PDA

View Full Version : Bf2 Profile?

mon
05-16-06, 06:52 PM
HI

WOT IS THE BEST BF2 profile? standard or moded? i have added supersampling and hq

OWA
05-16-06, 09:23 PM
You definitely want to add the HQ like you did already. I also force 16xAF. Supersampling is good also if your performance is good enough to use it. So, I think your changes are good.

mon
05-17-06, 10:36 AM
You definitely want to add the HQ like you did already. I also force 16xAF. Supersampling is good also if your performance is good enough to use it. So, I think your changes are good.

thanks mate ..

how do i force 16xaf?

SLippe
05-17-06, 02:04 PM
So if I have SS set in the nvcpl in my Global Settings, then BF2 really isn't using it? I've never understood how to mod a profile. Do I check all boxes I want to add to the profile? Or should I use NHancer?

OWA
05-17-06, 03:01 PM
thanks mate ..

how do i force 16xaf?
Just set the BF2 profile so that it uses 16xAF. It'll override whatever in-game setting is being used. If BF2 provides 16xAF as an option, you can use that instead though.

So if I have SS set in the nvcpl in my Global Settings, then BF2 really isn't using it? I've never understood how to mod a profile. Do I check all boxes I want to add to the profile? Or should I use NHancer?
nHancer just gives you an easier to use GUI for the profiles. You still need to understand how they work to use them properly. It can be a little confusing b/c it's pretty flexible but once you understand it, it makes things a lot easier and convenient.

Yes, to modify a game specific profile, you check the box next to the option you want to use and then choose what setting you want it to have. When you do that, it overrides whatever the global settings are set to and whatever the in-game settings may be set to. So, if you went to the BF2 profile, checked the box next to AA, then set it to be 8xS, you would then be using 8xS in BF2 no matter what the global settings say and no matter what the in-game settings say. So, you could have the BF2 profile set to 8xS, the global AA setting at 4xAA and the in-game BF2 set to 0xAA but you'd get 8xS.

Super Sampling is a good example b/c it's hard to use in a lot of games for performance reasons. So, you might choose to do things this way. Set the global settings to 4xAA/16xAF or leave them at application control if most of the games you play provide the AA/AF settings you want. Then, in the games that you can use 8xS with acceptable performance, modify their specific profiles to force 8xS. That way, when you play those games you don't need to go to the control panel before you launch it to change the global settings to 8xS. You set it once in the game specific profile and you're done.

SLippe
05-17-06, 04:59 PM
Just set the BF2 profile so that it uses 16xAF. It'll override whatever in-game setting is being used. If BF2 provides 16xAF as an option, you can use that instead though.

nHancer just gives you an easier to use GUI for the profiles. You still need to understand how they work to use them properly. It can be a little confusing b/c it's pretty flexible but once you understand it, it makes things a lot easier and convenient.

Yes, to modify a game specific profile, you check the box next to the option you want to use and then choose what setting you want it to have. When you do that, it overrides whatever the global settings are set to and whatever the in-game settings may be set to. So, if you went to the BF2 profile, checked the box next to AA, then set it to be 8xS, you would then be using 8xS in BF2 no matter what the global settings say and no matter what the in-game settings say. So, you could have the BF2 profile set to 8xS, the global AA setting at 4xAA and the in-game BF2 set to 0xAA but you'd get 8xS.

Super Sampling is a good example b/c it's hard to use in a lot of games for performance reasons. So, you might choose to do things this way. Set the global settings to 4xAA/16xAF or leave them at application control if most of the games you play provide the AA/AF settings you want. Then, in the games that you can use 8xS with acceptable performance, modify their specific profiles to force 8xS. That way, when you play those games you don't need to go to the control panel before you launch it to change the global settings to 8xS. You set it once in the game specific profile and you're done.
Okay, thanks. That's what I've done. I have the BF2 profile to match my Global Settings and it ran just fine. BF2 in game only has 4xAA, but I have the Profile set to 8xS now with 16xAF, High Quality Image, SS and GA. It does look better and I can't tell any difference in performance. Thanks! I may play with other profiles now.

One thing, I don't use the Force Mipmaps option at all. Is that okay, since I have 16xAF set?

mon
05-17-06, 05:05 PM
wot about negative lod bias shall i click this???

OWA
05-17-06, 05:19 PM
wot about negative lod bias shall i click this???
Yeah, it helps with the shimmering although BF2 is still one of the worst cases in that regard.

One thing, I don't use the Force Mipmaps option at all. Is that okay, since I have 16xAF set?
That option is for games that don't support mipmaps. It allows you to force them to be used even if the game doesn't support it. I never bother with it. I don't know any games, offhand, where that is needed but maybe someone else will be able to list some where it might be useful.

mon
05-17-06, 05:32 PM
thanks mate .. wot about comfornat texture clamp??

Yeah, it helps with the shimmering although BF2 is still one of the worst cases in that regard.

That option is for games that don't support mipmaps. It allows you to force them to be used even if the game doesn't support it. I never bother with it. I don't know any games, offhand, where that is needed but maybe someone else will be able to list some where it might be useful.

OWA
05-17-06, 05:35 PM
That's for opengl so I just leave that alone. I think it defaults to on but it shouldn't matter either way. Also, if you right-click the option and choose What's This it'll give you a brief description of what it is for. You can also click the ? in the upper right part of the control panel and then click on the option to get the same help info.

mon
05-17-06, 05:37 PM
thanks .. yea have read them i have run ap controled on the top ones and also negative lod bies and i can def tell a differance is more sharper..

That's for opengl so I just leave that alone. I think it defaults to on but it shouldn't matter either way. Also, if you right-click the option and choose What's This it'll give you a brief description of what it is for. You can also click the ? in the upper right part of the control panel and then click on the option to get the same help info.