PDA

View Full Version : What will be the first NES/SNES game you download?

Tygerwoody
05-16-06, 08:43 AM
Assuming that the Nintendo Wii will still have the function to download old NES and SNES games, what will be the first game you download?

For me, its Battletoads vs. Double Dragons for NES (if they have it, but i doubt they will)

sytaylor
05-16-06, 08:52 AM
Bah, the snes sucked, genesis was where it was at. :angel:

Bad_Boy
05-16-06, 09:11 AM
If homebrew on ps3 allows roms, i'd say u.n squadron for snes, and gunstar heroes for genesis. :D

Athena
05-16-06, 09:17 AM
Duck Hunt!!

PeterJensen
05-16-06, 09:58 AM
If homebrew on ps3 allows roms, i'd say u.n squadron for snes, and gunstar heroes for genesis. :D

I find it funny that anny one still bealive you will be able to run "homebrew" on the PS3. "But but, its running linux so i can do what the **** i want with it and run emulators and and and allot off stuff..." No its running linux and it will be ****ing insane secure just like the x360 and you wont run annthing sony dont want you to run.

Am_I_Evil
05-16-06, 02:40 PM

you do realize that they'll also have Sega & Turbographix games right?

|MaguS|
05-16-06, 03:13 PM
If Nintendo gets the copyright to put all the library available I will probably get all the Square titles but Nintendo first has to make a deal with all the publishers.

This is the same issue Sony is going to come across with the PSX Emulator on the PSP.

Monolyth
05-16-06, 03:51 PM
Final Fantasy II & III
NHL Hockey '97 (Oh yeah)

Bad_Boy
05-16-06, 04:03 PM
I find it funny that anny one still bealive you will be able to run "homebrew" on the PS3. "But but, its running linux so i can do what the **** i want with it and run emulators and and and allot off stuff..." No its running linux and it will be ****ing insane secure just like the x360 and you wont run annthing sony dont want you to run.
Too bad your wrong.

"Well, this bit of news will surely excite all the PS3 fans. Kawanishi, Network system development manager at SCE, revealed at E3 in an interview that the PS3 will be supporting Linux! Although it has been known before, this interview just confirms the fact.

English Translation:
The PS3 will come standard with a functional Linux Operating System as well as compilers and other tools. This will give a vast playground to all the programmers on the PS3. This means that the PS3 will support all USB drives. Even back in the PlayStation generation, there were a lot of creations by homebrew developers. On the PS3, this will be much more.

If you think of the PS3 as an ecosystem, the game studios will still follow the current routine, to treat the PS3 as a game console, and develop games while paying the license fee. However, in which form can the individual developers participate best in the software development for the PS3?

"To request license fee from the individual developers is a little hard (laughing). When a game studio buys a license to develop for the PS3, SCE side must supply the studio with necessary tools and SDK libraries, as well as all kinds of technical support. Since the PS3 is using Linux, the license fee will not be required for developing on it."

Won't this be a challenge to all the programmers since they won't have any knowledge technical knowledge of the hardware?

"Based on Linux, it is the OS-side hardware layer which is managing the Cell processor related issues, which makes the SPE also opened to the developers. However, I don't think that the PS3 as a game platform business, and the PS3 in the Linux world, will be merged into one."

So, what does this mean for the average PS3 user who doesn't understand jack about Linux? Well, for starters, this is as good as an official announcement that Sony and PS3 will not block homebrew in any way, unlike the PSP. And the fact that homebrew developers will be welcomed with open arms and not boxing gloves, like on the PSP.

Seeing the PSP community, it's quite obvious that Sony would've learned a lot. A lot of homebrew on the PSP is stuff which Sony should have taken care of in the first place. And if they couldn't, they shouldn't have blocked it.

I'll skip the "Linux for Dummies" explanation. I assume all of our readers have at least heard of it sometime in their lives. And many of you must've tried it too. Linux on any platform is a dream. You can do so much with it. For programmers, this means that they won't have to code on the PC and transfer to the PS3. For the average user, Linux will open a world unimaginable before. Almost everything you can do on a PC, you will be able to do here. Media Centers (MythTV anyone?), Cool Desktop environments (KDE, Gnome), Browsers (Firefox, Mozilla, Opera), and lots more.

I just hope that they don't tie it down and cripple it. The PS2 Linux 'project' wasn't as successful because of the same reason.

No other details were revealed. So we still don't know if they will be using a popular distro or make one of their own (possibly deriving from another distro?). Plus, we don't know if the PS3's actual OS will be Linux itself, or whether it will be a dualboot environment. I'd guess that it's the latter.

Using Linux as the PS3's OS would mean a lot of headaches for them, as well as the GNU/GPL guys. Plus, using Linux as the main OS would mean possibly crippling it, so that it doesn't run code which they don't want. I'd rather not get into speculation mode, seeing how big companies have a knack of letting us down.

