PDA

View Full Version : LOL at steam users

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
05-17-06, 01:31 AM
I was looking at the steam hardware survey results and 60% of those who took the survey are running a refresh rate of 60Hz. Thats pretty nuts, you wouldn't think over half the people who game don't have much of a clue when it comes to computers, which is basically what that tells me as anyone in the know wouldn't stand for 60Hz. I thought it was very telling.

Mr_LoL
05-17-06, 01:35 AM
I was looking at the steam hardware survey results and 60% of those who took the survey are running a refresh rate of 60Hz. Thats pretty nuts, you wouldn't think over half the people who game don't have much of a clue when it comes to computers, which is basically what that tells me as anyone in the know wouldn't stand for 60Hz. I thought it was very telling.

But I run 60hz on my lcd because thats the highest it supports at 1280 x 1024. Its not too bad with lcds anyway. With crt's, running at 60hz is headache inducing.

Rakeesh
05-17-06, 01:53 AM

60hz or 300hz doesn't make a difference with an LCD.

But this is probably mostly due to a "feature" (but I would rather call it a bug) in windows XP that always resets the refresh rate to 60hz. Apparently this is microsofts way of resolving most display problems that people have before they ever report it to tech support, and they aren't interested in changing this behavior.

faraday
05-17-06, 02:48 AM
Since LCD monitors do not employ phosphors, refresh rate is not a concern. Basically, the transistors in the LCD remain open or closed as needed until the image changes. This can be a point of confusion for some consumers, however, since most graphics cards still "ask for" a refresh rate setting. This is due to the analog nature of existing graphic cards (see "Inputs" section) and their support for CRT displays. While refresh rates do not apply to LCD monitors, most LCDs are set up to accept any settings from 60Hz and above.

from http://www.necdisplay.com/support/css/monitortechguide/index04.htm#refreshrate

RAY16
05-17-06, 02:48 AM
My CRT is old and only supports 60Hz at 1280x1024 (I run at 1280x960). Doesn't give me a headache, either. Go me.

supra
05-17-06, 03:24 AM
ive never actually taken a look at the results :D

Peoples-Agent
05-17-06, 04:39 AM
Effective torture methods....

White Noise, Panel Beating of Feet and Sat Infront of CRT With Eyes Fixed Open Permanently With Superglue Staring at a 60hz refreshed Windows desktop.

Sod THAT!

85Hz Minimum at 1280 by 1024 for me.

Am_I_Evil
05-17-06, 04:39 AM

or it could just mean lots of people use LCDs...

Superfly
05-17-06, 04:43 AM
or it could just mean lots of people use LCDs...

exactly.

saturnotaku
05-17-06, 05:00 AM
exactly.

And as such - LOL at the OP.

Mr. Hunt
05-17-06, 07:39 AM
I use a CRT at 60hz... I used to run 1600x1200... but that monitor died... using a piece of crap one that has a high of 1280x1024... the lower refresh rate doesn't really bother me much... I notice it sometimes but it isn't like "ZOMG I R GUNA XPLOED#!" or anything.

superklye
05-17-06, 07:41 AM
The only time I've ever noticed 60Hz is at anything higher than 1600x1200 at work. My LCD at home does 75Hz and my CRT does 60 (both at 1280x1024) and the CRT doesn't bother me at all. There is no flicker or anything.

At work, the flicker is RIDICULOUS and headache-inducing. I don't know what the difference is, other than obviously the resolution has an impact on it.

walterman
05-17-06, 07:58 AM
I've 16ms TFT & set at 60 Hz. It means that the transistors of the screen can change up to 1/16ms=60Hz+- from one color to a different one, so, it can draw up to 60fps without 'ghosting'. I can set the screen to 75Hz too, but, it's worse for gaming, more ghosting. You better keep the VSync ratio at 1:1 between your vga/screen. Add Vsync On, & it's like watching a live poster without tearing or ghosting.

a12ctic
05-17-06, 07:59 AM
60hz doesnt bother me, i run on 85hz, but i CAN do 60hz easily without much eye strain :) on crt this is

agentkay
05-17-06, 08:03 AM
When I had a CRT 60hz didnīt bother me much either. My eyes did hurt a little after 5+ hour sessions but they sometimes do the same on this LCD as well.

jolle
05-17-06, 08:04 AM
60hz doesnt bother me, i run on 85hz, but i CAN do 60hz easily without much eye strain :) on crt this is
Some CRTs are worse then others.. Ive had a monitor where 72hz wasnt a problem, but a few where its unbearable.
I stick to 85hz, got 85hz on the DxDiag override aswell.

Riptide
05-17-06, 08:39 AM
One thing I don't miss about CRTs... Anyone ever use one in a house that had crappy power? You know, where the image wobbles on the screen? My grandma's house (built in '52) was a PITA for this and I had to use either 60Hz or 85+Hz in order to cancel out the wobble.

ynnek
05-17-06, 10:28 AM
don't' use florescent lights around a computer CRT monitor thats flickering at 60 hz. Florescent lights also flicker at 60 hz (since us AC runs at 60 hz too).. With the two refresh rates close together, they will "clash".

I know people at work that use 60 hz on their monitors, and don't notice a thing, while i'm wondering how they can even see.

Kaguya
05-17-06, 10:33 AM
Another LCD user here. Although when I took the poll I was running between 72hz and 100hz depending on the resolution, now I'm solidly and happily at 60hz.

LCD means I never have to worry about referesh rate adjustments again ;)

Riptide
05-17-06, 10:35 AM
The problem in my case was not fluorescent lights but dirty power in general. If Grandma turns on her heater upstairs (space heater) it would wobble noticeably worse. At 60Hz the waves will cancel each other out and that is ofcourse why the wobble is gone. However some people can't handle 60Hz - for me it was no problem and I never saw flicker on my GDMF500R display. It almost seems like 60Hz on one display is not necessarily equal to 60Hz on another, though logically it should be the same I would assume.

don't' use florescent lights around a computer CRT monitor thats flickering at 60 hz. Florescent lights also flicker at 60 hz (since us AC runs at 60 hz too).. With the two refresh rates close together, they will "clash".

I know people at work that use 60 hz on their monitors, and don't notice a thing, while i'm wondering how they can even see.

Sazar
05-17-06, 10:56 AM

You've never heard of LCD refreshes, thats very telling.

Mr_LoL
05-17-06, 11:00 AM
I dont think running at 60hz in games is too bad but when browsing the internet, using word etc is when it really starts to cause eyestrain. Thats what happens to me anyway.

Ninjaman09
05-17-06, 11:02 AM
Well everyone else has said it but I'll chime in too.

LCDs.

kkthxbai

Marvel_us
05-17-06, 01:50 PM
Notice the OP does not post in the thread again.

J-Mag
05-17-06, 02:23 PM
I dont think running at 60hz in games is too bad but when browsing the internet, using word etc is when it really starts to cause eyestrain. Thats what happens to me anyway.

Yeah exactly 60hz on a CRT while gaming isn't really problematic. It's when you are looking at still framed stuff...