PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia sound card on Fedora 4

Aiyuki
05-20-06, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I've been trying to install my sound card on Fedora 4 and it doesn't seem to work, well I can install it, but the device doesn't seem to be using the driver.
It's an onboard AC on an Nvidia Nforce 4 chipset. (Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Contro ller (rev a2) )

My system is an AMD64 3000+
I've managed to get all my other devices working correctly from Nvidia's drivers.
Relatively easily, just issues with this sound card.
It is loading the driver, I can see nvsound there when I use lsmod.
If I look in hardware brower, it seems to have the orginal driver from fedora install.. Not Nvidia's.
It's probably some kind of configuration error, I modified the modprobe.conf from reading on Nvidia's site. It may be abit messed up, but I think it should load the drivers correctly from this module.conf as follows;
alias eth0 r8169
alias eth1 r8169
# alias eth2 forcedeth
alias forcedeth off
alias eth2 nvnet
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
# alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias snd-intel8x0 off
alias i810_audio off
alias snd-card-0 nvsound
options snd-card-0 index=0
install nvsound /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install nvsound ; sleep 1; /usr/bin/nvmix-reg -f /etc/nvmixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove nvsound { /usr/bin/nvmix-reg -f /etc/nvmixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove nvsound
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
options r8169 irq=4
options forcedeth irq=4
alias dev14042 via-rhine
alias dev30495 via-rhine

If anyone could help me out with this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

ViN86
05-20-06, 02:47 PM
are you using ALSA?
did you install the nvidia drivers off the site or are you compiling the drivers from a kernel?

a12ctic
05-20-06, 07:01 PM
fedora 4 is utter ****, get something better ;) id suggest zenwalk 2.4, ubuntu, or debian

Aiyuki
05-20-06, 07:41 PM
I'm using the official Nvidia drivers.
No, I'm not using ALSA.

Is Fedora Core really not good? I may try another distro.
But I would like to see if this works.
Anything I could try to get this working?

I've always used Redhat, I used to use Red Hat 9. I rebuild a new system recently, which is why I decided to try out Fedora.

Thanks for the help.

a12ctic
05-20-06, 08:40 PM
I'm using the official Nvidia drivers.
No, I'm not using ALSA.

Is Fedora Core really not good? I may try another distro.
But I would like to see if this works.
Anything I could try to get this working?

I've always used Redhat, I used to use Red Hat 9. I rebuild a new system recently, which is why I decided to try out Fedora.

Thanks for the help.
redhat based distributions always seem messy to me, maby its just me...

ViN86
05-20-06, 09:40 PM
i used to use slackware. its definitely a favorite of mine. i ran ubuntu for a while as well and liked it, but not as much as slack. problem with slack is its GUI features, or lack there of, hehe.

why are you not using ALSA? id highly recommend downloading the ALSA libraries and compiling/running them. ALSA is amazing imo.

http://www.alsa-project.org/

Aiyuki
05-20-06, 11:10 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll give ALSA a try.

ViN86
05-21-06, 09:27 AM
im pretty sure if you compile your own kernel you can add the required libraries/drivers and have them load as modules. sorry, i havent compiled a kernel in forever so i cant verify that :(

Aiyuki
05-22-06, 08:07 AM
I'm working on installing ALSA now, I'll see how this goes.
Hopefully it will work.

Well, tried ALSA. Having a problem with the ALSA Utils;

When I run ./configure;make;make install for the utils I get this:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.11/alsamixer'
gcc -g -O2 -o alsamixer alsamixer.o -lncurses -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread
alsamixer.o(.text+0x1568): In function `mixer_update_cbar':
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.11/alsamixer/alsamixer.c:991: undefined reference to `snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_dB'
alsamixer.o(.text+0x158b):/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.11/alsamixer/alsamixer.c:992: undefined reference to `snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_dB'
alsamixer.o(.text+0x18dd):/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.11/alsamixer/alsamixer.c:1012: undefined reference to `snd_mixer_selem_get_capture_dB'
alsamixer.o(.text+0x1900):/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.11/alsamixer/alsamixer.c:1013: undefined reference to `snd_mixer_selem_get_capture_dB'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [alsamixer] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.11/alsamixer'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I was the following a guide from here(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Nvidia&card=.&chip=nForce&module=intel8x0#Inst, ALSA drivers and ALSA lib seemed to install ok, just having issues with the utils.

Any ideas how to fix this?