PDA

View Full Version : Duke Nukem Forever... 2007?

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
05-15-06, 09:39 PM
http://www.duke4.net/comment.php?comment.news.80

Banko
05-15-06, 09:40 PM
Heh that was me :)

jAkUp
05-15-06, 09:40 PM
haha sweet :D

superklye
05-15-06, 09:53 PM
I don't know why, but I have an incredibly hard time believing it...

:rolleyes2

BioHazZarD
05-16-06, 12:10 AM
maybe december 2007 at very earliest..

einstein_314
05-16-06, 12:21 AM
I think when they say 2007 they mean 2007 years from now, not in the year 2007. :D

jAkUp
05-16-06, 01:22 AM
Or maybe they mean the year 7002 :D

$n][pErMan
05-16-06, 01:31 AM
After all this time.. it better be the best damn game engine and it better be the best damn FPS. Anything less would be a waste of 34830298403248 years of work... lol

msxyz
05-16-06, 03:03 AM
Yes, I hope it will be worth the wait.

Duke Nukem 3D was -in many areas- so revolutionary. Not only because its raycasting engine was way ahead of any other similar software but because it was the first shooter with interaction that went beyond killing enemies and opening doors. You could break objects, turn on/off the lights, trigger reactions.

Wolfenstein changed the world forever back in 1992; Duke3D, Half Life and Unreal refined the genre where it is still today. No other shooter is able to touch that trio in term of innovation and fun factor.

nutball
05-16-06, 03:35 AM
It can't be worth the wait, by definition. No FPS is worth ten years of development, the genre is just too shallow.

CaptNKILL
05-16-06, 03:52 AM
It can't be worth the wait, by definition. No FPS is worth ten years of development, the genre is just too shallow.
Sadly I have to agree, though its deffinitely a matter of opinion.

I've been FPSing since the early 90s, and it was about all I did from 1998 to 2003. I havent done as much the past few years though because Its gotten stale. Half-Life 2 was good, and I've played most of the other big name titles but none really did anything for me. The Battlefield series seem to be the only FPS games that I keep going back to when I feel the need to blow something up. Most of my fondest FPS memories are from TFC, Half-Life DM, Quake 2 CTF and DM, some CS, Firearms mod (Half-Life), DoD and Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat. HL2 and Chronicles of Riddick are by far the best single player FPS games of recent years though. Quake 4 would be next. Other than that and Battlefield 2... meh...

Hopefully someone can bring some great gameplay or some amazing new features to first person shooters. It was my favorite genre for a while, its sad thinking that it doesnt really interest me much any more.

I think a big part of it is that the modding community has to do so much more work now than they did with Half-Life or the Quake engine. We miss out on all of the creative ideas and really fantastic stuff that people could be putting out there. Its just too hard and too time consuming to make content these days. Its a shame.

*big edit*

Zeta
05-16-06, 11:09 AM
Did you play FarCry? Best FPS in years IMO.

[EOCF] Tim
05-16-06, 11:27 AM
The CEO (or someone high up) said it's almost finished...lmao...2007 is almost finished? :D

so in 2007, a short delay will mean 2 years again lol

Brimstone7
05-16-06, 11:30 AM
If they really wanted us to believe this they'd at least give us a screenshot or SOMETHING. If they are still at the point where a screenshot does not portray what the finished product will look like then they might as will give up. I want to believe so badly but right now it's the worst case of vaporware ever. I mean, there were even pictures of the Phantom!

jolle
05-16-06, 11:48 AM
Well its prolly been mainly recreating assets..
Get a engine, create content, lounge around until the engine is outdated, get a new one, recreate the content to match current graphics.. lounge around some more, get new engine, recreate assets etc..

CaptNKILL
05-16-06, 02:00 PM
I played a few levels... I found it boring as well as frustrating. Its just not for me.

Zelda_fan
05-16-06, 02:07 PM

graphics wise it was ok for it's time

gameplay wise it was one of the worst mainstream games I've seen in years.

Banko
05-16-06, 02:35 PM
What is interesting is the topic I posted at the 3drealms forums is now completely gone. Usually they just lock topics that have anything to do with the release date, but mine is completely gone. Interesting.

ENU291
05-16-06, 03:35 PM
3drealms took the Duke Nukem franchise and completely flushed it down the toilet! What idiots! Now DNF is the laughing stock of the industry.

Acid Rain
05-16-06, 04:24 PM
Oh, don't be so harsh. This is the product of many lunch breaks, make no mistake. Can't ask too much, now can we? :D

Banko
05-16-06, 04:55 PM
3drealms took the Duke Nukem franchise and completely flushed it down the toilet! What idiots! Now DNF is the laughing stock of the industry.
How do you know it flushed the Duke Nukem franchise down when it isn't even out yet? I hate stupid comments like that, sure when it comes out and if it sucks then yeah I would agree with you but it has not come out.

agentkay
05-16-06, 05:12 PM
I read last week that another publisher offered 3drealm $80 million for the Duke rights and they said "no thanks".

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12680&www.dailytech.com

Probably a repost, but I thought it fits to this discussion well.

BioHazZarD
05-16-06, 05:15 PM
dont worry about dnf,, soon prey comes out and im sure it will be ten times better then dnf ever will be.

Athena
05-16-06, 05:20 PM
80 million for the rights to Duke? Lucky they did not sell it those guys would have just waisted about 79 million bucks!!!

I give a million to the morons, like me, that will still buy this game thinking it will be any good at all.

Quickstar
05-16-06, 09:18 PM

It hasn't been in development for 10 years. I don't know the specifics, but it was being developed by some company, then they failed, then some time after it got picked up and so on.

So its been off and on. It was started 10 years ago though.