PDA

View Full Version : Sony's Phil Harrison lies in Gamepro interview

Pages : [1] 2

Ruined
05-15-06, 10:29 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3238

...On Whether the 20-GB PS3 Will Fully Support Blu-Ray
The $599 60 GB PS3 (top) looks different from the $499 20 GB PS3 (bottom)

"That seems to be a misunderstanding and I'm happy to clear that up. Both machines have Blue Ray disc as standard. Both machines play Blue Ray disc movies as standard. Both machines will play Blue Ray disc movies as HD. The only difference is that the high end machine uses a more convenient digital interconnect called HDMI which is a digital standard and the 20 gig unit uses HD component which is an analog standard. The picture quality is fantastic."

"The end user will not notice any quality difference. Perhaps if you were projecting onto a gi-normous screen you might notice some difference, but also not every HD display has HDMI. So we're providing a choice to the consumer."

"Both versions will support 1080p.

Sorry Phil, but that is an outright lie. While users might not be able to tell the difference between Component and HDMI on HD material, when studios begin to enable the Image Constraint Token digital copy protection for Blu-Ray you will only be able to get a measly 960x540 resolution out of component instead of high definition 1920x1080 with HDMI. That is a massive difference - when movie studios start to turn on ICT if you don't have HDMI or DVI w/HDCP you might as well just watch standard DVD because you won't be able to get high definition with Blu-Ray over component. While launch Blu-Ray titles don't have ICT enabled, it likely won't be long before studios start to turn on the digital copy protection flag.

It's really sad that Sony is trying to take advantage of the fact that many game players do not closely follow home theater and might not know that if they buy the $499 PS3 they are essentially locking themselves out from watching Blu-Ray in high definition in the near future. I realize that it is Phil's job to convince people that the $499 PS3 is not crippled as a Blu-Ray player, but in reality it is in a big way! If you want to watch Blu-Ray movies without buying yet another Blu-Ray player once ICT protection is enabled in movies, it is a must that you buy the $599 model.

Bad_Boy
05-15-06, 10:40 AM
evil sony strikes again. :kill:

/me buys 600 dollar model as planned. ;)

Knot3D
05-15-06, 11:47 AM
Rumour has it that only the 60Gb model will be available in the Uk ; news on Eurogamer.net

Lie or no lie, i'll get a PS3 anyway.. and maybe a Wii. Certainly NO Xbox360.

PeterJensen
05-15-06, 12:01 PM
Rumour has it that only the 60Gb model will be available in the Uk ; news on Eurogamer.net

uhhh no x360. Thats ok, one less tard on live.

Mr_LoL
05-15-06, 12:24 PM

If thats true at least it will end confusion about which model to buy. Looks like it will have to be the 60gb model for me.

ArturNOW
05-15-06, 12:27 PM
PS3 is closed hardware and SONY is one of inventors of Blu-Ray. Maybe their can put protection elsewhere or make Blu-Ray disc play with full resolution on Playstation 3 hardware anyway no matter the output, you never know. I'm just curious why didn't Sony put HDMI on PS3 20GB is it that more expensive?

msxyz
05-15-06, 12:34 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3238Sorry Phil, but that is an outright lie. (...).He says some half truth and he's not completely honest, but it's not a lie.

The content protection flag is not mandatory and for the next few years a lot of movies might not adopt it.

The real problem is that many TV sets are limited over the analog inputs. The reason has more to do with costs reduction than any technological limits. A plain old VGA cable has enough bandwidth to allow 1600x1200 @ 85Hz and the signal degradation is tolerable. The coaxial cables used for component HD shuld have an even higher limit but the frontend and the interface of the televisions (the circuitry, so to speak) might not be up to the task.

Many TV sets (even some new models) don't accept any analog stream that's higher than 1080 interlaced. Because that has always been the the standard and the amplifiers and all the rest have been designed for that kind of workload.

So Harrison is not lying, he's just omitting any possible downsides.

Call it deception

slick
05-15-06, 01:56 PM
Call it deception

The one and only way Sony knows how to get customers. :rolleyes:

Knot3D
05-16-06, 12:24 AM
uhhh no x360. Thats ok, one less tard on live.
yeah, real nice to play it personal just because i'm stating a console preference.

BioHazZarD
05-16-06, 12:53 PM
Sony begins to suck more then M$ omg.

nekrosoft13
05-16-06, 02:22 PM
PS3 is closed hardware and SONY is one of inventors of Blu-Ray. Maybe their can put protection elsewhere or make Blu-Ray disc play with full resolution on Playstation 3 hardware anyway no matter the output, you never know. I'm just curious why didn't Sony put HDMI on PS3 20GB is it that more expensive?

no they can't and it won't

component is analog, and you need digital signal to support HDCP

|MaguS|
05-16-06, 03:12 PM
I love when people attack Sony's Blu-Ray playback when MS's solution to nextgen DVD is far worse... I mean if ICT is implemented within these consoles lifetime the X360 will be worse then the PS3s considering that theres atleast one version of teh PS3 that can play Blu-Ray at full resolution while theres NO VERSION of the X360 that will support ICT since it wont have HDMI at all.

As of right now the PS3 Blu-Ray players is fine since no studio will enable ICT until there are a good amount of players and TVs in consumer homes that support it... I dout there will be in 5+ years aswell. Component will allow everyone who has a 1080p suppportive display (PC Monitor or TV) to display any movie or game at 1080p as long as the software supports it.

