Vengeance
05-17-06, 08:09 AM
Nvidia 7950GX2 priced up at $600

Double-barrelled GeForce with 1GB of GDDR-3 memory

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31719

Pics and more info here....
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,3650.html
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3585

The card in the picture is a lot bigger than the one that will ship according to vr-zone.

john19055
05-17-06, 09:01 AM
unless you have plenty of money to throw around I don'nt think they will be worth it ,but they will sell as soon as they hit the streets ,It looks like just being clocked at 500/1200 that they would be slower in games running a 7900GTX SLI running at 690/1760

Vengeance
05-17-06, 09:49 AM
Well I don't have no $600 to spend on a video card. And the only way I would ever think of getting one of these is if it gives the performance of sli with out needing an sli mobo. I haven't heard if you do for sure, but you probably do need an sli mobo to use this card. :(

Mr_LoL
05-17-06, 10:43 AM
unless you have plenty of money to throw around I don'nt think they will be worth it ,but they will sell as soon as they hit the streets ,It looks like just being clocked at 500/1200 that they would be slower in games running a 7900GTX running at 690/1760

Apparently they clocked them that low because of heat issues as the two cards are close together. I dont know which one to believe.

jAkUp
05-17-06, 11:15 AM
unless you have plenty of money to throw around I don'nt think they will be worth it ,but they will sell as soon as they hit the streets ,It looks like just being clocked at 500/1200 that they would be slower in games running a 7900GTX running at 690/1760

Maybe in games that don't properly support the dual GPU's, but overall it should be faster. Especially at high resolutions/AA settings.

ViN86
05-17-06, 11:45 AM
wow, i thought this card would be $1k. its actually pretty cheap when you think about it. two 7900 GPU's for $600 isnt bad at all, comparatively that is.

i dont have the cash to get one, but you know what i mean ;)

jAkUp
05-17-06, 12:10 PM
Look at the memory bandwith on this thing...

38.4GB/s x 4!!

CaptNKILL
05-17-06, 12:15 PM

38.4GB/s x 4!!
I dont think the memory bandwidth is technically x4 is it? Because all of the cards have to store the same data, so the bandwidth may be x4 but the amount of data being sent is also x4 (which is why 4x256Mb cards doesnt equal 1gb usable memory).

Maybe Im wrong. I thought the only real benefit from SLI was the extra GPU processing power.

SH64
05-17-06, 12:17 PM
Someday i'm gonna get 2 of those! :D , but first the drivers need to mature up a little until we can see thier full potential.

jAkUp
05-17-06, 12:25 PM
Well, each card needs to write to the framebuffer to the scene... in the case of texture memory, I am unusure about memory bandwith, I'm sure its nowhere near 38.4 x 4 though.. heh. But it sounds cool on paper :D

walterman
05-17-06, 12:40 PM
My hopes for next gen cards:

Samsung's GDDR4 @ 3.2 GHz -> 100GB/s
512bit bus -> 200GB/s

& welcome to the real HDTV gaming era :)

Monnie Rock
05-17-06, 04:47 PM

38.4GB/s x 4!!

56.32 GB/s Memory Bandwidth for the EVGA 7900GTX Superclocked.
2 EVGA 7900GTX Superclocked in SLI is still 512mb @ 56.32 GB/s Memory Bandwidth, not 1024mb
Each GPU only sees 512mb of memory. Just like SLI with two cards, the GX2 is the same even if there is a total of 2048mb of ram.
The memory for the GX2 is 32% slower.

I am not impressed to be honest. The memory bandwidth of two GTX cards is a lot more. I think this is the downfall to the GX2 setup. All show and no go !!

How well these will overclock will catch my eye. If you can get the memory up like the 7900gt cards are running overclocked, they might start to prove their benefits.

Only time will tell

Remember the EVGA 7800 gtx KO 256 cards had faster memory. 41.6 GB/s Memory Bandwidth

jAkUp
05-17-06, 05:10 PM
I meant that in a more sarcastic kinda way....

Yes each GPU only sees 512MB's, since each card needs to fill the framebuffer for the scene.

The pure pixel pushing power should give it better framerates in certain scenarios... like very high resolutions, as you can see from the 7900 GX2 benchmarks, the card is faster at very high resolutions.

As for overclocking, you should be able to hit close to 600MHz on the GPU.

CaptNKILL
05-17-06, 05:21 PM
I really hope some day someone can figure out a way to share the memory between cores\cards.

I dont know how it all works, but to me it seems like youd want to use a 512bit bus or something. Im sure if it were that simple they would have figured it out by now :p

Hmm... actually, I know CPUs and GPUs are very very different, but it seems like there should be some way to do it if dual core or multi CPU systems dont need multiple copies of the same data in memory to function (ie, splitting your 2gigs of ram into 2x1gig of the same information).

Im not an engineer or anything though... so again, if it were simple, Im sure we wouldnt be buying 4x512mb video cards for 512mb of video memory.

Monnie Rock
05-17-06, 05:23 PM
I meant that in a more sarcastic kinda way....

