PDA

View Full Version : Japan market survey about PS3

msxyz
05-17-06, 05:15 PM
http://www.yoronchousa.net/webapp/vote/graphdetail/?id_research=426&type=2&attr_type=1

At least the numbers are readily recognizable ;)

For you lazy guys, (it's only japanese, how hard can it be ? :D ) the survey is divided by age, plus there's a summary where total percentuals are computed.

Male

Buy on launch date: 4.13% (169 votes)
Buy when the games I want come out: 16.25% (706 votes)
Not buying PS3: 78.62% (3217 votes)

Female

Buy on launch date: 5.79% (14 votes)
Buy when the games I want come out: 10.74 (26 votes)
Not buying PS3: 83.47% (202 votes)

If someone with better understanding of the japanese can give a proper translation, (s)he's welcome. Most of the people who took part in the poll were between 20 and 40yrs old.

If the samples were taken under the right conditions, then it is safe to assume those statistics relates to the general population, with a margin of error. If it's another clueless internet poll, then it's worth nothing

PikachuMan
05-17-06, 05:45 PM
If the samples were taken under the right conditions, then it is safe to assume those statistics relates to the general population, with a margin of error. If it's another clueless internet poll, then it's worth nothing

Meh, not exactly sure what group the survey is targetted at. If it's general population of japan, then that's insane.

Japan's population = 127,463,611 (July 2006 est.) [source] (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ja.html)

Survey indicates ~5% of people buy a PS3 at launch, which works out to be 6.3 million units. o-o

msxyz
05-17-06, 06:17 PM
By general population I meant computer literate people with interest in the games/media.

It doesn't make sense to stop people in a grocery and ask if they would buy a PS3. :lol:

Mr_LoL
05-17-06, 07:53 PM
OMFG. That means the ps3 is going to fail miserably :rolleyes: How many xbox 360's have microsoft sold in japan then msxyz? I'll bet the PS3 will sell more.

saturnotaku
05-17-06, 08:49 PM
PS3 is going to wipe the floor with the 360 in Japan. I would be willing to bet my paycheck that PS3 will sell in 1-2 months what the 360 has done since it launched there.

superklye
05-17-06, 08:51 PM
PS3 is going to wipe the floor with the 360 in Japan. I would be willing to bet my paycheck that PS3 will sell in 1-2 months what the 360 has done since it launched there.
Exactly. Which is why the people that keep saying the PS3 costs way too much and no one is going to buy it are just dumb. Sony owns Japan, literally and 1337ly.

evilchris
05-17-06, 08:52 PM

It's because the Japanese have national pride. I wish Americans did.

PikachuMan
05-17-06, 08:54 PM
It doesn't make sense to stop people in a grocery and ask if they would buy a PS3. :lol:

From what I've read, that might not be so far out for Japan. They just love their techno-toys over there.

S.I.N
05-17-06, 09:44 PM
Wow, really? The PS3 will outsell the X360 in Japan?

What I want to see is a poll on the size of the PS3 and if it will prevent them from buying it. I read that many Japanese did not buy the XBox becasue it was too big but now the PS3 is bigger and heavier than it.

lognoronon
05-17-06, 09:54 PM
Exactly. Which is why the people that keep saying the PS3 costs way too much and no one is going to buy it are just dumb. Sony owns Japan, literally and 1337ly.

While I'm not going to disagree with the owning japan portion........Calling people dumb who think it costs too much is a little jacked up. It most certainly costs too much as a gaming console which is what some folks want from it me included. When you factor in the blue-ray ect of course it's not too much but thats for the folks that want the blue-ray player. I personaly will not be owning an HD TV for most likely another 3-4 years because of cost. It therefore means nothing to me having a blue-ray drive. Not everyone has a crapload of cash to burn due to having to worry about a family ect. The Wii is looking better and better everyday as far as I'm concerned.

superklye
05-17-06, 10:01 PM
While I'm not going to disagree with the owning japan portion........Calling people dumb who think it costs too much is a little jacked up. It most certainly costs too much as a gaming console which is what some folks want from it me included. When you factor in the blue-ray ect of course it's not too much but thats for the folks that want the blue-ray player. I personaly will not be owning an HD TV for most likely another 3-4 years because of cost. It therefore means nothing to me having a blue-ray drive. Not everyone has a crapload of cash to burn due to having to worry about a family ect. The Wii is looking better and better everyday as far as I'm concerned.
Read my post:

"Which is why the people that keep saying the PS3 costs way too much and no one is going to buy it are just dumb"

I didn't say that people who think it costs too much are dumb. I said people who think it's not going to sell because it costs too much are dumb.

People paid over $1000 for Xbox 360s...why is the PS3 going to be any different?

lognoronon
05-17-06, 10:12 PM
Sorry about that but I got tired of people acting like the damn thing was cheap. It's a lot of money for a whole lot of folks. I don't think it will be any different for people paying $1000 for it though. People that have the cash will pay that much for it like they always do. Doesn't mean I agree with an item that has an msrp of $600 being sold for $1000 but that's a whole other issue on ethics and I won't get into that.

superklye
05-17-06, 11:52 PM
Sorry about that but I got tired of people acting like the damn thing was cheap. It's a lot of money for a whole lot of folks. I don't think it will be any different for people paying $1000 for it though. People that have the cash will pay that much for it like they always do. Doesn't mean I agree with an item that has an msrp of $600 being sold for $1000 but that's a whole other issue on ethics and I won't get into that.
Heh, i know, but if people are willing to pay... ;)

I don't know...there are plenty of expensive toys out there...I don't forsee Sony having any problems selling millions and millions of units. I guess we'll just have to wait to see what REALLY happens though.

msxyz
05-18-06, 02:30 AM
The PS3 will sell out certainly at lauch. There's no doubt. The early 5-6M of units will be in the domain of early adopters and people will be willing to pay outrageous prices at eBay to have it.

The real question is what will happen after. Microsoft is right when it says that whoever reaches 10M of units has a definitive advantage. It's an avalanche effect. A larger market draws more developers which, in turns, convince more gamers to buy the console for its games. Of course a large portion of the population is price-conscious (or fund limited) and would never buy a console at its full price launch.

The Bluray player inside the PS3 might be an advantage for early adopters but in one year there will be standalone Bluray players cheaper than a PS3. HD-DVD drives are already selling at 500$ and cheaper models are on the way before the end of the year. BR players will follow a similar trend.

ENU291
05-19-06, 08:44 AM
It's because the Japanese have national pride. I wish Americans did.
QFT!

Knot3D
05-19-06, 01:23 PM
Well, i do indeed hope PS3 launch sales will be less than stellar which in turn will force them to lower the price.

Like ppl say. The Wii is looking better and better....