PDA

View Full Version : Is XFX brand just as good as Evga

john19055
05-15-06, 05:30 PM
I going to get a set of 7900GTX or a crossfire set just wondering is crossfire any better then a SLI setup ,I know this is a nvidia site ,so don't be bias,and does anyone know what speed is the ram on a XFX 665/1630 I know evga's is 1.2ns

SnilloC
05-15-06, 05:41 PM
No! Better support with evga make all the difference in the world when you purchase a 7900GTX....

Stevedroid
05-15-06, 08:13 PM
I going to get a set of 7900GTX or a crossfire set just wondering is crossfire any better then a SLI setup ,I know this is a nvidia site ,so don't be bias,and does anyone know what speed is the ram on a XFX 665/1630 I know evga's is 1.2ns
So wait are you asking about Crossfire vs SLI or XFX vs EVGA? Don't start off by asking a completely different question than your topic darnit! :)

Anyway, generally speaking most peope regard SLI as a better two card solution than Crossfire. This does not mean that nVidia cards are better than ATI cards or vice versa, just in terms of a two card setup SLI is typically better than Crossfire.

There are tons of contributing factors, but the main one is that, generally speaking, SLI will result in a higher performance increase relative to one card than Crossfire. Doesn't mean it's the fastest of course. Two ATI X1900XTXs running Crossfire is the performance king right now, it's just that the increase you get from that over a single X1900XTX in most cases isn't as big as the increase you get from two 7900GTXs versus one 7900GTX. Again this doesn't mean that you should go with two 7900GTXs if you want the best the performance, I'm just talking about the merits of the dual card solution.

superklye
05-15-06, 08:30 PM
SLI is a much more mature solution and wouldn't require you getting another motherboard to use it. I say stick with nVIDIA for the time being until ATi really gets their act together and gets better drivers/performance/mobo chipsets.

john19055
05-17-06, 02:20 AM
Ever review I have looked at shows the 7900GTX SLI wins in 90% of the games ,I was just going to go with a 512mb card and it was going to be about $100 difference in price to go with a X1900XT crossfire system ,since I am not a fan boy of either brand ,I just wanted the best solution ,but the 1900XT runs hotter and uses more power and the crossFire stills has more bugs in it then the SLI way.the only thing that X1900XT had going for it was that you can use FSAA and HDR.But in the end to me the 7900GTX just came out on top ,so a 7900GTX SLI should run all my games smooth.

Xasz
05-18-06, 06:08 PM
SLI is a much more mature solution and wouldn't require you getting another motherboard to use it.
If you don't have an SLI-capable motherboard, then yes, you would need to get a new motherboard to use it. Same with Crossfire, so I don't see your point there. :P

Acid Rain
05-18-06, 07:39 PM
If you don't have an SLI-capable motherboard, then yes, you would need to get a new motherboard to use it. Same with Crossfire, so I don't see your point there. :PHe was responding to John, and John already has an adequate board for SLI. Kyle made a couple of decent points, actually.

As for who makes the best equipment right now, I'd say that, once again, the companies are pretty close overall, based on reviews. ATi's biggest advantage appears to be in 3Dmark, which they spend a lot of energy optimizing their drivers for. Since I don't play a whole lot of 3Dmark, I'd have to say the victory here is a null and void.

From a heat and power consumption standpoint, NV is dominating heavily, which does help sway me toward their goods.

superklye
05-18-06, 08:41 PM
If you don't have an SLI-capable motherboard, then yes, you would need to get a new motherboard to use it. Same with Crossfire, so I don't see your point there. :P
Considering he already has an SLI motherboard, it seems like a rather valid point. ;)