PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: CRT vs. LCD

Pages : [1] 2

robertonumeruno
05-19-06, 09:50 AM
People are telling me that CRT monitors are better for gaming than LCD. I think that LCD has a crisper picture. why would they be an advantage over LCD?

Tygerwoody
05-19-06, 10:16 AM
People are telling me that CRT monitors are better for gaming than LCD. I think that LCD has a crisper picture. why would they be an advantage over LCD?
advantages of CRTs over LCD's are:
faster refresh rates
0 ghosting

However, I still hate using CRTs. They kill my eyes.

ynnek
05-19-06, 10:27 AM
Yup.. Maybe if you bought a high end CRT and do gaming all the time..

But if you spend any time reading text, you'll quickly appreciate LCD's alot more.

CaptNKILL
05-19-06, 10:28 AM
Because they are much more flexible with resolutions and they generally have better contrast and brightness, no ghosting and a better selection of refresh rates.

CRTs look good at any resolution. LCDs generally look horrible at anything but their native res. At that resolution they look amazing usually, but if your system cant handle the latest games at that res, youre screwed. Also, the native (max) resolution on an LCD is generally not as high as a CRT vs the size of the screen. For example, my 19" CRT can do 2048x1536@60hz or 1600x1200@75Hz. Most 19" LCDs will be limited to 1280x1024.

CRTs (especially ones like mine with a "super bright" mode) have far better contrast and brightness than most LCDs. This can make things look much more lifelike\detailed if you tune them properly. I almost always use super bright mode when playing games because it looks so much better. It almost looks like HDR except its totaly free performance wise.

CRTs dont have "ghosting" either, which generally makes them better for fast paced games where a blur could be very exagerated. Most newer LCDs dont have anywhere near as much ghosting as older ones though. My brother's 19" LCD with a 2ms response time has pretty much no ghosting, though most screens are in the 8-12ms range.

Also, the refresh rate may not matter much visually on an LCD, but if people dont like tearing and they like to use vsync, having your LCD limited to 60hz or 75hz may limit your performance more than you like. Its not that big of a deal really, but CRTs dont have that limitation.

LCDs usually have much better screen geometry than CRTs, are usually consistantly sharper at their native resolution and obviously are TINY compared to CRTs. The screen area is usually larger on a 19" LCD vs a 19" CRT as well. They can also have some extra cool features (monitor controls through the PC via the DVI port, USB ports...).

Obviously the biggest plus is the size. I think thats the main selling point for LCD screens.

CRTs are still far better for many things, but LCDs deffinitely have their place and most people just prefer them because they look sleek and save a HUGE amount of space.

Riptide
05-19-06, 10:44 AM
The big thing with gaming that CRTs have over LCDs is the ghosting as people have already mentioned and also no input lag problems.

Personally I've used LCDs since the 2000FP came out - and I don't intend to ever go back. And that was coming from using Sony GDMF500/F500R displays, top of the line CRTs.

ynnek
05-19-06, 10:54 AM
my gateway fpd2185w does a pretty good job with scaling for gaming (i set my vid settings to let the monitor handle the scaling)

With my 6800GT, i run games at 1280x800(keeping the 16:10 aspect ratio) and they look fine. Even the crosshair looks fine and ingame text.. some text in CS Source, like when browsing the ingame server list, you can kinda tell some scaling is being done if you look close, but in actual game play, it looks fine.

Of course I run at the native rez 1680x1050 any other time.. Since I spent 50% of my time reading text for work and web surfing/email and stuff, its well worth it.

Anyways, in the end, just use whatever you want..

saturnotaku
05-19-06, 11:14 AM
Scaling at non-native resolutions on modern LCDs isn't nearly as bad as it was in the past. With NVIDIA's drivers offering the ability to use fixed aspect ratio scaling, I can get non-native resolutions on my 2005FPW to look just as crisp as if they were at 1680x1050. There are black bars on the sides of the screen, but that's something I can more than live with, especially in older games that don't support widescreen.

I had LCDs, then went back to CRT for a while. Now I'm all LCD. The space and weight advantages are reason enough, not to mention how far the technology has progressed to make LCDs a compelling alternative to CRTs.

CaptNKILL
05-19-06, 11:20 AM
Scaling at non-native resolutions on modern LCDs isn't nearly as bad as it was in the past. With NVIDIA's drivers offering the ability to use fixed aspect ratio scaling, I can get non-native resolutions on my 2005FPW to look just as crisp as if they were at 1680x1050. There are black bars on the sides of the screen, but that's something I can more than live with, especially in older games that don't support widescreen.

I had LCDs, then went back to CRT for a while. Now I'm all LCD. The space and weight advantages are reason enough, not to mention how far the technology has progressed to make LCDs a compelling alternative to CRTs.
Yep, its technology like this that has made me actually consider an LCD recently.

Im going to hold out for a while longer though.

robertonumeruno
05-19-06, 11:45 AM
Thakns a ton all of you, I learned something today...
so for a bottom line: should I trade in my 20" LCD for a 19-20" CRT? I game a ton, but I also use aim, xfire, and myspace. anybody have any suggestions? Ive been LCD for about 2-3 years so I have no clue what it'd be like going back.