Untill a single studio announces a date of when they will being supporting ICT, its a stupid discussion considering both the PS3 20GB version and the X360 HD-DVD Player will suffer the same fate once ICT is implemented.

msxyz
05-16-06, 03:16 PM
Technically they could allow even flagged streams to be reproduced on analog. Any licensed vendor with access to the encryption key(s) could do a software player without any restriction.

But I don't think the other members of the Bluray consortium will sit and watch without saying anything. Not even if it's Sony, one of the founding members

Acid Rain
05-16-06, 03:16 PM
I love when people attack Sony's Blu-Ray playback when MS's solution to nextgen DVD is far worse... I mean if ICT is implemented within these consoles lifetime the X360 will be worse then the PS3s considering *snip* I really don't care either way. The thought of buying a console based on it's movie playback capacity makes me laugh.

|MaguS|
05-16-06, 03:17 PM
It doesn't matter, no one will enable ICT on Blu-Ray movies or HD-DVD movies untill the market supports it, it would prove fatal to the media if they did.

msxyz
05-16-06, 03:26 PM
(...)Untill a single studio announces a date of when they will being supporting ICT, its a stupid discussion considering both the PS3 20GB version and the X360 HD-DVD Player will suffer the same fate once ICT is implemented.Apparently an HDMI solution for the Xbox360 is in the works. Don't ask me the details and take this info with a pinch (or truckload ? :lol: ) of salt.

Though it's partially confirmed by an old interview with Todd Holmdahl:

(...) Xbox 360 will support HD component video output, which is compatible with nearly every HD-ready TV on the market today. We’re poised to hit the sweet spot of the HD market at launch and as the market matures, we will provide an HDMI for our customers (...)

msxyz
05-16-06, 04:15 PM
Uhm... apparently Sony has been indeed caught lying... :lol:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-throws-party-for-vaios-fakes-blu-ray-demo/

http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/archive/2006/05/16/11622.aspx

slick
05-16-06, 04:23 PM
ROFL! Ahahahahaha. Sorry, I have to laugh. So Blu-Ray is "the next big thing" eh? Well a regular ol' DVD sure did fool a lot of people! :rofl Sony just did their own psychological study proving it's nothing more than them shoving another format on the market that people "need." :rofl owned: :rofl It's not even a Sony DVD+R! :rofl

ENU291
05-16-06, 04:40 PM
Now THAT'S embarrassing!!!

|MaguS|
05-17-06, 11:45 AM
Wii titles running on a Gamecube? (http://wiinintendo.net/?p=176)

Zelda_fan
05-17-06, 11:51 AM
Wii titles running on a Gamecube? (http://wiinintendo.net/?p=176)

huh? did you mean to post this in a different topic?

|MaguS|
05-17-06, 11:56 AM
Nope, Just showing that all companies hide some truth... especially nintendo claiming to have Wii playable when it was actually a gamecube modified to use the Wii controller.

Zelda_fan
05-17-06, 11:59 AM
Nope, Just showing that all companies hide some truth... especially nintendo claiming to have Wii playable when it was actually a gamecube modified to use the Wii controller.

so.... the games are actually gonna look BETTER since the Wii is more powerful? I don't see how this is a negative. It would be one thing if things were running on a super computer, and the wii was less powerful, but the wii is actually more powerful.

Zelda_fan
05-17-06, 12:00 PM
an another thing, there were actually screenshot of a Wii setting atop a TV with the sensor bar and everything that was 100% playable. I think this article is a bit of a crock.

Nv40
05-17-06, 12:12 PM
Many people here acts like if BLuray was a lie of Sony ,that it never existed and will never exist ,that is simply a marketing gimmick just to steal your money and justify paying more than the xbox360. :)

Few months ago even some xboxfan boys believed the PS3 doesnt existed , and doubted the ability of SOny to release that console after all . using as proof empty cases that SOny used in their demostrations ,now that SOny have demostrated real playable games at E3 ,the focus in the FUD campaing is about whether or not SOny will truly support BLueRAy . I dont know you guys ,but if SOny sacrifice the PS3 price adding something so expensive like blueray out of the box,when standalone HD players will cost $700 and when MICrosoft have no comparable feature in any sku ,you can be sure that SONy will use it and take advantage of it for movie playback and games,like if there were no tomorrow. just give Sony a DAMn break until the console is released before suggesting blueray is a fake or not ,or what kind of impact will have in your games. knowing how much IQ fanatics complain today about a microscopy detail missing here or there , i find it like hipocresy complaining now of superior resolutions and the posibility of higher quality graphics (more than 2xtimes higher resolutiom gaming without upscaling ,of the best that money can buy today ) in your games. even more when knowing the MEGABIG lie of Microsoft about " 4x AA for free" as promised in all games and the "wonders" of its embeded memory.

All this BAshing to SOny and the PS3 is based about fear from xbox fans that the console will indeed be very powerfull as advertised and that will hurt badly the future of their favorite console. no reason to panic ,microsoft already told will continue supporting the xbox360 and will continue in the market , even if it fails again like their previous console. i dont underestand whats the logic in wishing a more advanced technology to fail ,it will be like wishing Intel next gen cpu to fail just to make you feel better about your cpu purchase from a competitors product.