely you damange the ram chips and it would'nt manner if you put the factory cooler back on.

john19055
05-17-06, 03:51 AM
The X1900XT runs quite a bit hotter then the 7900GTX does,ever review I have seen so far the 7900GTX wins in 90% of games ,the only thing that the X1900XT has going for it it can run FSAA and HDR at the same time,but the X1900XT uses more power ,runs hotter and fan is louder.The Zalman VF900-Cu is far from whimpy ,when installed correctly it cools better then the stock heatsink when on high, and I can not hear it on high, in my CPU case,but everone is going to have there favorite after market cooler and a lot of them are better then the factory one,but the Coolers on the 7900GTX is some of the best.