PDA

View Full Version : Tips on hooking my media PC up to my new LCD HD TV

Scaltech
05-15-06, 03:21 PM
Hi guys, I'm just looking for some information on getting this setup working.

I recently bought a new LCD 37" TV with a number of different HD options. Mainly it has a VGA port as well as an HDMI port. Now with this in mind I'm wondering what the best method to use will be to hook it up to a media PC I'm going to be putting together with some older hardware I have lying around.

I'll be using an old geforce 4 4600ti as the video card for the media pc which I know has DVI. As far as I can tell there are DVI to HDMI adapters you can buy that will support the full 1080p I want to take advantage of.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

ynnek
05-15-06, 03:29 PM
Will your old computer even be able to keep up to display 1080p video without dropping frames?

Scaltech
05-15-06, 03:53 PM
Well I'm willing to spend the money on the hardware if required. I know the minimum requirements lie around a 2.6ghz p4 with 384mb of ram.

ynnek
05-15-06, 05:42 PM
Eh, I have feeling you will at least have to up the ram, to 512, else you may get some thrash when you try to record, share, playback, and transcode shows all at once. what are you using for software?

I have a 2.4 celeron with 512 megs running snapstream relatively decently, but its only relativel low rez mpg2, using Snapstream.

I've decided I'm going to do at least 1 gig of ram and dual core on my next HTPC to do HD recording,play back, sharing, and transcoding.... cause the last thing I want to see is skipped frames when I watch tv. My main computer, p4 3.2 and 6800GT AGP uses alot of cpu to just playback that step into liquid video on 1080..

Myabe others that have already done HD HTPC's can chime in on their experience.

The Bigman
05-17-06, 12:22 AM
If your using AGP i would get at least a 6600GT and add more ram. Good media center pc needs a good output source and power to use it.