PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Main Quest NPC's useless...

oneils
05-16-06, 08:43 PM
Just started main quest (with a level 13, now 15, mage), and, boy, those Kvatch guards are useless. They just dropped like flies against the clanfears and daedroth. What's weird is that in the trailers, and all the videos I saw during pre-release, the guards were carving up all the dremora. What gives?

Where they just hacking at clanfear runts? If the game levels monsters along with you, you would think that the NPC's would level along with you as well. Damn, good thing for my Lightning Bolts, 300+ magicka and my crappy homemade Restore Magicka Potions!:p

Zelda_fan
05-16-06, 08:48 PM
Just started main quest (with a level 13, now 15, mage), and, boy, those Kvatch guards are useless. They just dropped like flies against the clanfears and daedroth. What's weird is that in the trailers, and all the videos I saw during pre-release, the guards were carving up all the dremora. What gives?

Where they just hacking at clanfear runts? If the game levels monsters along with you, you would think that the NPC's would level along with you as well. Damn, good thing for my Lightning Bolts, 300+ magicka and my crappy homemade Restore Magicka Potions!:p

The Kvatch guards don't level with you, however, the enemies DO. Kvatch is meant to be done around level 2-3. So you have level 2 guards fighting level 14 deadra. Of course they're going to drop like flies.

de><ta
05-16-06, 08:54 PM
In stock oblivion, all npc's level with you. The monsters are levelled, ie at different levels you get different monsters.

Get Oscuro's if you are playing Oblivion the first time through.

oneils
05-16-06, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. However, if the game is supposed to be so open-ended you would think that Bethesda might level the NPC's with you because I'm sure a lot of people don't even start the main quest until after a lot of exploration. Just kind of disheartening to have everyone die in front of you :o.

Having a blast though, I've found that my mage character is a lot more fun than the lvl 16 crusader I gave up on. The dremora all seem to have a weakness to elemental damage, so three to five blasts usually drops them.

edit: to de><ta, so the guards that fight along side me are actually level 15 as well?

de><ta
05-16-06, 09:20 PM
Yeah, guards and other people increase in level every time you go up a level. Also create a spell that heals others and gives them a small amount of shield and fortifies thier blade skills. I only lost one imperial archer over at Kvatch. They come in handy towards the end of the game though.

oneils
05-16-06, 09:39 PM
Yeah, guards and other people increase in level every time you go up a level. Also create a spell that heals others and gives them a small amount of shield and fortifies thier blade skills. I only lost one imperial archer over at Kvatch. They come in handy towards the end of the game though.

Will I need the Kvatch guards again (oops, they're all dead now)? Or, will there be more soldiers to help out? Oh well.

Great advice, I've been busy just enchanting my gear and haven't even bothered experimenting with spells. Never even thought of making spells with more than one effect...that would be fun to play around with.

I have to say that the Kvatch Oblivion Gate was pretty hairy. I closed that up first before entering Kvatch itself. I was disappointed by the loot though. But, from what I've heard, I'll have plenty of other gates to crash.

de><ta
05-16-06, 11:29 PM
There will be more soldiers to help out, but lets just say that you are going to need all the help you can get. ;)

CaptNKILL
05-17-06, 02:05 AM
Yep, Kvatch (IMO) is bugged. The soldiers should deffinitely level with you so that they can actually help at higher levels. The enemies are just way too tough. I managed to do it alone at around level 18 I think, but the only way I got by was by doing a lot of running backwards in circles doing cheap shots with my bow. Id rather not have to resort to dumb tactics like that, but it worked out alright.

Man, I've been actually playing the game the past couple days after probably 2 weeks of not playing (all working on textures... it bugged me to play without it being "finished" so I just didnt play it) and Im still totally in love with this game. I did a big dungeon crawl, fought a crap load of very difficult goblin warlords, did some dark brotherhood stuff, explored a bit... and it looks so much better now with the updated textures and everything.

As soon as the new patch comes out and I can test everything to make sure it all works with the patch, you guys will all be able to get my textures for yourselves :D

I'll just need hosting... :o

SH64
05-17-06, 02:38 AM
Kvatch mission was the hardest i've ever encountered in Oblivion .. it'll get easier with the following missions of the main quest though.

msxyz
05-17-06, 03:04 AM
If you do the Kvatch mission at lvl 1 (entirely possible) all but a couple of guards survive and it's a stroll in the park. Done at lvl 10 above it's quite challenging and it's very difficult to save somebody (usually only the archers survive). At lvl 20 and above, it's just a solo mission: find some high spot in the game and use spells/ranged attacks.

This is the exact opposite of the Bruma battle. I've done it two times: one I was at lvl 2 (with my unwarrior) and despite having all the other guards from all the towns, neither Jauffre, nor Burd and Baurus survived; half of the townsguards were dead by the time I returned from the gate.

The second time I tried a different approach; I did the main quest for last when I was at lvl 20 (my characters are engineered not to level too fast...) and despite the constant stream of high level daedra only Baurus died. Note also that this time I didn't do the "allies for Bruma quest" and the defending force was composed only of two blades, two townguards and a ragged band of nords (the town militia) equiped wikth iron axes.... Apparently these nords kicked some serious ass while I was in the Oblivion gate because, as I said, when I returned all of them where still alive. :lol:

hemmy
05-17-06, 09:13 AM
There will be more soldiers to help out, but lets just say that you are going to need all the help you can get. ;)

huh? The end of the main quest isn't that hard........

oneils
05-17-06, 10:09 AM
Cool, thanks for the info guys. My tactic against daedra is to basically backpedal while tossing lightning bolts. They are all usually susceptible to various elemental magic. Even the daedroth and dremora, to my surprise, weren't very tough. However, I did have to make a lot of Restore Magicka potions.

My alchemy is pretty low still (around 55 - I completely neglected it) so I can only make potions that restore about 9 magicka a second over 34 seconds (or something like that). But, it does the trick.

I have to say that I really enjoy the quest system in Oblivion, many of them are pretty creative.