PDA

View Full Version : 7900GTX sli question

PennyFrog
05-15-06, 06:03 PM
My question really isn't specifically about just 7900GTX cards but any cards that take up two slots. I don't plan on upgrading anything right now, but just curoius about the future when i do upgrade. Anyway, the two PCI-E 16 slots on my mobo are two slots apart, so if a card takes up two slots, would it still be possible to SLI them? or... would there be cooling/heating issues like maybe a lack of air intake?

J-Mag
05-15-06, 06:14 PM
My question really isn't specifically about just 7900GTX cards but any cards that take up two slots. I don't plan on upgrading anything right now, but just curoius about the future when i do upgrade. Anyway, the two PCI-E 16 slots on my mobo are two slots apart, so if a card takes up two slots, would it still be possible to SLI them? or... would there be cooling/heating issues like maybe a lack of air intake?

I have got two 7900gtx's in SLI on the DFI SLI-DR. I use a 92mm fan directly to the left of end of the GPU1 (it would be directly to the right in most cases, but I have an inverted style lian li). Anyway that fun pulls air away from the GPU and NB area. Usually this nets me a 65-68C load temp on GPU1. I have seen my NB hit mid 60c too!

Normally I watercool them just ot be safe, but I borked an O-ring on one of my blocks so I a awaiting a replacement.

Neophyte
05-15-06, 06:16 PM
My question really isn't specifically about just 7900GTX cards but any cards that take up two slots. I don't plan on upgrading anything right now, but just curoius about the future when i do upgrade. Anyway, the two PCI-E 16 slots on my mobo are two slots apart, so if a card takes up two slots, would it still be possible to SLI them? or... would there be cooling/heating issues like maybe a lack of air intake? Depends on your mainboard (duh) some mainboards have the slot's right next to each.. others are more sepperated... the more sepperated pci-e slot's are better for cooling... those who are close to each depends on the air intake you have in your pc....

Hmmm dumb question really...

The people who engeneer those kind of stuff expect from you that you have cash and buy a nice (AMD certified casing in terms of airflow) and deal with it.

PennyFrog
05-15-06, 06:48 PM
Kind of a condescending and arrogant response. Time to grow up maybe?

Acid Rain
05-15-06, 07:34 PM
Hmmm dumb question really...There's no such thing. Dumb people maybe, but...

Good question, Pennyfrog, however, any decent SLI mb will accommodate these high end cards just fine. In the average case, the top card gets hotter, but stays within spec. Then again, there's always liquid cooling...

SH64
05-15-06, 07:37 PM
For dual-slot cards & tight PCI-E mobo slots i'd be concerned about heating.
for cards with a side intake it might be ok (like 6800U) , but with the 7900GTX's cooling i wouldnt do it unless i have a mobo with enough space between the PCI-E slots.
actually thats why i replaced my older DFI SLI-D with the Venus.

verboten
05-16-06, 05:10 PM
FYI, My system with 2x7900gtx and a x-fi card between the two is not effecting my card temps by much at all. Maybe 2-3c more tops. The 7900's run a lot cooler than my old 7800's.