CaptNKILL
05-19-06, 12:02 PM
If youre fine with an LCD, just stick with it. LCDs are the future, despite some of the shortcomings. Eventually they will be worked out and we'll all switch. If you arent having any problems with your LCD, dont bother switching over to CRT.

Tr1cK
05-19-06, 12:08 PM
Just a note: LCD sizes are listed as viewable screen size, CRTs are not, they are mostly about 1" smaller than they're designated.

ViN86
05-19-06, 12:56 PM
i have a 19" CRT and 19" LCD both hooked up to my computer atm. i game with the CRT, but tbh, i dont notice a difference between my LCD (12ms response, no dead pixels, no/very little ghosting) and the CRT.

i just like playing source at 1600x1200, so i have the CRT hooked up.

robertonumeruno
05-19-06, 01:17 PM
i have a 19" CRT and 19" LCD both hooked up to my computer atm. i game with the CRT, but tbh, i dont notice a difference between my LCD (12ms response, no dead pixels, no/very little ghosting) and the CRT.

i just like playing source at 1600x1200, so i have the CRT hooked up.

that's probably what I'll end up doing.. just buying another.. and switching them every time for what I need

Neophyte
05-19-06, 03:19 PM
My experience is CRT is a Oven.. heats up your room! Really i can tell... LCD is much colder, i can tell that aswell.

Ghosting ? Nah.. i don't think so... crisp and clean. No more bursting head's.

come on

LCD:
Small
Less heat / power consumption.
crisper picture over CRT.
19'' LCD is bigger then 19'' CRT
No Refreshrate problems.

CRT:
Big
More heat / power consumption.
(i'm sorry but i think lcd is far better)
19'' is allot of space required on desk.
Refreshrate... (dot pitch... etc.. etc..) Depends on model.

It all depends on what you compare the two with. I mean there are allot of CRT and LCD models... each is better then the other.... it's all ca$h that give's you the best.

Today's LCD monitors are great... it's all about how much youre willing to pay... LCD's can TOP over CRT's! just a few examples mentioned above.

Riptide
05-19-06, 03:27 PM
lol

If I had a dime for every "CRT vs. LCD" thread I've seen over the last two years.

Sazar
05-19-06, 03:46 PM
lol

If I had a dime for every "CRT vs. LCD" thread I've seen over the last two years.

You'd have 4 bucks :smoking:

CaptNKILL
05-19-06, 05:14 PM
You'd have 4 bucks :smoking:
:lol:

ViN86
05-19-06, 05:40 PM
My experience is CRT is a Oven.. heats up your room! Really i can tell... LCD is much colder, i can tell that aswell.

Ghosting ? Nah.. i don't think so... crisp and clean. No more bursting head's.

come on

LCD:
Small
Less heat / power consumption.
crisper picture over CRT.
19'' LCD is bigger then 19'' CRT
No Refreshrate problems.

CRT:
Big
More heat / power consumption.
(i'm sorry but i think lcd is far better)
19'' is allot of space required on desk.
Refreshrate... (dot pitch... etc.. etc..) Depends on model.

It all depends on what you compare the two with. I mean there are allot of CRT and LCD models... each is better then the other.... it's all ca$h that give's you the best.

Today's LCD monitors are great... it's all about how much youre willing to pay... LCD's can TOP over CRT's! just a few examples mentioned above.
we couldnt tell :p

yea i agree, the way these things are advancing, theres really no reason to go back to CRT. only real benefit they have imo is their versatility when it comes to resolutions.

saturnotaku
05-20-06, 08:51 AM
only real benefit they have imo is their versatility when it comes to resolutions.

There's also cost relative to supported resolutions/refresh rates. You can get a good CRT that can do 2048x1536 at 85 Hz or better for around $500, Try getting that in an LCD.

|MaguS|
05-20-06, 08:52 AM
CRT all the way! GDM-FW900 rocks any LCD!

AthlonXP1800
05-20-06, 10:39 AM
CRT has low radiations (http://www.emf-bioshield.com/emf/arecrt.html), if you playing games for longer periods like 8 hours every day, it will be bad for you as it affect your body cells, caused many symptoms like motion sickness which lots of people experienced with Half Life 2 on CRT. LCD does not have any trace of radiations.

mullet
05-20-06, 10:45 AM
I love my NEC FE2111sb CRT. the Super bright modes rock.

robertonumeruno
05-20-06, 12:55 PM
lol

.. u'd have ten cents... stfu... haha

OWA
05-20-06, 01:19 PM
I gave up CRTs at work when they started to be phased out. At home, it was a hard decision to give up my Sony 21" CRT but the Dell 24" LCD finally swayed me. It's probably the best hardware purchase I've made in quite a while, I just love it. It did take a little while for the transition though (i.e. get use to LCDs).

SH64
05-20-06, 01:27 PM
I prefer CRTs for gaming aswell for some reasons mentioned already above + they are cheaper.
however the new gen LCD's are getting much better than before (contrast ratio , brightness , high res ..etc) so its still not a bad idea to get .. like a 19" LCD for gaming :D