PDA

View Full Version : GRAW running 100% utilization even @ normal priority...

stevemedes
05-21-06, 09:20 PM
Alot of people have found that GRAW defaults to high priority under the task manager in windows and this causes the game to run at 100% utilization of the CPU, causing lots of lag. Well GRAW defaults to normal priority on my computer, yet still task manager shows CPU utilization at 100% and it kinda messes with my gameplay experience.. anyone else have this problem or anyone know a fix?

K-1
05-22-06, 12:45 AM
hmm what sort of problems is it causing for you? it shouldn't be a problem, it runs at 100% CPU use for me also, some other game i own do the same thing, and they all run smoothly. I believe most games generally are supposed to run that way anyways, the only difference being that some games will reduce CPU usage when you alt+tab out of them.

|MaguS|
05-22-06, 01:03 AM
Most games run at 100%

SIN1 runs at 50% CPU Usuage for example...

jolle
05-22-06, 04:34 AM
yeah this is not a problem, as mentioned alot of games do that.
I also get 50% CPU usage in GRAW, due to to dual core, hence 100% on one core.

Lfctony
05-22-06, 10:40 AM
Yep, majority of games use 100% of the cpu...

stevemedes
05-22-06, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. Just wondering why people on the ubi and gr.net forums were setting the game to run at normal instead of high in order to have the game not run at 100% utilization. GRAW is the only game i play that runs at 100%, it causes undue choppiness and certainly mouse lag and keyboard delay. i can tell these issues are with the game itself and not with my system. even though i dont have the most high powered system i can play quake 4, CS:S all on 1280x960 with AA/AF added. whereas graw is at 1024x768 and low texture detail :(. oh well, play the cards your dealt i suppose. hopefully the june patch for this game will fix alot of these issues.

Lfctony
05-22-06, 12:03 PM
Well, my brother is running it on a system with a 3500+, but he has 2GB ram and an X1800XT, no choppiness or slowdowns except some rare moments. That's at 1280x1024 with everything set on max...

mrrolf
05-22-06, 12:33 PM
I'm just curious to why you wouldn't want your games to run at 100%. If you run at 50% utilization, then you're theoretically getting only 1/2 the frames per second you could be. If the game runs at 1% or 100%, it should be polling the keyboard and mouse every frame. Not sure why you'd be getting laggy/choppiness there.

stevemedes
05-22-06, 01:05 PM
mrrolf, not sure either, gotta ask the developers i guess

jolle
05-22-06, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just wondering why people on the ubi and gr.net forums were setting the game to run at normal instead of high in order to have the game not run at 100% utilization.
Im pretty sure setting priority does nothing for CPU utilization, it just makes sure that nothing with a lower priority uses CPU cycles at the cost of something with higher priority. Which can cause problems with the system if you put a game at too high priority since other vital parts of the OS isnt getting the CPU cycles they need..
So lowering it to normal, instead of high, would allow the OS and other processes to access CPU at equal terms if they need to.
I recall my mouse cutting in and out in MoH with a higher priority for example.
You mean the game starts with "High" priority? EDIT nm I saw you mentioned it DOES in the first post.. /EDIT

Some games seems to reserve all CPU, while others dont..
Ultima Online for example, a very light game, ran full 100% all the time.
While others use what they need at the moment, very low CPU utilization in that type of game can perhaps hint to GPU bottleneck, CPU doesnt need to work very hard to keep up with the GPU..

stevemedes
05-22-06, 04:06 PM
well theres a few bottlenecks i perceive on my system:
1) cpu cache (s754 2800+ on has 512k IIRC)
2) gpu memory clock (800mhz) my card has DDR1 mem
3) only 1 gb RAM

this would explain why im experiencing what i perceive to be stuttering.
guess i'll just have to upgrade.

jolle, thanks for your reply i found it helpful in explaining cpu utilization

agentkay
05-22-06, 04:24 PM
All my games run at 100%, but my CPU is kind of sucky, so I donīt complain. :D Try out the 84.66 drivers and set the frames render ahead setting to 1 or 0 frames.

stevemedes
05-22-06, 05:44 PM
hmmm 84.66, are those better than 84.56? which is what im using now.

agentkay
05-22-06, 05:46 PM
I remember someone said that they are performing best with GRAW so far. I didnīt try them out yet though.

vandalous
05-22-06, 07:27 PM
I'm running on 84.66 and still had KB lag even after changing the Frames Render Ahead setting from 3 down to 0 incrementally. The only way I could fix my KB lag was to ALT+TAB and set the priority to normal.

Now the game is running perfectly on my rig. Well, as perfectly as it could run, I guess. ;)

stevemedes
05-22-06, 09:32 PM
I just installed the 84.66's and i must say they are much smoother than the 85 series drivers. i always fooled around with the settings and found maximum performance/IQ with the following settings.... max frames to render ahead also set to 0

Res: 1024x768@85hz
Texture quality: medium
Anisotropic: off
dynamic lights: on
dynamic shadows: off
effects quality: medium
post quality: medium

does anyone know if vsync is enabled on this game by default?

STAT*BDA*
06-29-06, 03:34 AM
I have same problems with GRAW
OS Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 V5.1.2600
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Expert
2.0 GB of OCZ PC3200 400 MHz Ram
e-GeForce 7600 GT
Auditgy 2 ZS
Seagate 300GB EIDE HDD
Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S

Latest drivers for everything
Kill all unnecessary processes while game is running including FIREWALL and ANTIVIRUS
Have checked for virus and spyware - nothing
Hangs when in lobby, hangs when looking at map single player, drops connections during multiplayer, and the CPU is at 50% (100% on one processor), have tried setting affinity to both CPU0 and CPU1 to no avail
Process Priority reads NORMAL

No other game behaves this way, not SCCT, not Latest Tomb Raider, not Silent Hunter 3, not HL2

I think this is one BUGGGGGGY half baked for PC game, even called ISP and we ran download and upload diagnostics with NP.

Superfly
06-29-06, 03:38 AM
graw pc was a let down IMHO - the game itself rocks but the engine and team behind the tech suck major balls.