PDA

View Full Version : Floating trees and dodgey distant land

Sticky Mick
05-19-06, 03:44 PM
Hi guys:D
Not been around for ages. Various reasons as well as being too engrossed in Oblivion:rolleyes:
First off I've just recently upgraded to a 6600GT/128 from a FX5500/128. I was playing Oblivion via Oldblivion on the 5500. Since getting the 6600 I've been running the original Oblivion, patched to v1.1.0.425 beta. I deleted my Oblivion.ini from My Documents to make sure all the Oldblivion tweaks were gone and started from fresh, but I seem to be getting the following graphical bug (as in screenshot):

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5021/screenshot107wm.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot107wm.jpg)

Otherwise the game is fine on my system:
ASUS A8V Deluxe AMD64/3000+
Nvidia 6600GT/128
1Gig GEIL Dual Channel 400Mhz RAM (2x512)

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this, or is it a known bug that's still in the queue for a fix?

eli
05-19-06, 04:12 PM
Where's ya grass as well:P

SH64
05-19-06, 04:17 PM
What about playing without the beta patch ?
also did you try playing without mods (if you have any) ?

CaptNKILL
05-19-06, 05:12 PM
I cant say I have ever noticed that.

Have you messed with the oblivion.ini at all?

msxyz
05-19-06, 05:24 PM
Looks like the background plane. Did you exit from a town in any other way than from the front door ? :D

CaptNKILL
05-19-06, 05:28 PM
Looks like the background plane. Did you exit from a town in any other way than from the front door ? :D
:lol:

Yep thats what happens when you do that.

de><ta
05-19-06, 05:40 PM
Do you have distant lands option enabled? I have seen those floating trees when you muck around with some of the options in that setting.

And another thing with the grass, simply disable all the physics associated with the grass (ie it moving about in the wind) and the game will run fairly smoothly with the grass enabled.

Sticky Mick
05-20-06, 03:54 AM
Where's ya grass as well:P

I honestly think the grass looks pants, unless there's an ini tweak to shorten it's length, it makes you look like a midget.:D

It's a fresh ini, so not messed about with anything yet and I always use the doors out of the cities. I know how that works, the door is the trigger to load all the outside location, no door trigger, no full exterior.

Only got a land texture replacement mod (Jarrods new texture mod) But can't disable this unless I reinstall Oblivion

Distant lands is enabled, but not mucked about with the settings.

Thanks for the suggestions guys;) I'll try some of them later.

eli
05-20-06, 06:34 AM
Do you have distant lands option enabled? I have seen those floating trees when you muck around with some of the options in that setting.

And another thing with the grass, simply disable all the physics associated with the grass (ie it moving about in the wind) and the game will run fairly smoothly with the grass enabled.

I'm unaware of the ini command that deals with the grass moving in the wind, could you share this pearl of wisdom please?

Sticky Mick
05-20-06, 11:54 AM
I'm unaware of the ini command that deals with the grass moving in the wind, could you share this pearl of wisdom please?

Trying to find that myself. Or if anybody knows of a Flymo mod anywhere:p

Decided to do a complete re-install of the game. Jeeeeez(throwpc) what a palava that was. Couldn't uninstall it at all. Deleted the registry key, then rebooted to find my wireless k/board and mouse knocked out. Reinstated those to find it still wouldn't uninstall. Anyways finally got it re-installed and it's a lot better now. The last time I had that much trouble I was trying to get rid of a trojan. http://bestsmileys.com/silly/14.gif

de><ta
05-22-06, 05:06 PM

It is under the grass section. There are two variables for controlling the motion of the grass in the x and y direction (towards the end of the section). Setting these to 0 will stop the grass from moving completely. There is also a similiar set of variables for the trees.

I find that especially near oblivion gates there is a lot of wind and this causes the grass to move a lot near these locations. Helps a fair bit with slowdowns.

Sticky Mick
05-23-06, 03:04 AM
I was actually looking for something to cut the grass, 'cos I think it's too long. Can just barely see over the top of it in some areas. But having said that, I've noticed with a lot of FPS games that it looks like you're too close to the ground. As if they've got the perspective wrong.

Thanks anyway;)

Twigbutt
05-23-06, 07:34 AM
Here's the mod to shorten the grass. I use it cause like you said it makes my guy look like a dwarve without it. He is a Bosmer and already has small-man syndrome. (always starting fights with Nords and Orcs) :p

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/2069.html

Sticky Mick
05-24-06, 03:30 PM
Ahhhh! The lawnmower man cometh:p

Cheers twigbutt :thumbsup: