PDA

View Full Version : My Oblivion is now a dodo

Sticky Mick
05-20-06, 07:26 PM
I thought this deserves a new thread as it's a major pain in the proverbial rectum.

My Oblivion is completely shot. After a huuuuuuge struggle to uninstall it, (last time I had that much trouble it was a trojan). After manually removing it from my hard drive and deleting all traces in the registry. I managed to re-install it. That's when the hassle started. First off, after the game installed, the installer wouldn't quit "Fair enough, I'll do it manually".

Once I started the game everything was fine. Created a new character, whent through the beginning, got out of the sewers and entered one of the white ruins. While exploring, the mouse stopped responding properly when I entered some water. So I saved the game and quit. After reloading and carrying on, the game crashed to a black screen when going through a door. I had to restart via the reset button on the PC. Now the game won't even get past the map screen at the beginning. I'm thrown back to the desktop with Windows Error Report showing when I try to load a saved game and clicking "New Game" then "Yes" on the map screen won't even start a new game.

Anyone got any ideas what could have caused this? Noone has answered my post on the Official Oblivion Forum:( So I'm stuffed at the mo.

Thanks in advance;)

CaptNKILL
05-20-06, 07:39 PM
If you can get it to install properly again, give the beta patch a try. If that doesnt do it, Im not sure what to tell ya :o

Sticky Mick
05-20-06, 08:00 PM
I've got the beta patch installed already. Think I'll battle through the uninstall malarky again and see if I can get it going again. Despite all the little bugs and glitches it's been fine 'til now. I've sent an e-mail to Take 2 Support, see if they can come up with anything.

Thanks anyway captNKILL;)

SH64
05-20-06, 08:03 PM
Dunno if this has anything to do with your problem , but did you scan your PC for viruses , trojans or adware ? .. just a thought.

if yes then i'd second the clean reinstallation suggestion.
oh & stay away from any mods until you make sure the game is running ok.

Rytr
05-20-06, 08:45 PM
It will be difficult to find your problem but the suggestion to look for Trojans and/or adware, malware, etc. it a good re-starting point.
A clean install or setting up another HDD will possibly be the best solution.:(

Sticky Mick
05-21-06, 03:36 AM
Well guys, I did a system scan with A2, this actually found 3 so called trojans, but these were false positives (Some files to do with EA's Lord Of The Rings Battle for Middle Earth) They always appear after I've played that game. However, as A2 was scanning AntiVir kicked in and said 1 virus or unwanted file was found (AntiVir actually listed it as a trojan). Can't remember what this was but it was linked to an official screensaver which I installed ages ago along with the Arx Fatalis game. So I uninstalled that and went through the virus trojan removal process and shut down system restore to make sure it didn't return. Oblivion still wouldn't run, so I went through the uninstall palava again and shut down the machine and went to bed. Re-installed Oblivion again this morning. Installer didn't hang this time and the game is up and running again. No patch or plug-ins as yet, but I'll see how it all goes, I've so far got to the sewers, after the breakout with no probs.

Strange why that trojan was never picked up before because I installed Arx Fatalis ages ago. I've got A2HiJackFree running in the background now but it's showing all clear.

Thanks again for the suggestions and replies:thumbsup:

ElGuapo
05-23-06, 09:17 AM
Stop overclocking your system. Its amusing how you kids abuse your CPU and graphics cards then wonder why things crash.

Sticky Mick
05-25-06, 04:09 AM
:bugeyes:Overclocked?? Mine's all running at stock. :bugeyes:Kids?? I'm 25yrs old with 20yrs experience;) = 45yrs

Acid Rain
05-25-06, 04:32 PM
:bugeyes:Overclocked?? Mine's all running at stock. :bugeyes:Kids?? I'm 25yrs old with 20yrs experience;) = 45yrsCome back when you're 79, boy. Till then, we won't listen to you! :D

So, what happens that makes it difficult to uninstall? This should go smoothly, so the problem may very well be connected.

