PDA

View Full Version : How do i flash my card?

a12ctic
05-16-06, 06:48 PM
I want to flash my card, i can probobly find the bios pretty easily, i know i could use nvflash, but that requires a floppy from what ive heard, how can i flash it without a floppy?

stevemedes
05-16-06, 09:39 PM
No, and even if you could you wouldn't want to do it in XP as DOS is the safest environment for BIOS flashing.

stevemedes
05-16-06, 09:50 PM
i found some more info on the subject.. browse these forums for stuff about video card bios flashing...

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,34/func,view/id,34941/catid,13/

supra
05-16-06, 10:01 PM
what you can do is use the files from a msdos bootdisk and use nero or whatever to make your own bootable disc.

stevemedes
05-16-06, 10:42 PM
yeah u can do that also

AdmiralHalsey..
05-17-06, 12:16 AM
Hey, yeah Mavke really helped me on that thread, but I get the feeling he knows how to flash in windows without a floppy, he just didn't wanna tell me.:( Anyway, If you don't have a floppy I can guide you through the procees of flashing with a cd rom. Its hard and time-consuming, so its up to you. Update: I'm bored and probobly going to bed soon, so I'll just do it now. First, make sure you have 2 cdrom or dvd drives, as well as a motherboard that supports booting from cdroms. Next, obtain a windows 98se boot disk. These are free, use google, and burn the ISO file to a cdrom, useing nero, roxio, or a free utility such as UltraISO, Deepburner, etc... Now you have a boot disc. Next, download nvflash, the latest version 5.31, from www.mvktech.net. When you unzip it, it will have directions, command line parramaters, and the 2 essential files, nvFlash and cwsdpmi. Place these two files in a new folder. Next, use atitool beta.50, or another program, to extract you ORIGINAL, UNMODIFIED bios from your vga card, or you could download a copy from www.mvktech.net. Place this .rom file in the folder. Next download the new bios file and place it in the folder. Give each bios file an easy, short name like 11.rom and 22.rom, just remember which is which. Now, burn the contents of this folder to a new cdrom, note this new disc will not be in iso format. Your ready to flash now. Boot from the win98se boot disc, and you'll see the disc load a series of general purpose drivers, assign drive letters to your cd/dvdroms, and dump you to a bare dos prompt. You'll be in whatever drive the win98se boot disc is in, so you'll see somthing like: A:\> Next, leaving the win98se boot disc in place, insert the disc with nvflash and your bios .rom files into your other cd/dvdrom drive. switch to this drive by looking at the letter assigned to it [you should still be able to see this at the top of the screen] by typing; B: Now, type exactly this:nvflash 22.rom where 22.rom is the name you gave the new bios file you wish to flash your card with. Before you type enter, it should look like this:B:\>nvflash 22.rom Jeeze, that was complicated...*****

a12ctic
05-17-06, 12:23 AM
would using flashboot work?

john19055
05-17-06, 03:02 AM
you can pick up a floppy for $5 or $10 at a PC shop and do it DOS ,IMO it is the safest way ,I got one for $2 and it is still working in my other machine.

supra
05-17-06, 03:48 AM
u can also use a usb memory stick if ur mobo can boot off usb :D

Monolyth
05-17-06, 02:20 PM
I want to flash my card, i can probobly find the bios pretty easily, i know i could use nvflash, but that requires a floppy from what ive heard, how can i flash it without a floppy?

Some suggestions for proper flashing:
1. A trenchcoat really helps add to the "WOW" affect.
2. Ensure that all foreign objects that might obstruct the view are properly hidden, it is recommended to review this in a mirror.
3. Flashing without a floppy...well I feel sorry for you. Having no floppy can make many things very hard (or not hard) these days. Getting a spare floppy from a friend can work at first, but after time you may find that your friend might get a little raw about it.

With these handy tips, flashing should be no problem for you!

a12ctic
05-17-06, 07:30 PM
Hey, yeah Mavke really helped me on that thread, but I get the feeling he knows how to flash in windows without a floppy, he just didn't wanna tell me.:( Anyway, If you don't have a floppy I can guide you through the procees of flashing with a cd rom. Its hard and time-consuming, so its up to you. Update: I'm bored and probobly going to bed soon, so I'll just do it now. First, make sure you have 2 cdrom or dvd drives, as well as a motherboard that supports booting from cdroms. Next, obtain a windows 98se boot disk. These are free, use google, and burn the ISO file to a cdrom, useing nero, roxio, or a free utility such as UltraISO, Deepburner, etc... Now you have a boot disc. Next, download nvflash, the latest version 5.31, from www.mvktech.net. When you unzip it, it will have directions, command line parramaters, and the 2 essential files, nvFlash and cwsdpmi. Place these two files in a new folder. Next, use atitool beta.50, or another program, to extract you ORIGINAL, UNMODIFIED bios from your vga card, or you could download a copy from www.mvktech.net. Place this .rom file in the folder. Next download the new bios file and place it in the folder. Give each bios file an easy, short name like 11.rom and 22.rom, just remember which is which. Now, burn the contents of this folder to a new cdrom, note this new disc will not be in iso format. Your ready to flash now. Boot from the win98se boot disc, and you'll see the disc load a series of general purpose drivers, assign drive letters to your cd/dvdroms, and dump you to a bare dos prompt. You'll be in whatever drive the win98se boot disc is in, so you'll see somthing like: A:\> Next, leaving the win98se boot disc in place, insert the disc with nvflash and your bios .rom files into your other cd/dvdrom drive. switch to this drive by looking at the letter assigned to it [you should still be able to see this at the top of the screen] by typing; B: Now, type exactly this:nvflash 22.rom where 22.rom is the name you gave the new bios file you wish to flash your card with. Before you type enter, it should look like this:B:\>nvflash 22.rom Jeeze, that was complicated...***** cant do 2 cdroms :(

when i popped in a floppy drive i cant boot up windows to put the files on the floppy (gives me some error that it cant find the system disk) :(

NoWayDude
05-17-06, 08:10 PM
cant do 2 cdroms :(

when i popped in a floppy drive i cant boot up windows to put the files on the floppy (gives me some error that it cant find the system disk) :(

It seems something not working right on your system
Silly questtion this, but, why do you want to flash you GPU?

a12ctic
05-17-06, 08:24 PM
i want to flash my gpu because i cant use my 3d clocks anymore for some reason

how bout this for good luck, on my moms computer her floppy reads as 5 1/2 instead of what it is 3 1/2, itll take the floppies, it wont format them though...

john19055
05-17-06, 11:46 PM
http://www.bootdisk.com/ you can go here and I think it will tell you how to make a Boot CD disk,but the safest way is to add a floppy to your computer.