This bit of news finally brings something positive from the PS3 side on the table. Sony had been getting a lot of flak lately. Hopefully, this bit of news will help the PS3 redeem itself."

http://ps3.qj.net/Its-Official-The-PS3-will-support-Linux-and-Homebrew-/pg/49/aid/40039

Sorry I had to derail the thread guys. I stand by my orginal post...
U.N. Squadron and Gunstar Heroes FTW! :D

Monolyth
05-16-06, 04:05 PM
Don't DeRail a thread that much, ffs it's like 2 pages worth of bs, just link and be done pls, don't quote the whole thing.

Oh I forgot to add:
Terminator 2!

1337_Like_ThaT
05-16-06, 04:19 PM
GunSmoke

Bubble Bobble

PunchOut

Zelda_fan
05-16-06, 06:00 PM

only a PS3 fanboy could turn a perfectly fine thread into how you are going to pirate things on the PS3.

As for the origional question, do you even have to ask? The origional Zelda (out of respect for the series). The I'll proceed to dl the rest of the Zelda titles, after that, all the Mario titles, then I'm not sure what's next.

Tygerwoody
05-16-06, 06:20 PM
only a PS3 fanboy could turn a perfectly fine thread into how you are going to pirate things on the PS3.

As for the origional question, do you even have to ask? The origional Zelda (out of respect for the series). The I'll proceed to dl the rest of the Zelda titles, after that, all the Mario titles, then I'm not sure what's next.
original zelda sucks imo...

CaptNKILL
05-16-06, 06:20 PM
Anyone know if they are going to be free or not? If they are, I'll probably just download everything and then browse through. I already have just about everything ever made for all 16bit consoles and earlier though so paying a few bucks here and there for the games would be pointless. Its insane how much you can do with them on PCs with a good emulator. If the Wii can compete, then I'll be all over it.

Id be interested in Nintendo 64 titles though. I've never really played them much. Will they be available online as well?

Zelda_fan
05-16-06, 06:25 PM
Id be interested in Nintendo 64 titles though. I've never really played them much. Will they be available online as well?

everything except for gamecube will be available for DL

CaptNKILL
05-16-06, 06:44 PM
Awesome.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the "price" of this service. I hope they will make it free or very very very very cheap (a few bucks a month to download as many games as you want). I have a feeling itl be more expensive though. Or maybe they will have some games for free but the other more popular ones will be a few dollars each.

Also, do they cover handhelds? I had some great fun on the original Gameboy, it might be interesting to play some of those old games again.

I guess its easier to just go get the roms though... rather than wait 6 months and then have to play the games exactly the way they were (no extra graphics or save features like the ones found in emulators) and possibly have to pay for it.

Zelda_fan
05-16-06, 07:42 PM
Awesome.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the "price" of this service. I hope they will make it free or very very very very cheap (a few bucks a month to download as many games as you want). I have a feeling itl be more expensive though. Or maybe they will have some games for free but the other more popular ones will be a few dollars each.

Also, do they cover handhelds? I had some great fun on the original Gameboy, it might be interesting to play some of those old games again.

I guess its easier to just go get the roms though... rather than wait 6 months and then have to play the games exactly the way they were (no extra graphics or save features like the ones found in emulators) and possibly have to pay for it.

If you think it'll be a few bucks a month, then I think you're gonna get let down. At best it'll be $15.00 a month, and at worst it'll be a flat fee for each game. Honestly though, $15 for an n64 game that retailed at $70 isn't to bad of a deal if you haven't played it before.

Ninja Prime
05-16-06, 09:36 PM

As I recall Nintendo has a deal with Sega, so that Wii will have Master System and Genesis games too, not sure about Saturn, as it would be difficult to emulate, but maybe.

sytaylor
05-17-06, 02:59 AM
you do realize that they'll also have Sega & Turbographix games right?

HOLY BOOBS BATMAN!

I'm in there like swimwear, this thing got it goin on like donkey kong. ;)

sytaylor
05-17-06, 02:59 AM
As I recall Nintendo has a deal with Sega, so that Wii will have Master System and Genesis games too, not sure about Saturn, as it would be difficult to emulate, but maybe.

Yeah the saturn emulators for the PC are still very slow. Although the Saturn was my all time favorite console.

S.I.N
05-17-06, 08:49 PM
Mario 64!!!!!

CaptNKILL
05-17-06, 09:57 PM
If you think it'll be a few bucks a month, then I think you're gonna get let down. At best it'll be $15.00 a month, and at worst it'll be a flat fee for each game. Honestly though, $15 for an n64 game that retailed at $70 isn't to bad of a deal if you haven't played it before.
Hmm... we'll see how it works out...

I'll admit I was a lot more psyched about this system when I first saw the E3 presentation... the "wow" factor is wearing off a bit now.

I hope it lives up to the hype though, it could be really cool.