PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

aaahhh52
05-21-06, 09:08 PM
Ok so here is my problem, i'll try to explain as clearly as possible.

Ok so starting about a month or 2 ago, i would just be doing normal things like browsing the internet and such and my hard drive light would come on and usually stay on and i would keep hearing about a 2 second buzz, it would usually go to a blue screen and i would restart, upon restarting i would almost never make it past the windows loading screen and i would continually have to restart, i would try taking the battery out and letting it sit for about 10 mins (its a laptop) sometimes it would start to work sometimes it wouldnt.

It seemed to be a random event that happened every once in a while(over about a 2 month or so period) so i just ignored it. Well it happened again last night, and once again today, except today was a little bit different. It was working perfectly fine today i left came back about an hour later and i had a black screen flashing that the network adapater failed or could not be found and it said check the cables.

Well to make a long story short i cant get past the windows loading screen, and when i change the boot order to network adapter first, i get the same message about how it cant be found, and when i try putting the hd first or 2nd it just freezes like its been doing. Im guessing shot HD but the network adapter problem just makes me wonder. Sorry for the long story anybody have any ideas?

*edit* this laptop is only about 2 years old, although over the past few months it has been getting increasingly slower, and its only had about 2500 or so available ram and thats been dipping into the 1500's lately while just browsing the web(says taks manager). it used to hold at a steady 3500 or so. Ive defraged, ran numerous virus scans, and spyware setups but found nearly nothing, i keep getting the same few annoying pop ups almost everytime i start up the web, saying that im vulernable to the mydoom virus and stuff like that, and everytime i X out of them it half sizes my window and goes to a website where they want me to download a spyware program, i always just close out not thinking to much of it, but i wonder if this could be part of the problem.
(Hp Pavvilion 5000zv
AMD mobile xp 3000+
512mb PC2700
Nvidia 4200 GO 32mb
80gb HD

snowmanwithahat
05-21-06, 11:15 PM
sorry dude, but honestly it sounds like the same problem i've had with my rig. I had a hard drive go bad on me, it might be the same thing, it doesn't really make alot of sense at this point though, maybe it could be the motherboard?

aaahhh52
05-22-06, 04:19 PM
Yeah def seems like the HD , i called hp and they told me it was the hd as well, but i did format it and was reinstalling windows to the point where it had 31 mins left and it then told me that it couldnt write certain files because of a hardware or network problem so it pretty much stopped. So yeah looks like i'll be on the old dell desk top for the next year :bye: :(

*even though once i told the tech support person about the network adapter failing and it said check cables she was like yep, 90% chance it was the hd crashing. How can the network adapter be related to the hd? or did she maybe misunderstand me and think that it said check cables for the HD?

aaahhh52
05-22-06, 06:10 PM
Update: Now im pretty much just confused, I completely reformatted and deleted the partition, created a new one, and now i got to the desktop but its pretty much froze there with the hd light constantly on.

OWA
05-22-06, 07:53 PM
How does it go if you try to boot into safemode? Also, did you do a disk check on the hard drive to check for bad clusters, etc?

aaahhh52
05-22-06, 10:05 PM
How does it go if you try to boot into safemode? Also, did you do a disk check on the hard drive to check for bad clusters, etc?
Safe mode it will start to list all the drivers then it just freezes at the last one, or what im guessing is the last one. Ive done disks checks, and during one scan i did today it says something and its list a bunch of files i'll have to do it again because i cant remember what it says. THe 2nd time i did it it said something about recovering orpahned files. On another note i was able to get to the desktop for about 10 mins with the pc running horrendously slow and the HD light on almost constantly, i was able to send a microsoft error report and it said that it had trouble reading the HD and that caused my crash . I then rebooted and it was like i was at square one, i would get to the windows loading screen and it would do a quick bsod back to the bios startup and just keep repeating.

OWA
05-22-06, 11:59 PM
I just had something like this happen at work (with removable drives). I never did get it fixed. I ended up putting another drive in and mounting the initial drive so I could recover files. Doing a disk check on the drive found all sorts of orphaned files, invalid indices, etc and when it started deleting things, it was deleting important sections (like c:\windows).

It pretty much acted the same way. It started with a BSOD and then when trying to get into safemode to see what was going on, it would usually hang at the end of safemode doing it's thing. Occasionally, if I let it sit there a *long* while, I'd get the login dialog but the system would usually hang shortly after or while trying to login.

aaahhh52
05-23-06, 09:42 PM
Yeah i figured im pretty much screwed. Oh well gives me a good excuse to get a sweet gaming laptop like i've always wanted.

OWA
05-23-06, 11:07 PM
Can't you just get another hard drive or are you looking for a good excuse to upgrade. :)

aaahhh52
05-24-06, 01:09 PM
Can't you just get another hard drive or are you looking for a good excuse to upgrade. :)

I guess i could get another hd, but im not sure how easy or hard it is to install one in a laptop, and yeah of course a good excuse for upgrade.

OWA
05-25-06, 11:17 AM
Usually the HD is very easy to replace. Just check the bottom of the laptop. You should see a panel cover for it probably secured by 2 or 3 screws. Just take those out, the panel should pop off and you can remove the drive. It might be worth it to just remove the drive and then put it back in, in case there was just a bad connection or something.

OWA
05-25-06, 05:24 PM
You need to get this notebook. :)

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_notebooks.html

aaahhh52
05-27-06, 10:19 AM
You need to get this notebook. :)

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_notebooks.html

Wow yeah that would be nice, to bad it would probably cost more then my car lol.

Anyway owa i did what you said, unscrewed the cover to the hd, popped it out (surprisingly easy) and stuck it back in, it works like a charm now, very strange, i still dont trust it, but for now it works, thanks for the advice!
You just saved me quite a bit of money if this thing keeps on working!

aaahhh52
05-29-06, 12:45 PM
Update: Ok so my pc was working fine for the past few days but it started to get slower and lock up yesterday. Once again it froze and would not start, i figured i would do what i did last time, and take out the HD and stick it back in, well that worked the first time. But it happened later again that night. This time when i rebooted it said Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

So now im just about done with this HD, its really starting to piss me off.

a12ctic
05-29-06, 12:57 PM
try reformatting it...

aaahhh52
05-29-06, 01:54 PM
try reformatting it...
This would be my 3rd time doing that this week, thats why im so annoyed.

OWA
05-29-06, 01:55 PM
He has tried that.

I'd probably try to get another hard drive although it's really weird that it starts out okay and then stops working. If you get another hard drive, make sure the return policy is good so you can return it if the new HD doesn't help.

Edit: Is there a cable that it attaches to or does it just plug into the bay somehow. If there is a cable, you might want to try replacing that. Maybe there's a short or something.

a12ctic
05-29-06, 02:02 PM
have you checked how hot it is with speedfan?

aaahhh52
05-29-06, 05:04 PM
He has tried that.

I'd probably try to get another hard drive although it's really weird that it starts out okay and then stops working. If you get another hard drive, make sure the return policy is good so you can return it if the new HD doesn't help.

Edit: Is there a cable that it attaches to or does it just plug into the bay somehow. If there is a cable, you might want to try replacing that. Maybe there's a short or something.
There is no cable it just plugs into the bay. No i havent tried speedfan, maybe if i decide to try and get it running again i'll check that out.