PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 copy protection cracked at last!!!

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
05-15-06, 05:09 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31703

it took almost 6 months until a guy nicknamed commodore3eva figured out how to play Xbox 360 backups and he did cracked it, it use DVD-ROM firmware patch as it only work with Samsung DVD-ROM this time and he probably already work on Hitachi firmware patch. According to 2 guys from XboxHacker BBS (http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=33&topic=779.0), backups of Tomb Raider: Legend and GRAW confirmed to be worked fine with Samsung firmware patch, it does not need a modchip. :)

retsam
05-15-06, 05:17 AM
do we have to talk about this here?...i mean this is good for nothing but piracy.

Peoples-Agent
05-15-06, 05:21 AM
That's not actually the case.

It's good in the sense of being able to play your movies in Xvid / DivX format on your 360 off of a regular DVD-R, CD-R.

Plus alot of people choose to back up their disks because kids have habits of scratching the crap out of them, at 50 a pop, that's alot of money to just lose outright.

Has alot of legit uses too.

retsam
05-15-06, 05:39 AM
That's not actually the case.

It's good in the sense of being able to play your movies in Xvid / DivX format on your 360 off of a regular DVD-R, CD-R.

Plus alot of people choose to back up their disks because kids have habits of scratching the crap out of them, at 50 a pop, that's alot of money to just lose outright.

Has alot of legit uses too.get real, for the most part this is about piracy. the majarity of people that i know that hacked there xbox's and ps's used it for piracy, not to back up there games.

nekrosoft13
05-15-06, 06:59 AM
i use my xbox for Xbox Media Center, :D

haven't played a single game on xbox since ... hmm... maybe 2003? or 2002.

any one know if they started to work on X360 Media Center?

Rakeesh
05-15-06, 09:58 AM
get real, for the most part this is about piracy. the majarity of people that i know that hacked there xbox's and ps's used it for piracy, not to back up there games.

XBMC is a pretty kick ass program, and I imagine would be better if ported to the 360 for full HD support.

Ruined
05-15-06, 03:18 PM
One major problem with this sort of "crack" is that it can be easily negated with a Live or retail game firmware update. Meaning that though it may work now, a Live or future retail game will be able to patch the hole quickly as the core system itself was not cracked; so in essence, it likely won't work if you want to play any game released after June '06 or play on XBOX Live in the near future.

nekrosoft13
05-15-06, 03:20 PM
One major problem with this sort of "crack" is that it can be easily negated with a Live or retail game firmware update. Meaning that though it may work now, a Live or future retail game will be able to patch the hole quickly as the core system itself was not cracked; so in essence, it likely won't work if you want to play any game released after June '06 or play on XBOX Live in the near future.

yeah, but its perfect for me, i don't plan on playing games on it, i just want a cheap box that is able to display HD. to bad no XBMC for X360 been relaesed.

GamerGuyX
05-15-06, 04:39 PM
to bad no XBMC for X360 been relaesed.

:rolleyes:

Yeah to bad the 360 can't kind of you know - use Windows Media Center 2005. Oh wait...

nekrosoft13
05-15-06, 04:50 PM
find me a media center 2005 PC the size of xbox, and for 299 bucks thats capable of rendering and outputing HD video

Riptide
05-15-06, 04:57 PM
As long as it's legal to make backup copies of games you legally own then I see nothing wrong with this or the existence of the thread. Just one man's opinion.

That said if you let on that you are really talking about copying for someone else then you may get a verbal bashing. Deservedly. :)

GamerGuyX
05-15-06, 05:22 PM
find me a media center 2005 PC the size of xbox, and for 299 bucks thats capable of rendering and outputing HD video

How about you just stop being a cheap ass?

Rakeesh
05-15-06, 10:32 PM

Well if they did things just right, they could make the firmware changes completely undetectable. Think of the DVD drive as being a separate computer from the xbox itself. It doesn't have to report to the xbox what information is stored on its firmware chip. It could lie and say that it has what is *supposed* to be there instead of what is *really* there, and the xbox itself would be none the wiser.

Because this hack is so high level in the software validation process, it would be much easier to hide from any detection methods that microsoft could send down through xbox live than say a low level firmware (e.g. bios) hack.

But this particular hack wouldn't allow you to run XBMC though. It only runs copies of games that are already signed. Which means that it still only runs backups or pirated games.

What athlonxp1800 posted here is basically just an update to what I posted a few months ago. The Inquirer is way behind the times.

a12ctic
05-15-06, 10:52 PM
How about you just stop being a cheap ass?
not everyone has a lot of money, why dont you stop being such a arrogant piece of ****?

GamerGuyX
05-15-06, 10:56 PM
not everyone has a lot of money, why dont you stop being such a arrogant piece of ****?

Oh so is that why you like Linux so much? Because it's like a cheap rip-off of Windows?

a12ctic
05-15-06, 10:59 PM
Oh so is that why you like Linux so much? Because it's like a cheap rip-off of Windows?
wow, you can insult the operating system i use good job :), last time i looked though my desktop is about 10x as advanced as yours (XGL, check it out). Windows is a cheap rip off of several operating systems gone wrong... anyway, why bring up linux in this situation, your just changing the subject...

GamerGuyX
05-15-06, 11:38 PM
why bring up linux in this situation

That's because we're on the subject of what poor people use.

a12ctic
05-15-06, 11:41 PM
That's because we're on the subject of what poor people use.
poor people are to stupid to use anything other than windows ;)

GamerGuyX
05-15-06, 11:42 PM
poor people are to stupid to use anything other than windows ;)

Yes you have to be a real genius to use Mac OS...

a12ctic
05-15-06, 11:44 PM
Yes you have to be a real genius to use Mac OS...
Arent we talking about linux and windows here? if poor people cant afford windows and have to use linux then they surly cant afford mac :p

GamerGuyX
05-15-06, 11:47 PM
Arent we talking about linux and windows here? if poor people cant afford windows and have to use linux then they surly cant afford mac :p

Your the one that's bitching about not all people having a lot of money. So that's why I said I finally found out why you like linux - because your poor and can't afford anything else.

I just love it when I have to spell things out like that.

Infinity666
05-15-06, 11:51 PM
*crowd chanting* fight fight fight.....

What is the matter with a $300 media center capable of hd? Why the hell would you want to spend more on something that does the exact same thing? Thats not being cheap its being smart.

GamerGuyX
05-15-06, 11:54 PM
What is the matter with a $300 media center capable of hd? Why the hell would you want to spend more on something that does the exact same thing? Thats not being cheap its being smart.

You would not be able to use Xbox Live for one thing. ;)

You could always buy a second Xbox like people did with the original Xbox and XBMC. One for XBMC and one for Xbox Live gaming. Oh wait that would just cost a lot more than just using the 360's built in Media Center extender feature...

Infinity666
05-16-06, 12:03 AM
Except you could use the xbox as a stand-alone w/o the use of a networked computer plus you wouldnt have to deal w/ all of the drm and Microsoft file protection b.s.

a12ctic
05-16-06, 07:11 PM
Your the one that's bitching about not all people having a lot of money. So that's why I said I finally found out why you like linux - because your poor and can't afford anything else.

I just love it when I have to spell things out like that.
im not poor, im a kid...