PDA

View Full Version : DVD style game boxes

smallSHEEP
05-21-06, 02:43 PM
According to ign to IGN they are changing the style of game boxes:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/709/709462p1.html

This confused me as I've been getting my games in DVD cases for 4 years or more? Is this a USA thing only?

|MaguS|
05-21-06, 02:48 PM
In the US many PC titles still are shipped in DVD Sized Cardboard Boxes, not actual DVD Cases.

CaptNKILL
05-21-06, 02:55 PM
Yeah all of my games are in small cardboard boxes or double wide dvd style cases (they are roughly the size of the cardboard ones) but the two I ordered from the UK are both in normal DVD cases. Flatout and Crashday.

Lfctony
05-21-06, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it's been like that since 2000ish I think. Real space savers if you ask me. :)

Belarnion
05-21-06, 04:45 PM
Maybe it's the grey horizontal lines at the top of the box that is new?
I mean: plastic DVD-boxes for games has been around for years now. I've not seen carboard boxes for a long, long time.

smallSHEEP
05-21-06, 05:25 PM
Just had a quick rumage and found 5 games from 2001 and they all are in plastic DVD boxes so I guess I've been used to this for the last 5 years.

http://www.alphaven.ch/Stuff/games.jpg

CaptNKILL
05-21-06, 05:42 PM
This is probably only related to the US. There are very few (if any) PC games that come in slim DVD boxes here.

Jackrabbit710
05-21-06, 06:16 PM
All mine are Dvd cases, but when I went to New York and bought Ghost Recon, I was suprised they were still using boxes! You do feel like your getting more for your money though,

CaptNKILL
05-21-06, 06:46 PM
Yeah I like the boxes. DVD cases take up a little less room but I just really like boxes for games. Probably just remembering that old feeling of opening up a PC game box way back in the day. It doesnt feel the same with a plastic case.

Its a shame they are doing away with them. Im glad I kept most of mine :)

Badboy_12345
05-22-06, 04:48 PM
havent seen an box for ages here in Sweden :p

agentkay
05-22-06, 05:37 PM
My first paper box in years was FEAR (5 CD version) that a friend from the US has sent me.

jolle
05-22-06, 05:49 PM
havent seen an box for ages here in Sweden :p
The only ones I have are Dungeon keeper 2, simon the sorcerer 2 and stuff like that.
In a way Ive been missing the old cardbord boxes, nicer to look at, manuals and stuff in them, not that Im much for reading manuals tho..
On the other hand the DVD cases are alot easier to store and take alot less space so they are prolly better in the end anyway..

Brimstone7
05-22-06, 07:29 PM
Most of the games I've purchased recently (here in the US) come inside paper sleeves shipped inside of small cardboard boxes. They are about 1/4 the size of the boxes they used to come in but still seem pretty wasteful. It's annoying because some games come in jewel cases, some in DVD cases, some in double-wide DVD cases, some in paper sleeves, etc. Would be nice if they were all in the same format (DVD cases are a nice choice because they match most modern console games).

stevemedes
05-22-06, 11:24 PM
I personally will always be fond of cardboard boxes. Something about opening it up and pulling all the cds and manuals out makes me excited when i get a new game.

oldschool boxes ftw

Peoples-Agent
05-23-06, 08:17 AM
Madness, I just assumed everywhere was using the standard plastic cases these days lol

Do you remember the HUGE chunky boxes we use to get ....lol They were the days.

The best way to do things, is a box that opens from the top and has the plastic DVD game and other goodies inside.

Think UFO Aftershock, Act of War and Doom3 all did this.

crainger
05-25-06, 10:08 PM
Here is Australia we have mostly Double Wide DVD cases or Small Boxes with the a DVD or Jewel case. There are still the odd Full Size boxes for new release games.

I too remember the good old days when you opened the box and tipped it up and the CD jewel case, fell out along with a manual that left bruises on your lap from the impact, i.e. MechWarrior 2

I'm in favour in any sort of packaging that reduces the chances of the paper slip. I.e. FEAR. When I spend $89AUD on a "Collectors" Edition I expect the expensive little DVD to come in atleast a slim Jewel Case.

Acid Rain
05-28-06, 12:21 AM
Just had a quick rumage and found 5 games from 2001 and they all are in plastic DVD boxes so I guess I've been used to this for the last 5 years. You suck! :D

Here in the Megadrome (US) our media situation is stuck in the stone age. CDs as far as the eye can see.