PDA

View Full Version : SNK will focus on Wii

msxyz
05-17-06, 11:51 AM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9343

SNK Playmore USA president Ben Herman has claimed that the Wii will receive the most support of any next generation format from the company, due to its greater suitability to the publisher’s traditional 2D games.

According to the interview on Advanced Media Network, SNK Playmore has no plans to release any further titles on the Xbox, and feels 2D games are not suitable for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. Sherman also confirms that Sony of America rejected a number of 2D projects from the company for the PlayStation 2 because they did not correspond to the company’s graphical standards, as well as limiting the number of releases that featured two retro titles in one package.

SNK Playmore has already announced the compilation Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii, making the surprising announcement that the games would be retrofitted to take advantage of the Wii remote rather than just using the “shell” controller.

The company’s plans for the Wii’s virtual console are still unclear, however, with Sherman himself admitting that that he is in talks with Nintendo about older NES and SNES titles, as well as potentially the Neo-Geo AES games for which the company is most famous.

(...)

Indeed, Herman indicated that that the company’s interest in releasing titles for Xbox Live Arcade had been to a degree limited because of a lack of memory and a need to compress game data onto an Xbox 360 memory unit, in order to support users without a hard drive.

|MaguS|
05-17-06, 12:01 PM
Never once is exclusivity mentioned... if anything it just confirms that SNK will release mostly 2D titles for Wii while 3D titles will be made for the other platforms.

But honestly, Who cares... SNK hasn't released a good new title in a LONG time. They use the same lame engine for all their 2D titles which have already been brought to the states countless times. Seriously, look at their release list, majority of the titles are rereleases or atleast running on the same engine they have been using since Metal Slug 1. Release List (http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10807.html)

The last game I truly enjoyed from them was Metal Slug 2 and The Last Blade 2 on the Dreamcast.

msxyz
05-17-06, 12:27 PM
I've changed the thread title to make it less "sensational". It's clear, though, that SNK has concrete plans only for the Wii for now.

While SNK still appears on the list of developers for Microsoft Live Arcade, they are clearly not happy with the 50MB imposed limit. They could still distribute their AES games compressed along with an emulator to recreate the feeling of play a Neo Geo game. Time will tell.

SNK has become a shadow of its former glory. They didn't survive the transition from 2D to 3D and didn't have the will or the skill to re-invent themselves. Everyone knows SNK for 2-3 franchises but they didn't try to push themselves out of their corner, not even after the merger with Playmore. Not smart.

|MaguS|
05-17-06, 12:30 PM
I can see the issue with the 50MB limit due to many of their titles being over 50MB even in ROM format but I dout they will go fully exclusive, they do have acouple 3D fighting games released on the Xbox and PS2 so I dout those would be exclusive to the Wii especially since they mainly only mention 2D titles in this press release.