Now, I don't usually recommend this kind of thing, but, maybe after you uninstall it, run a good registry cleaner (help me out guys, what's a good one? ;) ) to remove any funky business that may be going on in there.

a12ctic
05-25-06, 05:13 PM
Stop overclocking your system. Its amusing how you kids abuse your CPU and graphics cards then wonder why things crash.
its amazing how ignorant this post is :p

CaptNKILL
05-25-06, 06:57 PM
LMAO

My IQ just dropped...

Sticky Mick
05-26-06, 03:05 AM
So, what happens that makes it difficult to uninstall? This should go smoothly, so the problem may very well be connected.

Now, I don't usually recommend this kind of thing, but, maybe after you uninstall it, run a good registry cleaner (help me out guys, **what's a good one?** ;) ) to remove any funky business that may be going on in there.

It just kept chucking up a .dll error each time, even when I used the setup procedure. It works on some pooters but not on others. My bro said that he succeeded on his machine. Just wierd. But a s'pose, from experience, you could have 2 100% identical machines, a game will work on 1 but not on the other.

Eventually I did a "Find Files" and deleted all instances of Oblivion from my HD and then used **CCleaner** (also known as Cr@p Cleaner) to clear the registry, I then went into the registry to make sure.

Re-installed without a hitch and so far so good;) . I've been in contact through-out with 2K via e-mail, as they are interested in compiling a guide to assist other peeps that are having similar probs.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys;)

nekrosoft13
05-26-06, 08:02 AM
.dll error? what dll? little more info please

does Oblivion use installshield? i don't remmember now

Sticky Mick
05-27-06, 08:54 AM
Well, this is wierd. Spooky even. I've just tried to replicate the error but the soddin thing doesn't show now. I had to do a re-install again last night 'cos the game (which was patched) crashed to a black screen when I was exiting the sewers in the Imperial City. I had to restart the PC by the power button and I was presented by an "Overclocking Failed" warning by the BIOS, and the machine is NOT O/C'ed in any way and never has been. I couldn't even load a save game or start a new one.

Maybe Oblivion doesn't like my PC full stop:( I aint gonna give up though. It's running again unpatched. I'm certain it isn't my hardware because everything else runs fine.

Acid Rain
05-27-06, 05:25 PM
It can still be your system, even if everything else works properly. Some games expose a weakness in your setup that will never be seen, at least, not for a while, when playing other games.

Overclocking failed? Sounds like maybe you have some sort of default auto-overclocked mode enabled in bios. Check it out. Also, systems specs would be helpful.

I've never had issues like that, and the majority of others don't either. I believe you do indeed have something silly going on in your machine.

Sticky Mick
05-28-06, 01:04 AM
ASUS A8V Deluxe / AMD 64/3000+
1GB GEIL PC3200/400 RAM (2x512 in Dual channel)
Nvidia 6600GT/128 AGP 84.21 Drivers
Creative 5.1 Digital PCI
Aopen DVD-ROM (Master)-\
-----------------------------IDE Channel 2
Artec CDRW (Slave)-------/
120GB Maxtor IDE (Master)-\
-----------------------------IDE Channel 1
Iomega ZIP 100 (Slave)-----/
60GB Maxtor on RAID (configured as IDE)

I've had my system checked a couple of days ago over at the shop where I bought all the hardware (although I built the system myself), he says he can't find any issues with it. Although he does say similar to you, that Oblivion's a funny game. He says he built 2 identical SLI systems and only one of them runs Oblivion. Manufacturing tolerances can come into the equation, where 1 CPU will have a tiny flaw and it would still pass through QA on the production line. What he did say though was invest in a new PSU as I'm only pushing 18A on the 12v RAIL, a bit low for what I've got. Gonna do that next week.

|MaguS|
05-28-06, 07:33 AM
I just uninstalled and reinstalled for the 4th time... the game keeps crashing for me. I think its a mod but I can't figure out which one...

Sticky Mick
06-03-06, 01:49 AM
Try disabling each mod in the Data Files and running for a while, if it crashes, disable the next mod and so on. You should find the culprit then;)

Got mine running stable again. No patch, no mods. Gonna leave it like that now 'til the stable release of the patch.