I know this and some others that understand this technology know as well but, some that do not understand this concept take your word as "GOLD"

The pure pixel pushing power should give it better framerates in certain scenarios... like very high resolutions, as you can see from the 7900 GX2 benchmarks, the card is faster at very high resolutions..

Once again, with core speeds being 500mhz, the results were not that impressive compared with two 7900 GTX Superclocked at 690 mhz in SLI. I am taking about OEM speeds, not user overclocked.

jAkUp
05-17-06, 05:26 PM
I really hope some day someone can figure out a way to share the memory between cores\cards.

I dont know how it all works, but to me it seems like youd want to use a 512bit bus or something. Im sure if it were that simple they would have figured it out by now :p

Hmm... actually, I know CPUs and GPUs are very very different, but it seems like there should be some way to do it if dual core or multi CPU systems dont need multiple copies of the same data in memory to function (ie, splitting your 2gigs of ram into 2x1gig of the same information).

Im not an engineer or anything though... so again, if it were simple, Im sure we wouldnt be buying 4x512mb video cards for 512mb of video memory.

I don't think it will ever be possible.

If they were to share the memory, that means they would need to move all that texture data back and forth over the PCIe bus and that little tiny SLI bridge... it just isn't possible.

If you run SFR (split frame) Each card has no idea which direction you will look, so each card needs to load up all the textures for that scene.

System memory is quite a bit different, is just memory, and doesn't have a GPU or CPU to go with that memory that is in charge of handling the texture data.

CaptNKILL
05-17-06, 05:48 PM
I don't think it will ever be possible.

If they were to share the memory, that means they would need to move all that texture data back and forth over the PCIe bus and that little tiny SLI bridge... it just isn't possible.

If you run SFR (split frame) Each card has no idea which direction you will look, so each card needs to load up all the textures for that scene.

System memory is quite a bit different, is just memory, and doesn't have a GPU or CPU to go with that memory that is in charge of handling the texture data.
Bah :(

I guess that leaves us with a choice of either making very innefficient (memory wise) multi chip solutions or really really complex and powerful single chip solutions.

No cheap way out of it. :(

superklye
05-17-06, 08:02 PM
I cannot believe how cheap these are going to be. Like, I want to cry tears of extreme happiness.

Not that I can afford one or anything, but still...it's a good sign, I think.

lee63
05-17-06, 08:10 PM
I cannot believe how cheap these are going to be. Like, I want to cry tears of extreme happiness.

Not that I can afford one or anything, but still...it's a good sign, I think.Tell me about it :D I paid $625 for my 7900 SCs :( Hmm...... STEP UP (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

john19055
05-17-06, 10:35 PM
they done made a killing off the 7800 and 7900 cards especialy the 7800GT and the 7900GT ,these cards will just be gravy and it they did'nt sell it that cheap and made it a $1000 ,I don't think they would sell very good .they will have 1.4ns memory on them and if they overclock any where neear where my 7900GT KO did 1950 and 1860 , it will be a good chance they will overclock good unless they get to hot or don't have enough juice on the amps on the 12v rail.

superklye
05-17-06, 10:50 PM
Tell me about it :D I paid $625 for my 7900 SCs :( Hmm...... STEP UP (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)
hahaha...if you step up, they'd owe YOU money. :p

lee63
05-18-06, 07:27 AM
hahaha...if you step up, they'd owe YOU money. :pI think I will have to pay for shipping :) Oh well (pirate)

harshw
05-18-06, 10:47 AM
Wasn't one of the reviews saying that there was little difference between X1900XT in CrossFire and Quad SLI ?

One of the reasons I *might* not buy the 7950 is that the X1900XT has better IQ ( read: less crawling in textures ) and the ability to do HDR+AA. But again, if anyone remembers David Kirk's interview in which he was talking about MRT's and the inability of current hardware to do HDR+AA - well it looks like this is why HDR +AA does not work in GR:AW. It cannot be enabled in ATI cards even with a patch ( as in Oblivion and the "Chuck" patch ). In this case, ATI's advantage of AA+HDR becomes academic.

So the real question is: When does Crysis come out because I would need two of these babies to game on the 30" 3007 @ 2560x1600 ! :D

stevemedes
05-18-06, 12:55 PM
The price point of $600 for TWO 7900 gpu's and 1gb of DDR3 mem is simply amazing. How much $ did the 512mb GTX's go for when they first came out? IIRC the reason for the high price of the 512mb GTXs was that DDR3 video memory is very expensive. So 600$ for 2 gpus with 1gig on a single card is sweet. This would only make sense as a single card solution tho.

im usually a midrange guy that likes to take the most overclockable components and push them to their max... however with this price i might just have to save up. Just so im clear, if you run it as a single card and not in SLI you can take advantage of the 1gb of memory right?

harshw
05-18-06, 01:56 PM
Just so im clear, if you run it as a single card and not in SLI you can take advantage of the 1gb of memory right?

Even if you take a single 7950GX2 card, you will still run it in SLI mode. And you will have only 512MB of memory. Not 1GB.